Prospect Info: Lukas Vejdemo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Almost like we're making it a point to make boring picks. It's not like we desperately need offense or something.

He's an offensive centre and our first pick was an offensive defenceman... Also these guys won't be playing for us for 3-4 years so they have nothing to do with our current lineup.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
So he's a 2-way player that won't score in the higher level and his defensive play is his weakness? He had great stats in the Junior league 'cause he was 19 years old. I have no idea what they did there. It's their Crisp and Koberstein moment all over again.

Not so much weakness but it's apparently not a strength. Although Eller almost entirely became a defensive player while in Montreal. He had been used in an offensive role for four years. I think this is a wait and see pick. I think it will be clear a month into next season if it was a terrible pick or not.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
So he's a 2-way player that won't score in the higher level and his defensive play is his weakness? He had great stats in the Junior league 'cause he was 19 years old. I have no idea what they did there. It's their Crisp and Koberstein moment all over again.

TBH, his 18 years old stats weren't bad at all. Though with EliteProspects being wonky at the moment, I can't tell whether this was in U18 or JR.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here

Maybe he's the the nicest guy ever. Did you think about that?

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal

Didn't MB admit a while back that he likes overagers? I believe he pushed for Andrew Shaw.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Grant McCagg ‏@grantmccagg 47s47 seconds ago
This from Trevor Timmins on Vejdmo - "Great player! Secret pick
Missed most of last yr."

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013

This is the 87th pick man you're not getting a stud, also theres not a single one of us who have even seen him play.

Timmins has a good eye for talent and he must've really liked him.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
People paniking is the worst part of the draft day. I think he's gonna be our next Nygren, overager from sweden who's dominating.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
...Eller was an offensive guy when the Blues drafted him...and the few reports I can find say that Vedjemo's two-way play has improved at every level...I really don't mind this pick at all...

That's what I was saying a few posts up. This pick is entirely a "raw" big guy who we're hoping to mold.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Future Consideration scouting report:
Vejdemo has grown a lot over the last one to two years, from being average-sized at best to now a strong and hardworking two-way pivot. He’s got above average speed but lacks power and extension in his stride. Has the balance that allows him to be effective when playing in traffic when contact is involved. He can also create a little separation based on his top speed at this level. Speed is solid overall, maybe his agility could be a little better and he could certainly improve his first step. He’s got decent hands, passing and playmaking skills. His two-way play is a strength as well. He is able to read the play around him and adapt at both ends of the rink. Good hockey sense. Covers for teammates and drives deep into his own zone to stymie opponents’ offensive chances. Both wrist shot and slapshot seem quite heavy, but he does not have the positional instincts of a natural goal scorer. Strong along the boards. Can be pretty physical, battling for pucks and space, even though he is not a tough guy. His wrist shot seems hard, but unfortunately, not always accurate. Has NHL upside as a potential top nine forward, or at worst case, a bottom line two-way threat.

HockeyProspect scouting report:
This Swedish center took a significant step forward in his development this past season. Passed over in last year draft after playing at the U18 level, this year he was probably the MVP of the U20 SuperElit. Vedejmo has been effective in pretty much every area of the game and it will be interesting to see what kind of player he will be able to become at the senior level after an adaption period. He has good puck control and has some power to his shot, but he is not overly skilled and his projection from an offensive standpoint is far from a safe one. However, he has a few things going for him along with his size. He is no stranger to the net, works hard, doesn’t quit on the play and doesn’t mind going into the corners to dig the puck to create opportunities. His strong two-way all around game makes him a candidate to develop into a 3rd liner that can bring some secondary scoring. He is not a flawless skater, his stride seems to have room for improvement, yet he can generate surprising power and use his skating as an asset, for example when chasing the puck. He can stickhandle through traffic, but he can be at fault for trying to do too much, sometimes taking too long shifts. Should further develop his physical game, as it will probably be needed to become the kind of player he projects to be at the next level.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I remember when Trunev was a secret pick too :cry:

But seriously, can't comment on him at all but it's definitely a bold pick considering our lack of picks.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

secret pick in the 3rd round when you don't have a 2nd or a 4th....bold.

And a bit stupid if you can get him in the 5th. But... as somebody said before, they might have been tipped off.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
This is the 87th pick man you're not getting a stud, also theres not a single one of us who have even seen him play.

Timmins has a good eye for talent and he must've really liked him.

But it's not about getting a stud. It's about, to OUR OPINION, getting a very good player than a 173th player rated by a firm, a player that nobody talks about ever.

But hey, Timmins said he's a secret pick. So he's our Datsyuk!!!!! Can't wait.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Grant McCagg ‏@grantmccagg 40s41 seconds ago
Timmins compares him favourably to Wennberg...that type of player.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
I remember when Trunev was a secret pick too :cry:

But seriously, can't comment on him at all but it's definitely a bold pick considering our lack of picks.

Datsyuk woudve been a bold pick too, the fact he's not on everybody's radar is key in drafting a european steal.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I just hope we're not drafting based on size. We need more speed and skill. After the Sekac-DSP trade we're an average skating team.

I'll be rooting for Bournival, Hudon, Andrighetto, Thomas and even Dumont at camp this year. We're a better team with these guys in the lineup. They're fast, young, hard working, and can do things on the forecheck and with the puck.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Very intriguing pick, will be interesting to watch his progression in the next few years.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I'm happy to hear that Timmins still is in charge of the reigns. After hearing MB say that they prioritized a D man and seeing them draft another overager (something MB has admitted he likes doing), I was worried that Timmins didn't have full control anymore.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
But it's not about getting a stud. It's about, to OUR OPINION, getting a very good player than a 173th player rated by a firm, a player that nobody talks about ever.

But hey, Timmins said he's a secret pick. So he's our Datsyuk!!!!! Can't wait.

Absolutely but you cant form an opinion of a guy you're never seen play, you cant compare him, Timmins can.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Grant McCagg ‏@grantmccagg 40s41 seconds ago
Timmins compares him favourably to Wennberg...that type of player.

Timmins confirmed Swedish poster on HFboards? Some guy came into the draft thread and said the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->