Confirmed with Link: Habs sign LD Ben Chiarot (3.5M AAV, 3 years)

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal25m

Jun 5, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
What happened in 2017 has nothing to do with my preference today. BTW you don't speak for everyone and how they felt in 2017. I personally thought Pateryn was a bum. I've seen a lot of both players. Chiarot is an ok 6 dman, but at 3.5 million I'd rather Jordie AINEC.

I personally like this signing. Maybe 500 k too
much, but not biggie. I remember cheering for the jets two years ago during their playoff run and he was solid!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I personally like this signing. Maybe 500 k too
much, but not biggie. I remember cheering for the jets two years ago during their playoff run and he was solid!

A lot of people drool over the puck movers but having guys like Chariot who play physical and can neutralize forwards along the boards and clear the front of the net does give fits to apposing team players. We still need a LD PMD in our top 4 but those are rare to acquire (especially if they have the size mix in the skill/skating combo).

Look at the Leafs with Barrie. His corsi is above 50% but he starts on the offensive end like 70% of the time. He's average at best in his own end and Babcock is going to take fits with trying to have a stable D that is tough to score against.

I have seen Chariot play here and there so I really don't know his game that well. His style of game is not flashy so most don't appreciate what he brings to the table but coaches do. If his skating is average and he can do the little things well while he helps Price not be exposed, I'm very happy with this 3 year term from 28-30. Cap hit is a bit high but it's not a major problem if he provides us a good #4 or #5 option.

Petry was a + player for the first time in many seasons playing with the physical Kulak in the last 30 games. I think Chariot provides the same type of game so if he has chemistry with Petry, I think we have a solid group in terms of ballance.

Mete / Weber: Can play any role for us. They compliment each other well and their stats playing together last season was very good.

Chariot / Petry: If Chariot can be the guy Petry can rely on and not have to fill in for weaknesses, I think this is a very solid 2nd pairing. Chariot can take some load playing PK as well.

Kulak / Juulsen: Keep your head up! Both these guys play physical and can move the puck. If they play to potential and what we have seen in the small sample sizes last season, we have an above average 3rd pairing.

Reilly, Folin: Great depth to have in case in injuries and they will keep Kulak and Juulsen playing at a high level if they don't want to get bumped for the line-up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Youppi ki yay

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
A lot of people drool over the puck movers but having guys like Chariot who play physical and can neutralize forwards along the boards and clear the front of the net does give fits to apposing team players. We still need a LD PMD in our top 4 but those are rare to acquire (especially if they have the size mix in the skill/skating combo).

Look at the Leafs with Barrie. His corsi is above 50% but he starts on the offensive end like 70% of the time. He's average at best in his own end and Babcock is going to take fits with trying to have a stable D that is tough to score against.

Kerfoot makes this a decent deal for Toronto imo.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Or add an extra $2MM/yr to the Aho offer and play Reilly on the 3rd pair

Can't believe we freed up cap space for this

Technically, we didn't free up Cap Space for this cause we had that Cap space to begin with.
We free up cap space for absolutely nothing so far, that's even worst.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Yeah, i look at the Leafs who needed help on D and in the spent of 4 month went out and got Muzzin, Barrie and Ceci.
Of course, nothing's perfect…...but i look at Bergevin who's been needing help for a 3 straight years and all he got to show for it is Reilly, Kulak and Chiarot.

I wouldn't take a shot at Toronto if i were you….at least their 12 years old GM has done more and better in 4 months than Bergevin did in the last 3 years.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah, i look at the Leafs who needed help on D and in the spent of 4 month went out and got Muzzin, Barrie and Ceci.
Of course, nothing's perfect…...but i look at Bergevin who's been needing help for a 3 straight years and all he got to show for it is Reilly, Kulak and Chiarot.

I wouldn't take a shot at Toronto if i were you….at least their 12 years old GM has done more and better in 4 months than Bergevin did in the last 3 years.

Leafs need guys like Weber, Petry, Chariot on the back end. Their team strength is PP and offensive fire power but when games get tight, they won't be that difficult to score against. They are not the Pittsburgh Penguins

I think Muzzin was a awesome trade for them. Ceci is hard to gauge. Might be a very good pick-up or a bad one. Kind of like Beaulieu when we let go of him. Potential is there but seems to have a hard time putting it all together. Barrie just replaces Gardiner but on the RD side. I actually think Gardiner is better in his own end and that is funny.

Lets not forget that they lost Kadri, Hainsey, Gardiner, Zaitsev and replaced them with Barrie, Spezza, Kerfoot, Ceci. How can you say that he has done better? More like lateral moves with the hope they make gains in some areas. I think they will miss what Hainsey brought to the table. Who's going to be the rock for Rielly to play with? Ceci or Barrie? lol Babcock has work to do to create a reliable D and those boys better be ready for the heat

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Technically, we didn't free up Cap Space for this cause we had that Cap space to begin with.
We free up cap space for absolutely nothing so far, that's even worst.

We had to move Shaw at some point anyways and the return was solid. I don't believe we should be desperate to use our cap space cause we really do need to evaluate our current NHL youth and the prospects coming a bit more.

I expect another season like last year where we fight for 2nd/3rd spot in the Atlantic and a wild card spot. Our eyes should be on how the youth grow though, not how we are going to use our cap space. The time to move all in is when we know how good our kids are and who disappoints

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Because the Leafs are in a position to give a 1st rounder for Muzzin, the Habs are not.

2 complete different context

Agreed. But don't bother. Some will bring up any reason they can find to criticize Bergevin. The passion is high in our fan base. Some are running out of patience and want a cup contender. It's reasonable but putting pressure on our GM to make desperate moves is not how we are going to get there

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Leafs need guys like Weber, Petry, Chariot on the back end. Their team strength is PP and offensive fire power but when games get tight, they won't be that difficult to score against. They are not the Pittsburgh Penguins

I think Muzzin was a awesome trade for them. Ceci is hard to gauge. Might be a very good pick-up or a bad one. Kind of like Beaulieu when we let go of him. Potential is there but seems to have a hard time putting it all together. Barrie just replaces Gardiner but on the RD side. I actually think Gardiner is better in his own end and that is funny.

Lets not forget that they lost Kadri, Hainsey, Gardiner, Zaitsev and replaced them with Barrie, Spezza, Kerfoot, Ceci. How can you say that he has done better? More like lateral moves with the hope they make gains in some areas. I think they will miss what Hainsey brought to the table. Who's going to be the rock for Rielly to play with? Ceci or Barrie? lol Babcock has work to do to create a reliable D and those boys better be ready for the heat

Leafs needed D and they got some.
Plain and simple.

And for god's sake, Barrie is a 60 points D and Muzzin a 40 points D.
All Bergevin got in 3 years (not 4 months, but 3 years) is a 15-20 points D.
Even Ceci is more productive than any D Bergevin got.

Oh they are not perfect, sure….but still 10 times better than what Bergevin got.

Just like the Blues that needed C and go out and got Schenn, O'Reilly and Bozak in 12 months.
But for Bergevin...these guys are not available, trades are hard and bla bla bla….and after 7 years working on it, he's C line it's still not as good as St-Louis who built it in a year.

Man, other teams need something, they go out and get it….but for Bergevin it always looks like Mission Impossible and takes multiple years to find a solution.

Le Berge

Feb 25, 2018
Can you provide additional information to support this claim? Fans on the WPG boards were saying Chevy didn't want to offer over 3M x 2 years.

The Habs will pay the 28-year-old $10.5 million over the course of the contract, an average of $3.5 million per season and more than double the $1.4 million he earned last season.

That was also more than half a million per season better than the cap-strapped Jets were willing to part with.

Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff even tacked on an extra year to his offer, to no avail, learning late Wednesday night he’d been spurned, yet again.

“The Jets made competitive offers and tried to do everything they could to keep him,” Craig Ostir, Chiarot’s agent, told the Winnipeg Sun.

If you add up the offers – Winnipeg’s totalled just under $12 million over four years – Chiarot left some cash on the table.

FRIESEN: Jets lose more grit as Chiarot bolts for Habs

Reactions: KotkaSpicy

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
We had to move Shaw at some point anyways and the return was solid. I don't believe we should be desperate to use our cap space cause we really do need to evaluate our current NHL youth and the prospects coming a bit more.

I expect another season like last year where we fight for 2nd/3rd spot in the Atlantic and a wild card spot. Our eyes should be on how the youth grow though, not how we are going to use our cap space. The time to move all in is when we know how good our kids are and who disappoints

We also need to move Danault at some point, what are we waiting for then?

As for the Shaw's return, it was good in value but it was total crap in terms of what this team needed.
In fact, it was the last thing this team needed.

Just like when we traded Eller….oh picks….4 years later and what did we got for Eller so far: NOTHING.
We gave up a good NHLer for nothing to help our team for 4 years now.

We just did the same thing with Shaw. So maybe in 4 years from now, we will have something….just maybe.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Because the Leafs are in a position to give a 1st rounder for Muzzin, the Habs are not.

Oh yeah….we are rebuilding, right?

So riddle me this then:

Why in their rebuild Toronto gave up a 1st for Andersen? They were in a different position, same as ours now.
Why the Rangers just gave up a 1st round pick for Trouba? They are commited to rebuild, they are far from our actual position.

That's just excuses.

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
Why in their rebuild Toronto gave up a 1st for Andersen? They were in a different position, same as ours now.
Why the Rangers just gave up a 1st round pick for Trouba? They are commited to rebuild, they are far from our actual position.

First thing that comes to mind when I read this is it's not because teams makes moves that they are the right moves lol

I mean you're asking my opinion on the Andersen and Trouba trades, I could but im not going too.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005

Exactly. Dubas has traded two first round picks in the last 5 months. Bergevin hasn't traded a first round pick in 7 years. Leafs are in win now mode and have the depth to make these moves, the Habs do not. We might have the depth in 1-2 years if our prospects develop like they should.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
First thing that comes to mind when I read this is it's not because teams makes moves that they are the right moves lol

I mean you're asking my opinion on the Andersen and Trouba trades, I could but im not going too.

I didn't asked you your opinion on their moves….just the fact that they are not in a position different than the Habs and still traded their 1st round pick.

And no, they might be bad moves………...but doing nothing is seriously a bad move regardless.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Exactly. Dubas has traded two first round picks in the last 5 months. Bergevin hasn't traded a first round pick in 7 years. Leafs are in win now mode and have the depth to make these moves, the Habs do not. We might have the depth in 1-2 years if our prospects develop like they should.

They were in that position, and still didn't trade their 1st....which brought us McCarron and Juulsen.

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
I didn't asked you your opinion on their moves….just the fact that they are not in a position different than the Habs and still traded their 1st round pick.

And no, they might be bad moves………...but doing nothing is seriously a bad move regardless.

Would you have been happy if Bergevin gave a 1st rounder for Muzzin?

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
They were in that position, and still didn't trade their 1st....which brought us McCarron and Juulsen.

Well they didn't know those firsts would end up being McCarron and Juulsen (who I still think can be a very decent player in the NHL if his health holds up). The question is, do you think they were one player away from winning at that point? A first line center would have helped enormously, but again, we didn't have the depth to trade for one. A first round pick wouldn't have gotten one. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Bergevin. In the end our drafting and development has been our downfall for the last decade.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Would you have been happy if Bergevin gave a 1st rounder for Muzzin?

Don't get stuck of the example. Go with basis.
Leafs needed D and got some D.
Habs needed D for 3 years and did nothing.

That's the whole point.

Other teams needs things and go out and get them and it didn't take years and years to fix it.
But with Bergevin...it doesn't years it almost take decade. Why's that?

We heard for years that center are not available but yet St-Louis got out and found 3 in one year.

I don't care if it took a 1st, 2nd or one of our prospect or whatever.
How comes other teams fixes their problems and here in Montreal it's always ten times more complicated and takes years and years before finding one.

Like the size problem….it was a problem on day #1 that Bergevin took the team.
7 years later we are still here discussing that the team need some size. 7 years and the problem is just as big as it was one day #1

We needed to have better center on day #1, it got better for sure, but it tool 7 years and yet….our center line is fringe at best right now, maybe with our prospect it will change but we will be at 9 years of work.

After 3 years of looking for Weber's partner, we still are not even close to have found one.

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
It would have taken a first round pick, and two B prospects, so likely Cale Fleury and somebody else.

If I had Matthews and Tavares as top 2 centers, I wouldn't mind giving this package for Muzzin, the 1st rounder is basically a 25th overall pick

But with Domi/Danault, there's no way I would give this package.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Well they didn't know those firsts would end up being McCarron and Juulsen (who I still think can be a very decent player in the NHL if his health holds up). The question is, do you think they were one player away from winning at that point? A first line center would have helped enormously, but again, we didn't have the depth to trade for one. A first round pick wouldn't have gotten one. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Bergevin. In the end our drafting and development has been our downfall for the last decade.

We were 1st in our division for 2-3 years with Norris and Vezina winner, went to the ECF…..i guess this was as close as it gets.
If that wasn't the right time, then i guess it will never be the right time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->