Confirmed with Link: Habs sign Otto Leskinen to 2 year ELC

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
The upside is a free asset, at minimum should help Laval.

Downside is the success rate of Euro free agents has been low. Panarin was the grand slam, Zaitsev looked good for awhile. The Sharks among others have found players. Several goaltenders made the jump including Bob.

Last summer these signings doubled across the league, from recent signings looks like there will be a lot again this year.

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
Anyone seen this kid play ? Habs Eye on the Prize article offers pretty good insight on what type of player he is but it's hard to find any highlights.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Undrafted Dman who has developed well enough to earn a pro contract. Who knows how well he will play in NA.

Nothing burger for now

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Undrafted Dman who has developed well enough to earn a pro contract. Who knows how well he will play in NA.

Nothing burger for now

Gotta have some fishing lines in the water, if we're going to get any bites. It's not earth-shattering but it's part of what all orgs do. Let's see what Bouchard can do with him.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Anyone seen this kid play ? Habs Eye on the Prize article offers pretty good insight on what type of player he is but it's hard to find any highlights.

I saw him last year and at the development camp but I'm drawing a blank on him.

Jerabek, v.2 ?

They don't compare at all since Leskinen broke out in Liiga at 21 as he put up more points this year in 57 games then he did in his career in 121 games (mostly 19/20). Jerabek at 21 had only 8 pts in a weaker league and didn't break out till he was 23 and still in a weaker league. He didn't come over till he was 26, that said we have had terrible luck with our undrafted Euro picks, I like Sklenicka as maybe in a few years he gets a cup of coffee in the NHL and Jerabek does have 8 pts in 37 NHL games so if Leskinen can progress over the next few years then we might have something.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I saw him last year and at the development camp but I'm drawing a blank on him.

They don't compare at all since Leskinen broke out in Liiga at 21 as he put up more points this year in 57 games then he did in his career in 121 games (mostly 19/20). Jerabek at 21 had only 8 pts in a weaker league and didn't break out till he was 23 and still in a weaker league. He didn't come over till he was 26, that said we have had terrible luck with our undrafted Euro picks, I like Sklenicka as maybe in a few years he gets a cup of coffee in the NHL and Jerabek does have 8 pts in 37 NHL games so if Leskinen can progress over the next few years then we might have something.

Yeah I like that he's not too old. There's still room to improve. Not so much with Jerabek. I'm not holding my breath either but I like that they're taking a swing on a guy who actually has some upside. Never anything wrong with that.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Seems like a offensive D type but needs to learn how to be reliable in his own end. More than 2/3 of Kalpa's team were (-) players last season and Leskinen -17 was 3rd worse with another D man worse than him at -23.

Another Fleury type but on the LD side maybe? Interesting to note that Fleury was a -61 with Kootenay in 16/17 but once he was traded to to Regina, he was a +23 in 51 games. His first AHL year he was -16 which is tied for worse on the Rockets.

You just illustrated why +/- is a completely meaningless stat when applied to an idividual player. It is a stat that is only meaningful to clueless fans who don't understand the game.

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
Do you have anything constructive to say? If not, move on. It's an observation on two type of players who produce offensively as D man but were ranked near the bottom on their teams in +/-.
... Mean jack**** to be honest... +/- is a team/situational stat mostly... Should be compared to the rest of the team also considering time on ice, pp and pk usage... You can be -61 and STILL be the best defensive player on your team, context is important when looking at that particular stat... I get your point but it's irrelevant honestly imo... Unless it looks particularly bad compared to his teammates of course but still not a "real"/personnal stat per say

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->