Prospect Info: Habs Rookie Camp (September 15-21) Roster & Games in OP

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Sam Vigneault played in CEGEP and went on to play 3 solid NCAA seasons with Clarkson and has been playing in the AHL until recently. There are other exemples as well. One day someone will make the NHL from that league.

Someone mentioned Juneau and others will. Tanev played in CIS and made it along with others.

Players play in the CCHL and make it.

However, if you're in the CCHL at 18, or CIS at 20, you're likely not headed towards the NHL.

Some 16 year olds, like Mason McTavish play in the CCHL, then go to the OHL full time. If Mason makes it, I'm not sure I would constitute that as being an alumni of CCHL, but thats what gives it a step on CEGEP.

CCHL is behind
Ohl
Whl
Q
USHL
Some.high schools in the states
BCHL
Obvious various Europe leagues, but North American kids rarely go that route.
AJHL
And I might even be forgetting 1, or 2 leagues.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
So Stephane Leroux made mistakes on who will attend Habs' camp.

He had Bennett MacArthur going to Habs camp, when he's going to Arizona's.

And he had Miguel Tourigny going to Habs camp, when he's going to Anaheim's.

Wouldn't surprise me of Bouchard had a hand in his invitation to their camp.

He indeed did.

Un appel inespéré pour Miguel Tourigny
Dans les heures qui ont suivi le repêchage, une information a circulé à l’effet que Tourigny avait accepté l’offre du Canadien. Il n’en était rien. C’est aux Ducks d’Anaheim, dont le club-école est désormais dirigé par Joël Bouchard, que le représentant de l’Armada de Blainville-Boisbriand a confirmé sa présence.
« [Joël] m’a appelé, il m’a envoyé une couple de textos. Oui, ça a peut-être fait pencher un peu la balance vers les Ducks
, mais au final c’était ma décision. J’ai regardé mes options à Anaheim et j’ai jugé que c’est là qu’il pourrait y avoir une ouverture. Je veux signer [un contrat], je veux rester dans cette organisation et juste continuer de grandir là-dedans, prouver au monde que j’ai ma place au prochain niveau.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I remember him being something of an up and comer when he was 16/17, maybe there's still some potential there. He's got the perfect modern goalie frame and he seems pretty athletic, there's something to work with there.

He never really got rid of the hitch in his lateral movements, which will hurt him as he goes up levels.. but don't forget we did sign the old Mooseheads goalie coach, so that could have been part of the invite as well.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Joe Lamb

Mar 12, 2004
downeast
He never really got rid of the hitch in his lateral movements, which will hurt him as he goes up levels.. but don't forget we did sign the old Mooseheads goalie coach, so that could have been part of the invite as well.

I agree, stopped progressing. Very inconsistent game to game. Halifax put him on the trade block last year as an overager, no takers. Just there to fill out the camp rosters, maybe a backup at Trois Riviere.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Interesting that they said he's invited to the Development Camp. I thought they weren't going to have one and just go with a rookie camp. Unless Halifax just made a mistake on what camp he will attend.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The Habs super secret development and rookie camp that has been announced for weeks but no official word of when, where, or who.

Curious if Harris, Struble, Tuch, Farrell or if any other prospect in the NCAA will take part in the development camp as they often do.

But because it's possible the dev camp will take part close to school year, they may not take part in it this year.

Reactions: ABR8185

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Curious if Harris, Struble, Tuch, Farrell or if any other prospect in the NCAA will take part in the development camp as they often do.

But because it's possible the dev camp will take part close to school year, they may not take part in it this year.

if we knew the date that would help, but I doubt it as most NCAA schools will be starting in 2 weeks so unless camp starts before then, maybe Farrell as the Ivy leagues start later as that's how some of our draft picks from Dartmouth were able to attend.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

ABR8185

Jul 5, 2016

I was wondering what the Covid side of the American guys coming here would entail. 7 day quarantine still? If so, I’d imagine they skip it.

habsprospects

Nov 24, 2003
Sherbrooke, QC
habsprospects.com
The kind of guy that is very interesting to evaluate. Sadly, we can't sign him anyway because he played in Europe (would have been nice for them to forego this rule for OHL-based guys this year).

Still, we'll get an in-depth evaluation of him that no other team will get before the 2022 draft.
I believe he was considered as being on loan from Hamilton, so he can be signed.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I believe he was considered as being on loan from Hamilton, so he can be signed.

That's going to be interesting to see since AFAIK the rule was as far as they played 1 game in Europe they were ineligible.

I don't think that's a situation that's been seen before. NA CHL signed guys playing in Europe.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
That's going to be interesting to see since AFAIK the rule was as far as they played 1 game in Europe they were ineligible.

I don't think that's a situation that's been seen before. NA CHL signed guys playing in Europe.

Isn't it if they played 1 game in Europe the same season?

The games he played in Europe were last season.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Isn't it if they played 1 game in Europe the same season?

The games he played in Europe were last season.

Tomas Hyka was ineligible to be signed in summer 2011 by the Flyers because he played in Europe in 2010-2011. He played 2011-2012 in the CHL (and got drafted by LA in 2012).

Vladimir Tkachyov was ineligible to be signed 2014 by Edmonton because he played the first part of the 2013-2014 season in Russia (he played the 2nd half of the season in the QMJHL). He went undrafted and unsigned until 2021 where he signed with LAK.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Tomas Hyka was ineligible to be signed in summer 2011 by the Flyers because he played in Europe in 2010-2011. He played 2011-2012 in the CHL (and got drafted by LA in 2012).

Vladimir Tkachyov was ineligible to be signed 2014 by Edmonton because he played the first part of the 2013-2014 season in Russia (he played the 2nd half of the season in the QMJHL). He went undrafted and unsigned until 2021 where he signed with LAK.

Moral of the story... LA will draft you/sign you after you are ineligible to be signed by teams you were invited by the previous year.

So the conclusion here is that Hayes will be a member of the Kings next year.

Reactions: donghabs98

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
twitter rumors saying we invited Tag Bertuzzi to the rookie camp

Just saw it.

If it's true, that is a good invite.

Center
20 years old
6'1" and 198 lbs

Last year he played in Slovakia for HK Levice as a loan from the Bulldogs. He put up 23 pts (7G, 16A) in 22 GP.

The year before in Hamilton, he put up 47 pts (25G, 22A) in 57 GP.

He also played with Cam Hillis in Guelph before Bertuzzi was traded to Hamilton.

And in Hamilton he played with Jan Mysak. He also played with Avery Hayes, who is another player that has been apparently invited to Habs' development camp.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Just saw it.

If it's true, that is a good invite.

Center
20 years old
6'1" and 198 lbs

Last year he played in Slovakia for HK Levice as a loan from the Bulldogs. He put up 23 pts (7G, 16A) in 22 GP.

The year before in Hamilton, he put up 47 pts (25G, 22A) in 57 GP.

He also played with Cam Hillis in Guelph before Bertuzzi was traded to Hamilton.

And in Hamilton he played with Jan Mysak. He also played with Avery Hayes, who is another player that has been apparently invited to Habs' development camp.

He's an interesting invite, if true . He was a big prospect coming into the OHL but he was hit by the injury bug and he never quite panned out. He's got a decent toolbox though. His skating used to be pretty bad but he's managed to get it to a more passable level recently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad