Speculation: Habs Sellout streak is fake

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Journalists have been snapping pics of all the empty seats at the BC, at different moments during games, so as to show that Molson's claim about BC attendance is patently false:

Lots of empties, even near the end of the first period. Definitely not a laggard situation:

but if the tickets are sold why would he care right? it's sad it got to this point but from a money perspective he has no reason to care right?

also more reason why he shouldnt be owner and president

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
This goes to show that the whole Montreal would tolerate a rebuild is nonsense.

Even while being in the thick of a playoff race (habs are either 2 or 3 points out of a playoff spot) the fans aren't showing up. A couple of losses and the bell has empty seats everywhere. If the habs continued their 1-6-1 start and were 5-25-2 right now there would be double the empty seats in the bell center.

Montreal fans won't support a losing hockey club. I am sure the fans will always hold a place in their heart for the team, but will go into hibernation until the losing is done.

Seems like if the team isn't in the top 2 in its division then the seats are empty and scalpers are discounting their goods.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Even while being in the thick of a playoff race (habs are either 2 or 3 points out of a playoff spot) the fans aren't showing up. A couple of losses and the bell has empty seats everywhere. If the habs continued their 1-6-1 start and were 5-25-2 right now there would be double the empty seats in the bell center.

Montreal fans won't support a losing hockey club. I am sure the fans will always hold a place in their heart for the team, but will go into hibernation until the losing is done.

Seems like if the team isn't in the top 2 in its division then the seats are empty and scalpers are discounting their goods.

There's a difference between a rebuilding club and a disappointing club.

The Leafs also faced empty seats in 2014-2015 when the wheels came off and they cleaned the front office:

Leafs seats increasingly going empty as team bottoms out

It was better the next season when they literally finished dead last.

Fans are pissed because they expected a play-off caliber team and were told they were getting one. Especially with the types of moves that were made and things that were said by management.

If they were told they were getting a retooling team and were being sold on upcoming prospects or young NHLers and a great future, it would be another story. I don't think Bergevin could sell that, but there's a difference between a losing hockey club and rebuilding/retooling hockey club.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Montreal would tolerate a rebuild if it was told to the fans.

Montreal won't tolerate jacking up ticket prices, then be forced to watch the most boring product in the NHL.

It won't tolerate watching a product when all fan favorites and skilled players are traded or let walk.

A good GM comes in and shows examples of the other teams and says the pain is necessary to build a contender, and the turn out will be good enough and even better when they've finally built an exciting, competitive team.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Montreal won't tolerate jacking up ticket prices, then be forced to watch the most boring product in the NHL.

That's what it really comes down to.

Charge me $40 to watch this team and if I lived in Montreal I'd go every week. That's pretty much the cost of a movie these days.

I don't even bother checking ticket prices for Canadian teams anymore. It's stupid high.

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o

It won't tolerate watching a product when all fan favorites and skilled players are traded or let walk.

A good GM comes in and shows examples of the other teams and says the pain is necessary to build a contender, and the turn out will be good enough and even better when they've finally built an exciting, competitive team.
Didn't the Leafs do that? They let the fans know that they were rebuilding and asked for patience. The fans are being taken for granted now because Molson jacks up the ticket prices every season and this is the result. It doesn't help that this team is boring as hell to watch and they stink. The only people I really feel sorry for are the people who own the bars and restaurants near the Bell center. They must be losing alot of money.

Last edited:
Reactions: WeThreeKings

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004

Didn't the Leafs do that? They let the fans know that they were rebuilding and asked for patients. The fans are being taken for granted now because Molson jacks up the ticket prices every season and this is the result. It doesn't help that this team is boring as hell to watch and they stink. The only people I really feel sorry for are the people who own the bars and restaurants near the Bell center. They must be losing alot of money.

Exactly. Tell me what you're doing, and while you're at it get me a few fast skating guys that work hard, and I'll be happy. I'd much rather see a bunch of rookies lose an exciting game 3-4 than watch this team win or lose 1-0 and 2-1 games... we're just as boring as the 90s Devils.

Reactions: Pickles

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Tolerate or whatever, if the team is losing even if the team said expect loseing, there would be less people at the games, cheaper seats etc...

The team is disappointing this year but are not far out of the playoffs and there are ton of empty seats.

Guess its really not would fans tolerate it. Fans would be fair weather, stop when the team is down and come back when they finally turn it around. If habs bottom out for 2 years and then 2 years after that are 1st in the division and 3 rounds deep in the playoffs of course fans will come back. LOL we saw it with 2012 and then in 13/14 the Bell was rocking.

Its the owners that won't tolerate it. Less fans, lower ticket prices (Yes Molson gauges the fans and over charges for tickets!)less merch sold, less dogs and beers sold, fewer season ticket demand etc... How long does Molson tolerate empty seats being shown on social media and fewer dollars brought in per game? Doubt he is very happy this season.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Exactly. Tell me what you're doing, and while you're at it get me a few fast skating guys that work hard, and I'll be happy. I'd much rather see a bunch of rookies lose an exciting game 3-4 than watch this team win or lose 1-0 and 2-1 games... we're just as boring as the 90s Devils.

What about the guy that doesn't post on a hockey forum? What about the corporate company whose clients aren't interest in going to a game because the team loses all the time even with these fast guys.

The seats are empty now! Proof is in the pudding fans won't go to games or be as invested in the team if they are losing. The hardcore fans will stay. If the new GM comes out and says we are going to suck for the next 4 years but continue to spend 300+ for a game outside of the hard-core how many will continue showing up? I bet you would see more empty seats than you saw at the game last night.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
What about the guy that doesn't post on a hockey forum? What about the corporate company whose clients aren't interest in going to a game because the team loses all the time even with these fast guys.

The seats are empty now! Proof is in the pudding fans won't go to games or be as invested in the team if they are losing. The hardcore fans will stay. If the new GM comes out and says we are going to suck for the next 4 years but continue to spend 300+ for a game outside of the hard-core how many will continue showing up? I bet you would see more empty seats than you saw at the game last night.

And if the team doesn't rebuild, then what? They'll keep losing, barely missing the play-offs, then even the idiots who don't know Hockey won't be coming anymore.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
And if the team doesn't rebuild, then what? They'll keep losing, barely missing the play-offs, then even the idiots who don't know Hockey won't be coming anymore.

il_fullxfull.1222289927_6cjc.jpg

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
If the Habs were losing but the on ice product was still somewhat entertaining fans would still likely show up. Problem is the team isn't very good right now and the on ice product is so mind-numbingly dull that I don't blame fans for not spending the ridiculous high prices to go watch.

Reactions: lostriver

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
The games are so boring I haven’t gotten through a full game since I last went to the Bell Centre last year.

The team is not only bad, it’s boring. Who would pay 400$ a pair to see terrible entertainment? Molson will realize soon enough that you can’t just sell out because you are the Habs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->