Confirmed with Link: Habs sign LD Ben Chiarot (3.5M AAV, 3 years)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
That for sure was the right time and it is MB’s critical failure. He deserves all the **** heaped on him for not making a big play to win then. Or, tearing down and rebuilding. He screwed up and set us back 5 years.

But now is not then and I am thankful that we aren’t giving up high picks for Muzzins and Barries. I thought we should have grabbed Muzzin last year but thank god I’m not GM, we would likely not have Caulfield.

We are clearly on a path now. Deep prospect pool, a number of which might step in this year. We def need another LD, it’s crazy to have Weber play with Mete. But even if nothing happens there we have a very bright future IMO. I don’t get the negativity, camp this year should be awesome with 3-4 young prospects having a shot at making the team.

Re the Leafs, Muzzin and Barrie are both on expiring contracts and they will lose one or both next year for sure. So they better win the Cup this year because it looks like they are going to be on a constant search for defensemen. Dubas may have solved his D problem somewhat for this year but man that D is going to be porous
He didn't solve it this year either imo. Their D may be worse than last year and that's scary... for them. Barrie is good offensively, but his play is downright offensive defensively

Reactions: japhi

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
So it's "official" that Canes intend to match. Have they "officially" matched it? Did Aho actually sign a contract?

upload_2019-7-5_9-2-57.png

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Does anyone have any measurable proof that Chiarot will improve the defense or is the extent of it - we signed him.. Jets Blueline was weak and had to play him top 4 minutes, so he has to be good?

Like Pionk played top four minutes, Benn played top four minutes. All across the league guys play top four minutes who shouldn't be playing them. That doesn't make them good or an improvement.
Benn was soo much better when he got moved to his rightful 3rd pairing. Hence, a much better season for him last year.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
The guy was just made out of glass, he was always injured... and then again, we got him for a 5th round pick... You expected miracles?

Why are there so many excuses for Bergetools bad moves?

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Does anyone have any measurable proof that Chiarot will improve the defense or is the extent of it - we signed him.. Jets Blueline was weak and had to play him top 4 minutes, so he has to be good?

Like Pionk played top four minutes, Benn played top four minutes. All across the league guys play top four minutes who shouldn't be playing them. That doesn't make them good or an improvement.
What do you have though?

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Why are there so many excuses for Bergetools bad moves?
Dude, again, Schlemko's advanced stats were through the roof! We got him for a freaking 5th round pick...

I mean, if you want to be mad about this move it's your choice, I guess...

japhi

Jul 7, 2014

If all across the league guys like Chiarot are playing top 4 minutes maybe we need to adjust our idea on what a top 4 dman is? Very few teams have 4 studs. So guys like Chiarot, and Ziatsev and Tanev and Pionk and Benn, etc etc get 18-20 minutes because there are 31 teams and there aren’t 125 really great d available.

Winnipeg was a pretty good team, with a far better d core then Montreal, and they had him playing similar ES minutes to Myers, who just took 6mm in Van. Is Myers a top 4? He is going to play top 2 in Van.

I don’t know if he will improve our D, time will tell. Like almost everyone here I haben’t watched him play a lot.

Habs are betting on him making us bigger, more physical, improving the PK. And he is fairly young for a dman, breaking out at 28 isn’t that big a stretch. From all reports he improved as last year went on and played his best games in the playoffs. Maybe one of the advanced stats guys can be kind enough to post the playoff charts, I understand his numbers were really good.

Reactions: Archijerej

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
What do you have though?

I have a plethora of metrics that show that he is an offensive black hole. That he gives up more shots than his team takes when he's on the ice. He gives up shots in danger areas more than comparable ice time players.

I also have data that shows that while his metrics are okay when paired with Byfuglien, they drop when he doesn't. Meanwhile Byfugliens stats are better when he's away from Chiarot.

This all backs up the eye test that states he is an ineffective player on defense and a terrible player on offense. He should be a sheltered third pairing guy costing between 1-2 a year who goes out there to eat some minutes against the other teams worse players to give actual top pairing a rest. He shouldn't play top 4 because all a better partner does is make him barely adequate while reducing the overall effectiveness of his partner.

So again, what do you have?

Reactions: stopclickbait

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I have a plethora of metrics that show that he is an offensive black hole. That he gives up more shots than his team takes when he's on the ice. He gives up shots in danger areas more than comparable ice time players.

I also have data that shows that while his metrics are okay when paired with Byfuglien, they drop when he doesn't. Meanwhile Byfugliens stats are better when he's away from Chiarot.

This all backs up the eye test that states he is an ineffective player on defense and a terrible player on offense. He should be a sheltered third pairing guy costing between 1-2 a year who goes out there to eat some minutes against the other teams worse players to give actual top pairing a rest. He shouldn't play top 4 because all a better partner does is make him barely adequate while reducing the overall effectiveness of his partner.

So again, what do you have?

I don't think anyone said we signed this guy to boost our offense or to quarterback the PP...

So why the offensive black hole comment?

Did you take the time to check all the other players on that Peg team? That team is just not that great at possession altogether... It's not just Chiarot...

Maybe it's a coaching/system problem?

Now let's move to big Buff , I find it interesting that a guy who's pretty average in his own zone IMO gets all the credit on that pair...

Chiarot was there to allow Buff to adventure in the offensive zone all the time, of course his possession stats raised when he was paired with Buff, Duhhh....

And yeah they will probably drop when Buff is not there but how is this an indicator of his game? So lame...

The rest is just useless talk.

You say Buff carried him, dude Buff is not that good in his own zone to begin with...

He gets caught pinching often, he takes himself out of position often when trying to make a big hit, he's not a great skater... Yes he can drive offense and skate the puck up the ice but he ain't some defensive stalwart out there!

Here's your Buff getting ridiculized by a third line center!
Phillip_Danault.gif

Reactions: jaffy27

Jul 6, 2016
Benn was soo much better when he got moved to his rightful 3rd pairing. Hence, a much better season for him last year.

Benn was fine on a third pairing. As a UFA he decided to play back home. Good for him. Chiarot will do good if CJ keep his ice time to around 17-18 minutes per game, killing penalties. The guy can hit with the best and block shots for sure. With Petry, he,s gonna be fine. With Juulsen, I don't know yet. Juulsen is not very offensive-minded either.

Reactions: jaffy27

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Teams across the league reached out to Carolina to advice them not to match for the full week to prevent us from offersheeting more players. It’s also likely to give us the middle finger for doing it.
We can still offer sheet whoever we want, Dindon ain't impeding shit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad