Post-Game Talk: Habs spank Sens, 5-2!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Middle of the pack is where I hope the Habs finish this year. We get to watch good hockey and we still get a good draft pick. Habs were supposed to finish bottom-5 this year so it's good to see some progression, our real competitive window begins in the next few years when Suzuki, Brook, and Poehling join the team

Not me, I rather a 5-10 range pick and better shot at the lotter win vs a 10-18 range pick. Not saying we can't hit with a 10-18 range pick but it could make a major difference in our ability to get a significant piece. Take Sergachev at 9th for example. Then go look at how many hits there are between 10-18. I'm sure you can cherry pick McAvoy but lets not ignore all the picks from 10-18

Jost, Brown, McLeod, Bean, McAvoy, Kunin, Chychrun, Fabbro, Stanley, Bellows. It's early yet but I think we need a sure shot type vs a guy with hope right?

Reactions: habsgirl5000

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
1/4 of a season? I guess you missed some good games.

He started to produce last year on febuary 24 2018 against Tampa Bay ( wake-up call against his former team?)
He got 17 points in his last 22 games ( 4 goals 13 assists) and he started this season with 10 goals and 25 points in 28 games.

That's 14 goals and 42 points in his last 50 games.

50 games is more then 1/4 of a season (61% of a season) and those 14 goals 42 points become ( when projected on a full season ) 23 goals and 69 points.

He still haven't kept this production for a complete season yet, he got some bad games, some brain cramps too but saying he got only playing good for 1/4 of a season is complete b.s.
50 games spread over two seasons ? come on now...

20 something decent games -> then a FOUR MONTHS BREAK -> then another 20 something decent games...

what you're calling B.S. is actually a fact, Habs (thus Drouin) have played more or less a 1/4 of the season. Wether he was hot or cold at the end of LAST season doesnt change that fact.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Guys on the bottom 6, especially 4th liners have to bring an energy game pretty much every night or they are gone, as they dont have the skill set to compensate.

Many/ most skill players you often dont notice in a good way unless they are involved in a goal or scoring chance.

MB has been goofing around with the energy 4th line guys for years ( except Rads ), but this past summer he added skill players with that kind if energy. Whereas before it was just Gallagher and a lower skilled Shaw, maybe Danault, we now have added Domi and Tatar.

And I do think it has a synergy and culture effect. Drouin for example has an all out guy in Domi with a high enough skill set to generate opportunities with Drouin, it's not left all on Drouin to create something and hopefully Shaw bangs in a rebound. I think Domi and Tatar make the other guys around them better. They are like mini power forwards.

Good post.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Not me, I rather a 5-10 range pick and better shot at the lotter win vs a 10-18 range pick. Not saying we can't hit with a 10-18 range pick but it could make a major difference in our ability to get a significant piece. Take Sergachev at 9th for example. Then go look at how many hits there are between 10-18. I'm sure you can cherry pick McAvoy but lets not ignore all the picks from 10-18

Jost, Brown, McLeod, Bean, McAvoy, Kunin, Chychrun, Fabbro, Stanley, Bellows. It's early yet but I think we need a sure shot type vs a guy with hope right?

Under no circumstances can we pick 18th. It is our doom.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Purely a guess but I'd say he wants to see sustained improvement not a hot streak maybe hold off on your crow comments until closer to seasons end.

Sustained improvement? He is playing like a full on stud. Thought you guys wanted talented players. He’s playing as the best forward we have had in 10 years what the f*** else are you looking for? Just enjoy it.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I feel the same about Duchene. Not 100% sure about him but I do know we need a bit more offensive fire power and the idea would be to go all in IF... Karlsson was interested. Aside from Duchene or winning the draft lottery, what are the other options to add an offensive piece up front?
If that's the plan then okay. Assuming Domi and Drouin keep up their current game..adding Duchene+EK would do wonders...not to mention Kotka should be better.

HabsFan76

Nov 3, 2011
Canada
At the end of the day it's the quality of this team that will determine their final standing. If the Habs are a legitimate playoff team they will continue this level of play to the end of the season and if they're really a bottom-feeder we can expect a regression in due time.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Under no circumstances can we pick 18th. It is our doom.

I think 5-10 range would be perfect and I would not have a problem with 10th. This means we are still playing entertaining hockey but we get a significant pick even if we don't win the lottery.

Hughes (C)
Kakko (RW)
Cozens (C)
Dach (C)
Podkolzin (RW)
Turcotte (C)
Lavoie (RW, C)
Newhook (C)
Boldy (LW)
Suzuki (C)
Zegras (C)
Byram (D)
Broberg (D)
Krebs (C)
Caufield (RW)
Kaliyev (RW)
Robeertson (D)

Look at the centers here. I think teams snag them up left right and center in that top 10. Then maybe we can choose the best from Byram, Boldy, Broberg, Lavoie, Kaliyev.

I think a 10-12 range pick won't be terrible for us. But at 18, it's a hit or miss and I prefer higher probability of hitting another grade A prospect. Power forward winger who can score or a stud on LD.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well that was the off season plan that Bergevin sold to Molson in order to keep his job!!!! :laugh:

I always was concerned with the Ontario boy signing with the Habs... even with Weber and Price to help convince. Dahlin and Stastny were realistic options. We just didn't win the lottery but we did get Kotkaniemi which changed things at center for us. Kotkaniemi and Domi have changes things a lot.

I think Molson is scared to fire Bergevin, write off his contract, and then be forced to find an advisor to hire the new GM. I hope Molson is listening... you need to start to look into this cause it can creep on you fast buddy and you are not qualified to hire the next GM. Target Yzerman and lets change the culture of the Habs. Pay him and let him do his job.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I think 5-10 range would be perfect and I would not have a problem with 10th. This means we are still playing entertaining hockey but we get a significant pick even if we don't win the lottery.

Hughes (C)
Kakko (RW)
Cozens (C)
Dach (C)
Podkolzin (RW)
Turcotte (C)
Lavoie (RW, C)
Newhook (C)
Boldy (LW)
Suzuki (C)
Zegras (C)
Byram (D)
Broberg (D)
Krebs (C)
Caufield (RW)
Kaliyev (RW)
Robeertson (D)

Look at the centers here. I think teams snag them up left right and center in that top 10. Then maybe we can choose the best from Byram, Boldy, Broberg, Lavoie, Kaliyev.

I think a 10-12 range pick won't be terrible for us. But at 18, it's a hit or miss and I prefer higher probability of hitting another grade A prospect. Power forward winger who can score or a stud on LD.

LOL. What I meant was, we have picked at 18th OA and our last 4 were
-Leblanc-Bust
-Chipchura-4th Liner
-Brad Brown-6th/7th D
-Matt Higgins-Bust

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
J Quenville?
Hopefully, simply hiring someone will obviously turn around everything. It doesn't matter this team was top of its division for multiple years then started a fast and so far good rebuild. Management needs to go so we can start the cycle all over again.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Tampa, Buffalo, and Toronto have left us in their dust, they flew by us like an F1 car racing a Honda civic

It's pathetic really

Tampa has been better than us for a while now. Leafs and Sabres sucked for 10+ years so it's reasonable to assume they would pass us with the picks they accumulated. Habs are not going anywhere with the middle of the pack strategy we have had for many years now.

The only pathetic thing I think is our inability to do what it takes to be a cup contender for several years. The strategy has been "make the playoffs where anything can happen" for many years now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heffyhoof

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
Tampa, Buffalo, and Toronto have left us in their dust, they flew by us like an F1 car racing a Honda civic

It's pathetic really

And? Sorry trying to find the point here. Bad teams get better and good teams decline, some faster than others. Tampa for all it's power hasn't won a cup, in 5-7 years fans will be crying about that team never having been good enough if they don't, and Toronto and Buffalo were awful just recently.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We are in the same boat with Yzerman as we were with Tavares....it's a dream and he won't want to come here, he also doesn't speak French (that I know of)

I agree, I am not sure if Yzerman is interested even if we pay him more than others are willing. But I'd certainly inquire about it. The door is not closed until it's closed for us. Pride plays no factor with me. I can accept a no answer.

As far as speaking French... I think this is BS and it limits us. However, mods recommended against talking about the language issue so I'll stop there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->