Confirmed with Link: Habs sign Thrower

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Skills, size and toughness

already a good offseason start

He's actually undersized by NHL defenceman standards. I like the signing. You can't have too much defensive depth. A longshot to be an NHLer, but his toughness will always intrigue. He will find it more difficult to play a physical style at the pro level given his size, but I have little doubt that he won't be dissuaded from trying.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Thrower is pretty much a nothing prospect to me, so I can't really get excited nor dejected about his signing. I'm sure it will mean something to Hamilton season ticket holders over the coming years at least, but not me.

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
Thrower is pretty much a nothing prospect to me, so I can't really get excited nor dejected about his signing. I'm sure it will mean something to Hamilton season ticket holders over the coming years at least, but not me.

Some kind of Thrower-way player once his contract is over then..? - :sarcasm:

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
He's actually undersized by NHL defenceman standards. I like the signing. You can't have too much defensive depth. A longshot to be an NHLer, but his toughness will always intrigue. He will find it more difficult to play a physical style at the pro level given his size, but I have little doubt that he won't be dissuaded from trying.

You know by any chance Habs ever thought of converting him to wing? He seems like a long shot for a D but as a bottom 6 W that fights I think he has the tools.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

A really longshot to ever make it to the NHL for sure. Still a good enough prospect to deserve a first contract. The kid had a terrible year last yaer and he responded this year. But he's so far behind that for me, it's incredibly clear that this kid starts his pro career with Wheeling.

Halifaxhab*

Let the kid have a camp before he goes to the echl. There is openings in Hamilton, he has a shot if he steps up. But he was a project when picked, so at least 3 more seasons before we can label him ready or a bust.

Analyzer*

Let the kid have a camp before he goes to the echl. There is openings in Hamilton, he has a shot if he steps up. But he was a project when picked, so at least 3 more seasons before we can label him ready or a bust.

Most likely one of Nygren, Beaulieu, Tinordi and Pateryn make it.

Say it's Beaulieu and Nygren is traded/goes back to Sweden. That's two positions filled right there.

Now, let's also add in that Montreal signs NO veteran help for Hamilton AND we somehow get rid of Drewiskie (buyout/trade/goes to Europe)

That leaves 4 spots for Thrower, Ellis, Bennett and Dietz.

While all are likely to play in the ECHL, Ellis and Dietz both played in the AHL last season. The habs will want to see what they can get out of Bennett. There's a good possibility that Drewiskie will be there and if he's not some other experienced Dman will be imo.

Someone has to go to the minors and considering he didn't see any pre-season time last season (along with Ellis) it's a good bet he (or Ellis) will be in the ECHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad