Prospect Info: Lukas Vejdemo

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He was invited to a U19 national team tournament in February, but for injured just before that and couldn't make it. Bernhardt did though and was Sweden's best or second best scorer, so I assume Vejdemo would've done well too.

The 5 Nations vs Finland, Czech Republic ,Switzerland, Germany. Do you think he goes to Lake Palcid? I know Sweden should be announcing the roster any day now.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Out of all our secret picks(Avstin, Trunev, Crisp, etc), they only one I remember that panned out is Grabovsky (Sergei K to a certain degree was at least known. You can put him in the panned out list If you want). I take all the compliments towards these secret picks with a grain of salt. In fairness, I take all selections with said grain of salt. Never get too excited, never get too low.

Don't forget Mark Streit...Another good overager picked by Timmins

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Don't forget Mark Streit...Another good overager picked by Timmins

Streit was in his mid-20's. We drafted him to get exclusive negotiating rights. Half the league were looking to sign him that summer and we outsmarted them.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I never heard the term secret pick, is that another way of saying later rounds?

From the horse's mouth.

Grant McCagg ‏@grantmccagg 47s47 seconds ago
This from Trevor Timmins on Vejdmo - "Great player! Secret pick
Missed most of last yr."

I'm guessing it's for picks made out of list?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
From the horse's mouth.

Grant McCagg ‏@grantmccagg 47s47 seconds ago
This from Trevor Timmins on Vejdmo - "Great player! Secret pick
Missed most of last yr."

I'm guessing it's for picks made out of list?

I saw that tweet but never heard of a secret pick before, so what other picks were secret? Does he just mean guys like Galchenyuk that missed much of their draft year to injury? (meaning Vejdemo's first eligible draft year)

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
I saw that tweet but never heard of a secret pick before, so what other picks were secret? Does he just mean guys like Galchenyuk that missed much of their draft year to injury? (meaning Vejdemo's first eligible draft year)

I think it's because traditionally, Swedish draft picks are guys who represented their country once or twice. Probably just meant an under-the-radar pick :dunno:

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
I am excited as everyone but I still have my doubts because dominating J20 isn't exactly a big achievement but it's worth to follow or have an eye on. I guess we will have to wait a year or two before seeing him in the AHL.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I am excited as everyone but I still have my doubts because dominating J20 isn't exactly a big achievement but it's worth to follow or have an eye on. I guess we will have to wait a year or two before seeing him in the AHL.

I'll hop on the bandwagon.. Timmins is excited.. Rockstrom is excited.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
If he makes WJC team, I think it'll be a good indication that he'll be a keeper.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal

Or just like Crisp. Both overagers, both had difficult seasons before being drafted, both have funny names.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Or just like Crisp. Both overagers, both had difficult seasons before being drafted, both have funny names.

yea Crisp was also injured for just about his entire first year of eligibility so I wasn't sure if it was just guys that were injured during their draft year so not many would have seen them that year.

Do we know which player recently drafted was Rockstrom choice?

I can't speak to choice, but I got to think he's seen a lot of just about all our Euro picks.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I'll hop on the bandwagon.. Timmins is excited.. Rockstrom is excited.

Me too. All you have to do is look at the highlights. Of course they don't say everything but my god anyone can see he's got size, skating and some pretty high end skill. Like I'm really shocked at how skilled he was. He looks freaking dominant.

Apparently his 2 way game 'isn't as good as DLR's' but...how many kids that age is as good defensively as DLR? So he could easily be a high end bottom 6er if the skill doesn't quite translate. I'd take an Eller with a better shot in the 3rd round any day of the week.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So maybe DLR, Nystrom, Collberg, Lehkonen, Prybil, Nygren and Westin... Will see but dont put high expectation on Rockstrom feelings.

I was really high on Nygren, thought he might have been a player for us, still could be just sucks how it ended up going so far. Westin is actually been doing better from what I recall hearing. I watch a lot of SHL games when I can, don't know what they saw in Nystrom but it was a late pick anyway. I really bought into the Collberg hype, wonder if he does anything in the future or not. Lehkonen is an interesting one, didn't like the pick because he is so skinny but watching him play he's got guts and skill.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
I would love for Grant to tell us how much Timmins has control over drafts nowadays. What's Bergevin's role..and what is Churla's...

Bergevin's role is to sit back and listen. :)

Churla is the western crossover scout, Frank Jay is the Ontario crossover scout, Boisvert the Quebec crossover scout. Trevor bounces all over and has final say on the draft.

Lapointe, Dudley, Carriere and Ramage also give their input while they are looking at Habs drafted prospects..they noticed when watching Scherbak that Juulsen's game was improving, let Bergy and Trevor know..Frank, Trevor and Shane started paying a little closer attention to him..and made the decision on him.

I know you love reading the tea leaves WS...secret pick just means not a whole pile of teams were scouting him because he is an overager. Trevor is always excited after the draft..as every team is..of course he's going to hype his pick a bit even if for the most part he tries to remain low key..not like Feaster and proclaiming that Jankowski is the best player in the draft.

Nobody is saying Vejdemo is the next Lidstrom..only that there was excitement he was available. As already noted..some players picked in the past were thought to be darkhorses as well and they didn't exactly flourish..only time will tell. I've never seen him play..so won't criticize or laud the pick.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Bergevin always said that draft day was Timmins day, the only hint we have is that after the interview with Galchenyuk he said he wanted him, but that was a top three pick.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal

Churla is the western crossover scout, Frank Jay is the Ontario crossover scout, Boisvert the Quebec crossover scout. Trevor bounces all over and has final say on the draft.

Lapointe, Dudley, Carriere and Ramage also give their input while they are looking at Habs drafted prospects..they noticed when watching Scherbak that Juulsen's game was improving, let Bergy and Trevor know..Frank, Trevor and Shane started paying a little closer attention to him..and made the decision on him.

I know you love reading the tea leaves WS...secret pick just means not a whole pile of teams were scouting him because he is an overager. Trevor is always excited after the draft..as every team is..of course he's going to hype his pick a bit even if for the most part he tries to remain low key..not like Feaster and proclaiming that Jankowski is the best player in the draft.

Nobody is saying Vejdemo is the next Lidstrom..only that there was excitement he was available. As already noted..some players picked in the past were thought to be darkhorses as well and they didn't exactly flourish..only time will tell. I've never seen him play..so won't criticize or laud the pick.

Thanks Grant for the insight on the various roles of management when it comes to drafting.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

No tea leaves reading. My only comment about your post was the fact that if it would have been said on national TV, the expectatoins would have been sky high for this guy and all along his development, we would never hear the end of people comparing him to Lidstrom.....You saying it, while obviously interesting, will be seen mostly by people in here as a great comment to here yet, thank god, nobody is putting him on our top 6 the way we did before with guys like Lahti and Avtsin.

I like the comment and understand it. In the end, last time he was excited about a pick like that was Lidstrom. Excitement is great. But it doesn't, like you said, suggest that it will translate into success. I have no problem with that. I had problems with the pick always for the same FAN reasons...I knew more other players that I would have prefered on that pick. But I'm fine with waiting. Can't wait to see the kid's progression....really excited myself even if we would not have heard about our scout's comment.

I still would have hoped to see this kid in the CHL.....we will see how much icetime he'll be getting. But I'd love to see him in a smaller rink in a more physical game. Cause only based on the vid, the rest of his offensive instincts are really encouraging.

As far as Churla is concerned....so his head scouting job is just one of doing the western crossover? What's that title about? Thanks.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I still think Avtsin just wasn't developed properly.. we brought him over too early.. if he would've been drafted into the CHL and brought him there, things might have been differently.. or had we left him in Russia to develop.. He had some good moments, but the coaching staff in the AHL really didn't do him any favors.

Hope lessons were learned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->