News Article: Habs sellout streak comes to an end after 583 games

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Here is his obituary

Jerry Claiborne, 72, Dies; Coach of All-Star Scholars

My wife has many interesting photos, one with here sister and Herschel Walker, one with Bear Bryant. I also believe that an NHL coach babysat her when he was a college player, can't remember his name.
Thanks for the info. At first I thought she was Bobby Bowden's daughter. Bear Bryant, now there's a legend. Wishbone formation for the Crimson Tide. I loved that era.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
IMO this is due to which generation was in the right age range (18-25 years old).Those born between 1980 and 1987 or so.This is probably the last generation to remember the vibe of a winning Montreal Canadiens team, as well as growing up watching the entertaining NHL of the 90s, plus collecting hockey cards and the likes.Hockey just seems less important to the new generation.

Millennial here. You are totally right.

It is tough to follow a team when it just plain sucks most of the time and can never get it done.

Also, as some others have mentioned, Montreal hasn't had anybody "exciting" to follow since Kovalev? And even then, I was still pretty young at the time so I don't remember much. Other than that Montreal has remained a sub-par team with no superstars and is never able to land a top 2 pick in any given draft. So yeah, there's exciting plenty with the great goaltending and some quality players, but nothing a-la-Matthews exciting.

So interest levels take huge ups and downs based on performance. I for one will likely not attend a game this year because...why the f* spend money on that?

So it's tough for the Habs fan base for future season ticket holders when those are drying out due to underwhelming performances year over year.

I'm not asking for a cup, just a god damn Stanley cup final or a player that puts up 100 points for god sakes. Defensive coaching is the most boring type of hockey, and that's all we've gotten for 15 freaking years. Therrien, then Julien, then Gainey, then we had the whole Cunneyworth/Carboneau/etc. just to go back to Therrien, and then Julien again.

Reactions: WhiskeySeven*

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
go back and watch the tapes of the Martin Gauthier get fired season...No one could convince me every ticket was sold..and even last year lol all those empty seats...no way all those tickets was sold no way at all...

Keep in mind the vast majority of tickets are sold at the begining of the season. So it's not surprising that the tickets were sold.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The on ice product has been boring beyond words for a few years now. Not surprised folks have decided to use their hard earned money for better options

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I think what kills fan interest almost as much as a bad team is not giving a damn about the individual players. Hockey, like any entertainment, is all about the story, and stories come down to characters. A decade ago the team went through some awful seasons but still had great lead characters like Kovalev and Koivu for us to rally around. Last year there were no characters I gave a damn about. Gallagher and Byron came closest, and I had a soft spot for Deslaurier's enthusiasm. Otherwise, the players were as dull and disinterested as the team was disastrous.

Surprisingly, this new roster is likeable right out of the gate. Domi's awesome, Tatar is great to watch, Kotkaniemi makes me feel like a dad watching his kid develop, and I'm digging the rest of the new guys wearing unrecognizable jersey numbers. I still want to get a better draft pick at the end; meanwhile I'm actually having fun cheering on this new group of Habs, whoever they are.
Quite generous. But watching other teams that have soooo much more than the likes of "Domi, Tatar and KK" Yes the current Canadiens roster looks good held up against the old Canadiens roster. But held up against the majority of teams in the league? The Canadiens are a lousy ticket.

Bar has never been lower.

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
I'll take it personnal. Monday was my first time to the Bell Centre for a hockey game since 2002. I actually felt that the place wasn't full.

At least I saw 10 goals. I guess.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Millennial here. You are totally right.

It is tough to follow a team when it just plain sucks most of the time and can never get it done.

Also, as some others have mentioned, Montreal hasn't had anybody "exciting" to follow since Kovalev? And even then, I was still pretty young at the time so I don't remember much. Other than that Montreal has remained a sub-par team with no superstars and is never able to land a top 2 pick in any given draft. So yeah, there's exciting plenty with the great goaltending and some quality players, but nothing a-la-Matthews exciting.

So interest levels take huge ups and downs based on performance. I for one will likely not attend a game this year because...why the f* spend money on that?

So it's tough for the Habs fan base for future season ticket holders when those are drying out due to underwhelming performances year over year.

I'm not asking for a cup, just a god damn Stanley cup final or a player that puts up 100 points for god sakes. Defensive coaching is the most boring type of hockey, and that's all we've gotten for 15 freaking years. Therrien, then Julien, then Gainey, then we had the whole Cunneyworth/Carboneau/etc. just to go back to Therrien, and then Julien again.
I hear ya kid.

In Carbs defense. He coached them in 08. Second over all in standings. First in goals scored I think. (If one team scored more it was the wings Wings). But the rest of those coaches just tried to stop the other team from scoring. They protect 0-0 ties from the opening face off. :nod:

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Was on the Bruins board....gag.....and just saw on poster call us bandwagoners because we lost our incredible sellout streak. lmao....this coming from a B's fan, whose team has had numerous times seen attendance drop when their team sucked or even when they didnt. Ours at least has a purpose.

Hell that goes for all their teams. There were no Patriots fans before Tom Brady and there wont be any after.

f*** Boston lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->