Confirmed with Link: Habs Sign Bobby Farnham

Carey Chant

Jul 13, 2007
Toronto
Why is that, exactly????

Habs are full of junk 4th liners...heck they can ice a team of 4th line grinders and MT would be a happy man.

As for why I'd take Ryan White, I like to follow prospects that get drafted and follow their development. White played very well for the Flyers, something he could have done for the Habs but MT just didn't like him. White is also bigger than Farmhands & Habs do need some more size on the forwards.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
Devils fans seem to say he has a bit of offense too. I think he can be a fine 13th forward.

The funny thing is, he is a really good skater and has a really good shot. If he just focused on plays and controls his energy he could probably be a consistent scorer. He skates too hard out there and tires himself out and gets distracted too much and gets out of position.

Drunk World Order

Jun 22, 2003
Toronto
I love the signing...it adds some teeth and nails to a very soft fourth line. Lets remember he had 8 goals as well in 53 games in a very limited role for the devils. The guy hits everything that moves and can skate like the wind. I know someone mentioned Prust as well...I would love to have him back too...a fourth line with Prust Mitchell Farnham would cause a lot of trouble.

PernellsWhiteAmi

Long Live Chappelle
Oct 24, 2009
Vermont/Montreal
I love the signing...it adds some teeth and nails to a very soft fourth line. Lets remember he had 8 goals as well in 53 games in a very limited role for the devils. The guy hits everything that moves and can skate like the wind. I know someone mentioned Prust as well...I would love to have him back too...a fourth line with Prust Mitchell Farnham would cause a lot of trouble.

I agree with Farnham; I think he can be a real nice signing on our 4th line.

But the last thing we need is to sign Prust. If he couldn't crack Vancouver's 4th line last year, there's no way he could make this team.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Habs are full of junk 4th liners...heck they can ice a team of 4th line grinders and MT would be a happy man.

As for why I'd take Ryan White, I like to follow prospects that get drafted and follow their development. White played very well for the Flyers, something he could have done for the Habs but MT just didn't like him. White is also bigger than Farmhands & Habs do need some more size on the forwards.

Funny thing is we actually don't have to many 4th line "grinders"

Max/Rads/Plek/AG/Galley/Shaw I don't call these guys grinders. Then you have DD/Carr/Ghetto/Flynn/Mitchell. I wouldn't really use the term grinder here either. and considiring the team has 3 players play on the 4th line we will need at least 3 4th liners.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Funny thing is we actually don't have to many 4th line "grinders"

Max/Rads/Plek/AG/Galley/Shaw I don't call these guys grinders. Then you have DD/Carr/Ghetto/Flynn/Mitchell. I wouldn't really use the term grinder here either. and considiring the team has 3 players play on the 4th line we will need at least 3 4th liners.

Well,

Shaw play a grinding style but he is definitely a lot more talentend then the usual player that has the etiquette of a grinder.

Flynn, Mitchell, Carr, Danault truly are grinders tho.

Some nice speedy and good grinders tho.

It just depends how you define the word grinders tho.

IMO, a grinder is a player whose best attributes are work ethic, forechecking, backchecking, physicality, etc. Those type of "secondary" skills.

Calling the habs a team full of 4th line junk is totally unrealistic tho. Like the poster you quoted.

Seriously, if one of Hudon, Lehkonen, Ghetto can steal a spot on the second line and be a 35-40 points player.

We would have a pretty solid top 6 definitely between top 10 and 15 in the league IMO, and our bottom lines would have player like Shaw, DD (I don't like the player and hate his usage but he is still a pretty good player to center an offensive third line.) Mitchell, Carr. That is very, very good depth. With players like Farnham, Byron, Mitchell and Flynn (Considering Danault is the 4C), We have crazy speed on the wings.

There is so much bias here toward grinding and da system and character and whatever ********. The habs are so ****ing far from being full of junk 4th liner

Last edited:

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
The more I think about it the more I'm quite happy with the Farnham signing. The Byron-Mitchell-Flynn 4th line broke down fairly quickly last year ( Granted, the whole team did) and I think it's fair to say we went into 2015-16 with too soft of a lineup for the kind of game our coach wants us to play. It's a LONG season and having some sandpaper can make a big difference morale/energy level wise. Call me old fashion if you want.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
The more I think about it the more I'm quite happy with the Farnham signing. The Byron-Mitchell-Flynn 4th line broke down fairly quickly last year ( Granted, the whole team did) and I think it's fair to say we went into 2015-16 with too soft of a lineup for the kind of game our coach wants us to play. It's a LONG season and having some sandpaper can make a big difference morale/energy level wise. Call me old fashion if you want.

100% agree.

It's not old fashion.

Despite the near abolishment of fighting.

It is still a game where 10 ****ing alpha male are on the ice. Intimidation is and will always be part of hockey.

Having guys who can brasser de la marde, give confidence to the teammate, who can be strong emotional leader will always be a strong necessity to a winning team.

Jacques Demers was far from being an intellectual. But Demers oozzzzzess faith, confidence and he was that, a ****ing strong emotional leader.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
100% agree.

It's not old fashion.

Despite the near abolishment of fighting.

It is still a game where 10 ****ing alpha male are on the ice. Intimidation is and will always be part of hockey.

Having guys who can brasser de la marde, give confidence to the teammate, who can be strong emotional leader will always be a strong necessity to a winning team.

Jacques Demers was far from being an intellectual. But Demers oozzzzzess faith, confidence and he was that, a ****ing strong emotional leader.

yeah i'd rather have Farnham than not. Weber, Shaw, Farnham and even Radulov are a nice infusion of grit. Sorely needed imo. Sergachev should help with that too.

I really think this team plays better with grit in the line up. I've seen us have it and not have it over the last few years and I really think we just play better as a team.

If we had a sure bet partner for Weber and a better 2nd C than Pleks than I'd be over the moon with our roster. Even as is I think it's one of the stronger ones we've had in a long time.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
yeah i'd rather have Farnham than not. Weber, Shaw, Farnham and even Radulov are a nice infusion of grit. Sorely needed imo. Sergachev should help with that too.

I really think this team plays better with grit in the line up. I've seen us have it and not have it over the last few years and I really think we just play better as a team.

If we had a sure bet partner for Weber and a better 2nd C than Pleks than I'd be over the moon with our roster. Even as is I think it's one of the stronger ones we've had in a long time.

100% agree.

In a salary cap world it will be tough to have a flawless line-up but as of right now.

We truly have a strong mix of size, speed, skill, grit, everywhere in the line-up also. I really really like our team this season.

I remember when carbonneau said that we would answer to intimidation with our PP. Made me wanna cry. What a ******.

Last edited:

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
It's an inconsequential signing that doesn't do much harm or good. The success of the Habs in 2016-17 will depend largely on the contributions of Radulov, Shaw, and Weber. However, they'll also need some of their prospects to prove themselves. Even that wouldn't make them the equal of Pittsburgh, Washington, Tampa Bay, or Florida but they might upset one of them in a playoff round if Price regains his form.

Tankster*

Jun 18, 2016
St Jean (US export)

A post so full of irony loll

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

True enough. We have too many 4th liners but most are undersized, not terribly gritty and definitely not fighters.

Farnham is smaller than white is but he's a quasi psychopath. Defiantly not in the mold of our current crop of bottom 6ers.

Last edited:

Sthabs

Apr 7, 2006
I like guys like Farnham they re spark plugs, they bring emotion, fire up the team when we re just going thru another game, we obviously play better when fired up, much rather have him than a Flynn or Matteau on the 4th

Carey Chant

Jul 13, 2007
Toronto
A post so full of irony loll

Why? Cause I like Ryan White? I can like a grinder or two no? (mod) Habs just have a lot of these 4th line players without offensive upside to hit the top 6.

I liked White because he would drop the gloves to help out a team mate (didn't win a ton though) & played with an edge. He actually had a decent season with the Flyers and even chipped in a big goal in the playoffs. Has nice hockey hair too & that's worth at least a few points alone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Well,

Shaw play a grinding style but he is definitely a lot more talentend then the usual player that has the etiquette of a grinder.

IMO, a grinder is a player whose best attributes are work ethic, forechecking, backchecking, physicality, etc. Those type of "secondary" skills.

Calling the habs a team full of 4th line junk is totally unrealistic tho. Like the poster you quoted.

Seriously, if one of Hudon, Lehkonen, Ghetto can steal a spot on the second line and be a 35-40 points player.

We would have a pretty solid top 6 definitely between top 10 and 15 in the league IMO, and our bottom lines would have player like Shaw, DD (I don't like the player and hate his usage but he is still a pretty good player to center an offensive third line.) Mitchell, Carr. That is very, very good depth. With players like Farnham, Byron, Mitchell and Flynn (Considering Danault is the 4C), We have crazy speed on the wings.

There is so much bias here toward grinding and da system and character and whatever ********. The habs are so ****ing far from being full of junk 4th liner

Mitchell, Flynn and Carr certainly are not grinders. Physicality is a must to be considered a grinder.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Well,

Good post. I eveb think Shaw can surprise and be a decent top6 option.

If Dano and Flynn and Mitchell and Byron can add 5 to 10 goals each which is not bad for a grinder lol

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Mitchell, Flynn and Carr certainly are not grinders. Physicality is a must to be considered a grinder.

That's how I've always interpreted it, although some people seem to put pretty much any player who doesn't play a skill based/top 6 game in the grinder category. I would never use that term to describe them in any case, it just feels wrong to me. There's no such thing as a soft grinder, it would be like being a conservative punk band or something.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Having a fourth line like Danault - Mitchell - Byron is actually a very good defensive line that can chip in some points. This line is able to play some tougher defensive matchups and can allow us to have a more offensive third line just like we had to start last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad