Prospect Info: Habs Rookie Camp (September 15-21) Roster & Games in OP

themilosh

Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
The problem with this, is that as you say the US system below the USHL is also getting stronger and stronger, and they are less dependent on Canadian kids for the NCAA than a few years ago. My son played in the same league with Harris, on his team there were only 2 Canadians one year, and 3 the next.

The two school leagues in Quebec starting next year are merging which is a good thing, the problem is that after grade 11, there is no alternative for these kids except either going to a US prep school if they can get in, or going back to teams under the auspices of hockey Quebec or the QMJHL. There is no possibility to continue, as the CEGEP league has too few teams and is pretty bad. What is needed is the equivalent of the USHL without Hockey Quebec to ruin it with their politics and then to have the CIS teams become like NCAA teams, and have the same rules apply to players selected from them. Their focus needs to be changed from being the home of players who couldn't make it as pros, to being the next level after the USHL level teams. Not easy to change that so the CHL route will be the one selected by the majority of these players.
Wow.. i played CEGEP hockey way back in 91. At that time it was pretty good competiton, with well over 16 Colleges in the league from mtl to Quebec city.
Didnt realize how far down its fallen since then.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Camp always had a bunch of LHJMQ player. With the COVID context it's normal they want to invite more players from their backyards. Absolute non-issue.
Also, they simply need a lot of bodies for drills/scrimmages. I remember everyone freaking out when we signed Joel Ward to a PTO lol. I don't put much stock into invites.

Reactions: dralaf

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
According to the Armada twitter, Tourigny is going to the Anaheim camp, not Montreal. Unless the dates allow him to attend both, he is not at Montreal's. Guess that is the Bouchard-Blainville connection at work already.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Also, they simply need a lot of bodies for drills/scrimmages. I remember everyone freaking out when we signed Joel Ward to a PTO lol. I don't put much stock into invites.

We also need to remember that we will not know until the prospect/rookie camp which of the 3R and Laval players on two-way deals will also be attending that camp and boosting the number of players there. can see quite a few of the younger ones getting the call especially if the NCAA and some Euros will not be able to attend.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
We also need to remember that we will not know until the prospect/rookie camp which of the 3R and Laval players on two-way deals will also be attending that camp and boosting the number of players there. can see quite a few of the younger ones getting the call especially if the NCAA and some Euros will not be able to attend.

i wouldn't expect any NCAAers to be there, maybe Farrell since some of the ivy league schools start later then the rest but i'd have to look it up. I know Dartmouth starts late enough that if we was going there it might be late enough (though I'm not sure of the date since it's not been released yet). As for Euros the only one I expect to see is Norlinder, though I would rather he stay in Sweden unless they think hes going to stay, as I don't think it's a good idea to bring in a kid that is expected to be if not on the top pairing for Frolunda, then he should be back in the top 3 in terms of TOI as he was before his 2 injuries. With their season starting mid Sept, meaning he would certainly miss preseason and perhaps the start of the season depending on what the date of the rookie camp ends up being. That said I can't wait to see him if he's at camp, he's so much funto watch.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
So Stephane Leroux made mistakes on who will attend Habs' camp.

He had Bennett MacArthur going to Habs camp, when he's going to Arizona's.

And he had Miguel Tourigny going to Habs camp, when he's going to Anaheim's.

Wouldn't surprise me of Bouchard had a hand in his invitation to their camp.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Some good undrafted talent out of the Q over the yeas: St. Louis, Marchessault, Gourde, Steve Duchesne.

The smaller good players seem to get over looked the most.

TB seems to be the team scouting the Q the best. We should try to grab their Q scouts. I feel like ABB could surprise people this year i like the kid.

Reactions: shanewalsh

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
TB seems to be the team scouting the Q the best. We should try to grab their Q scouts. I feel like ABB could surprise people this year i like the kid.

TBL's Q scout was with the Habs for the 2007 to 2010 draft. His results were Olivier Fortier, Gabriel Dumont and Morgan Ellis.

EDIT:
His result with TB are:
2011: Palat
2012: Paquette
2013: Drouin, Erne
2014: Darcy
2015: Yan, Joseph, Imama
2016: Somppi
2017: None
2018: Fortier, Salda
UDFA: Barré-Boulet
2019: Cajkovic
UDFA: Huntington
2020: None

He had success early, since then, not so much.

Last edited:

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
TBL's Q scout was with the Habs for the 2007 to 2010 draft. His results were Olivier Fortier, Gabriel Dumont and Morgan Ellis.

EDIT:
His result with TB are:
2011: Palat
2012: Paquette
2013: Drouin, Erne
2014: Darcy
2015: Yan, Joseph, Imama
2016: Somppi
2017: None
2018: Fortier, Salda
UDFA: Barré-Boulet
2019: Cajkovic
UDFA: Huntington
2020: None

He had success early, since then, not so much.

Fortier was an OK pick for awhile. Dumont and Ellis were actually very good picks. Ellis didn't quite work out but was a legit prospect for awhile.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Fortier was an OK pick for awhile. Dumont and Ellis were actually very good picks. Ellis didn't quite work out but was a legit prospect for awhile.

Fortier struggled in the AHL and retired 6 years post-draft. Ellis was a good AHLer who's now in the DEL at 29 years old. Dumont is also an AHLer except he played in the NHL for some bad TB and Ottawa teams.

We did better without him in the same time frame with Beaulieu, Archambault, Hudon, Fucale, Andrighetto, Reway, Grégoire and Audette.

Right now, we also have RHP, Teasdale, Kidney, Trudeau, Roy, Simoneau who are unknowns at this point.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
How many token French players is this team going to sign, Jesus. No scouts in the OHL or WHL?
Leroux works for RDS and his job is all about the junior league of Québec. What is your problem with the fact he named 4-54 Québec player invited ? Do you think that they're only 4-5 players being invited at the camp ? i don't know how much they are but i suppose it's around 40-60 players.

Reactions: Dutronc and 1909

JC Superstar

Aug 7, 2013

Played hockey with him. He had good hands and now has good eyes.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Wow.. i played CEGEP hockey way back in 91. At that time it was pretty good competiton, with well over 16 Colleges in the league from mtl to Quebec city.
Didnt realize how far down its fallen since then.

Going off topic here but there's no way the CEGEP league was better in 91 than now. The league has come a long way and I can tell you the coaches, managers, league structure, etc is very well done and it is a great place for players to play. The skill level is of course subpar to the QMJHL since the Q gets all the players and it is roughly the same age group. But every year you have a few CEGEP players being recalled to the Q during the season and the rest of the roster is decent. Every year there are guys getting scholarships in NCAA and/or going to play in Europe.

With 13 teams they actually have more teams on Quebec territory than the QMJHL (which has 12 teams in QC and 6 teams in Maritmes)

I wish more players would choose the CEGEP route, it's a great league. The only thing needed is to strengthen the talent pool which I think will happen eventually. I'm tired of seeing promising Midget AAA kids going to play Junior A in British Columbia or Ontario or USA when they could play in CEGEP here before jumping to NCAA.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Going off topic here but there's no way the CEGEP league was better in 91 than now. The league has come a long way and I can tell you the coaches, managers, league structure, etc is very well done and it is a great place for players to play. The skill level is of course subpar to the QMJHL since the Q gets all the players and it is roughly the same age group. But every year you have a few CEGEP players being recalled to the Q during the season and the rest of the roster is decent. Every year there are guys getting scholarships in NCAA and/or going to play in Europe.

With 13 teams they actually have more teams on Quebec territory than the QMJHL (which has 12 teams in QC and 6 teams in Maritmes)

I wish more players would choose the CEGEP route, it's a great league. The only thing needed is to strengthen the talent pool which I think will happen eventually. I'm tired of seeing promising Midget AAA kids going to play Junior A in British Columbia or Ontario or USA when they could play in CEGEP here before jumping to NCAA.

Junior A in BCHL is a high skill league. It's just below the CHL.

CEGEP and CIS are low level leagues and likely always will be. Players only play in the CIS to play hockey while they get their degree to take a different path in life than hockey. Some have gone on to play in the NHL, but very few.

Has anyone from the past 20 years played CEGEP and made it to the NHL ?

I'm thinking CEGEP is below the CCHL and maybe even CCHL2.

themilosh

Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON

Oh I was just responding to another poster who said the CEGEP league was going downhill. I loved playing CEGEP. As a 17yo in 91 the ages in CEGEP were typically 18-21 but there are up to 24yos too (police tech guys), so the league was full of "mature" men.
I always thought the next gradual level should be University Canadian, or preferably NCAA. We played several exhibitions in Lake Placid against US community colleges (but not Universities), and flew to Europe to play all over, with some exhibitions against the BHL professional teams in England.

Note* one of the downfalls to CEGEP is every year played COUNTS towards NCAA years of service, so several coaches were Leary of offering scholarships.

Reactions: Number 57

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
they haven't announced it yet but I saw that several teams have announced their's so I would expect to hear this week

Curious if they will have a Rookie Showcase this year.

Detroit, Columbus, Dallas, St. Louis, and Toronto will have the Traverse City Tournament. I also believe there is one with Sabres, Bruins, and Devils (Pens were also scheduled to participate, but I think they've pulled out of it).

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Curious if they will have a Rookie Showcase this year.

Detroit, Columbus, Dallas, St. Louis, and Toronto will have the Traverse City Tournament. I also believe there is one with Sabres, Bruins, and Devils (Pens were also scheduled to participate, but I think they've pulled out of it).
Might be complicated with the border and whatnot. It would be fun if they could.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006

CEGEP and CIS are low level leagues and likely always will be. Players only play in the CIS to play hockey while they get their degree to take a different path in life than hockey. Some have gone on to play in the NHL, but very few.

The CIS has put all star teams together that have beaten Team Canada's WJC team in exhibition games leading up to the WJC tournament. Also UNB Reds have beaten AHL teams in exhibition games and are on par with top NCAA teams when they play them in exhibition games.

Not many players from the CIS are making it to the NHL but most CIS teams would destroy CHL teams. In fact the top CIS teams are littered with former CHL captains. It's far from a low level league.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Might be complicated with the border and whatnot. It would be fun if they could.

They don't need to cross the border. All of the Rookie Showcases Laval has participated in were Canadian teams only. They had Laval, Belleville, and Toronto one year. And the last two had Laval, Belleville, and Manitoba.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal

Sam Vigneault played in CEGEP and went on to play 3 solid NCAA seasons with Clarkson and has been playing in the AHL until recently. There are other exemples as well. One day someone will make the NHL from that league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->