Confirmed with Link: Habs sign Nick Cousins (1 year, $1M AAV)

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Who cares if Kulak is on the third pair? Then the third pair just becomes much better than last year. Kulak-Juulsen is a much better pair than Benn-Folin. They'll just play more. If Chiarot-Petry don't mesh well, you put Kulak there.

No idea how some make a big issue out of this.
I think Chiarot will be a pleasant surprise

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Byron can play in a top-six role. No business to be on a 4th line.

It's funny with Byron. He usually starts the season on a 4th line, then through his play and maybe some injury luck, he finds himself back in a more prominent role.

He's a guy that has to prove himself every year (more than others) , and I admire that he just keeps his mouth shut about it, and does not feel entitled to anything. He just works hard, and gets back in the same spots he was the year before.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Who cares if Kulak is on the third pair?

Nobody should care. Our #4 and #5 defencemen each played a similar number of minutes in the second half of the season. In fact, among all three of our LDs icetime was distributed more or less evenly. The only outliers on our defence corps were Weber and Petry, who played 22+ minutes a night and, as a consequence, #3RD becomes a #6 defenceman with less icetime then LDs.

Kulak-Juulsen is a much better pair than Benn-Folin.

It should be a better pair. And if Chiarot works with Petry, our blueline should be in a pretty good shape.

No idea how some make a big issue out of this.

The reasons are clear. A considerable part of posters here have ZERO confidence in Bergevin. So, unless the roster looks significantly improved on paper RIGHT NOW, they are not willing to give him a benefit of the doubt and entertain a thought that his tweaks might have actually made us a better team.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
The reasons are clear. A considerable part of posters here have ZERO confidence in Bergevin. So, unless the roster looks significantly improved on paper RIGHT NOW, they are not willing to give him a benefit of the doubt and entertain a thought that his tweaks might have actually made us a better team.

Well yes, I could have put it like that too since it seems like one of the main reason is the continuous hatred on Bergevin and the concept of incremental betterment, the concept of 1-2-3-4 lines and its relation to icetime, and other such things. A lot of it is ideological and its makes the discussions rather pointless. It's not like Julien hadn't already talked about this multiple times through the seasons too...

Mister Hab

Nov 21, 2018
Expecting good things from Nick Cousins, sounds like the he will fit right in with the work ethic of our Habs, another player that loves being a Hab, Great for the playoffs!!!...:vhappy::vhappy::vhappy:

Yup, could be a playoff warrior for us...you need grit/toughness in playoffs...gets tougher and tougher in the REAL season (playoffs). Have to make the playoffs AND go far in it (not just make the playoffs). Cousins should make us harder to play (a la Brandon Prust) vs easier.

We have 3 NHL D, perhaps none of them should ideally be on a top pairing but our D is set. It may not be ideal but there is not a gaping hole.

Gardiner is not a 1st pairing D. He had inflated numbers with Toronto and is a turnover machine who is also one of the softest defenders in the league. Throw in the back problems and this is why he is not signed. Each...point.

Anyways.....We are in a Nick Cousins' thread, people

Yup, Gardiner is soft as butter and is a turnover machine (surprised there were Hab fans here who wanted to add him...and our LEFTIE side is full now: Chiarot, Kulak, Mete, and Reilly as #7-8 dman...or 4th LEFTIE dman). I don't care if it's $4-5mil/yr or $3mil/yr for Gardiner...why would you want to add such a SOFT SOFT dman who EASILY lets forwards crash the net or go to the net?

Back to Nick Cousins: imo, he might end up being our next Brandon Prust (the Prust we had in the first 2-3 seasons, not the last season). Cousins might sometimes be good for our 3rd line (and not just the 4th line).

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Yup, could be a playoff warrior for us...you need grit/toughness in playoffs...gets tougher and tougher in the REAL season (playoffs). Have to make the playoffs AND go far in it (not just make the playoffs). Cousins should make us harder to play (a la Brandon Prust) vs easier.

Yup, Gardiner is soft as butter and is a turnover machine (surprised there were Hab fans here who wanted to add him...and our LEFTIE side is full now: Chiarot, Kulak, Mete, and Reilly as #7-8 dman...or 4th LEFTIE dman). I don't care if it's $4-5mil/yr or $3mil/yr for Gardiner...why would you want to add such a SOFT SOFT dman who EASILY lets forwards crash the net or go to the net?

Back to Nick Cousins: imo, he might end up being our next Brandon Prust (the Prust we had in the first 2-3 seasons, not the last season). Cousins might sometimes be good for our 3rd line (and not just the 4th line).
you never know how a player reacts to a new team/environment but I like your comparison to Prust. Keep in mind Cousins is more of an agitator then a fighter.

Two years ago Cousins was a spot player for the Yotes i couldnt stand him.

last year he was easily the most improved player. He played a lot of critical minutes and surprised me with his skill level. He's got some moves and he has moxy. Many Yotes fans kept asking why Cousins was played on the first line during the year at times. It was because he deserved it. He's not going to be quite as good as Shaw was but I think you will like Nick.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
you never know how a player reacts to a new team/environment but I like your comparison to Prust. Keep in mind Cousins is more of an agitator then a fighter.

Two years ago Cousins was a spot player for the Yotes i couldnt stand him.

last year he was easily the most improved player. He played a lot of critical minutes and surprised me with his skill level. He's got some moves and he has moxy. Many Yotes fans kept asking why Cousins was played on the first line during the year at times. It was because he deserved it. He's not going to be quite as good as Shaw was but I think you will like Nick.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Why are people calling him another Prust? He is not as big or strong as Prust,nor is he a fighter. He plays a robust style and has some talent. More like another Weal

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Same size,shoots left though. Habs have lot of energy players now. Prust fought,last guy here close to his mold was ND.
totally different style of player in Cousins vs Weal. Weal is a two way center and I'd be shocked if they are actually the same size. Cousins is a scrappy winger.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
totally different style of player in Cousins vs Weal. Weal is a two way center and I'd be shocked if they are actually the same size. Cousins is a scrappy winger.

Being in Chandler I guess you've seen him more than I. I was hoping he had soft hands,not rock hands. Weal having played there you have a better observation than I for sure. Maybe an inch apart,but more or less same weight.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Being in Chandler I guess you've seen him more than I. I was hoping he had soft hands,not rock hands. Weal having played there you have a better observation than I for sure. Maybe an inch apart,but more or less same weight.
Weal was awful for the coyotes but to be fair he didnt get much ice time. He looked so much better in Montreal.
I think Nick will be more important in his role with the Habs this season then Weal would be. we need some grit in the corners and a little stickiness.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Weal was awful for the coyotes but to be fair he didnt get much ice time. He looked so much better in Montreal.
I think Nick will be more important in his role with the Habs this season then Weal would be. we need some grit in the corners and a little stickiness.

Sounds like you're describing Shaw. Weal from what I saw was more impressive than expected and gained the zone frequently and seemed to improve the PP.

Reactions: azcanuck

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
I still don't know why we signed Thompson in April when we can get a Cousins in July.
Adding depth is a good thing. It forces fringe bottom 6 players to be on their toes and not take anything for granted. Extra bodies can always be sent to Laval or traded for some picks if need be.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
I think Bergevin has ptsd from his centerline up to 2018, he's protecting himself with Weal and Thompson, doesn't want to go to that dark place anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad