TSN: Habs Reluctant to trade Shaw

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
imho, i don't think gallagher is jealous of pk. i think he's just annoyed by him.

He is frustrated that he busts his ass every night for a team and GM who don't give 2 shits at all. Meanwhile PK isn't even here anymore and yet 95% of fans like him better than anyone on the Montreal roster.

I mean they chanted his name in the Habs' own arena.

He's going to go on to contend for another Norris and possibly win a cup and Gallagher's career will either die in Montreal having accomplished nothing, or he'll get traded to Colorado or some dumb shit like that.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Shaw should return a 2nd +.
What that plus is will depend on need of other team, though I doubt it’ll be another 2nd.
MB will not get back what he paid.

McGuires Corndog

Marc Bergevin juju exorcist
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Minimum I want to see:

Pacioretty = 1st + blue chip prospect
Plekanec = 2nd/3rd round pick
Shaw = 2nd round pick
Byron = 2nd/3rd round pick
DLO = 4th/5th round pick

I also wouldn’t be against any of these scenarios:

Weber = 1st + blue chip prospect
Gallagher = 1st or blue chip prospect
Price = 1st + blue chip goalie prospect

^I don’t expect any of these to happen, but frankly it would be an excellent start to a much needed rebuild. But these don’t need to be TRade DL moves, they could happen at the draft. A lot will be determined at the draft lottery.

Sand94

Oct 5, 2017
Minimum I want to see:

Pacioretty = 1st + blue chip prospect
Plekanec = 2nd/3rd round pick
Shaw = 2nd round pick
Byron = 2nd/3rd round pick
DLO = 4th/5th round pick

I also wouldn’t be against any of these scenarios:

Weber = 1st + blue chip prospect
Gallagher = 1st or blue chip prospect
Price = 1st + blue chip goalie prospect

^I don’t expect any of these to happen, but frankly it would be an excellent start to a much needed rebuild. But these don’t need to be TRade DL moves, they could happen at the draft. A lot will be determined at the draft lottery.
Why exactly would you trade a guy like Gallagher? Seems incredibly stupid. He’s young, he’s constantly improving, he gives it 150% every night...he’s exactly the type of player you want.... yet you’re willing to trade him for a 1st.

Thank god some of you are not GMs or this team would be filled with AHLers and finish dead last every year.

McGuires Corndog

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Why exactly would you trade a guy like Gallagher? Seems incredibly stupid. He’s young, he’s constantly improving, he gives it 150% every night...he’s exactly the type of player you want.... yet you’re willing to trade him for a 1st.

Thank god some of you are not GMs or this team would be filled with AHLers and finish dead last every year.

Because by the time this team is relevant again, he’ll have nothing left to give. He can be a playoff warrior for a team looking for depth on their 2nd/3rd line for a deep playoff run.

He’s a prime example of a player you sell high. His value will never be higher than it is today.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

His contract is up in 3 years. It's going to be a lot longer than that before this team is a playoff team again.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Because by the time this team is relevant again, he’ll have nothing left to give. He can be a playoff warrior for a team looking for depth on their 2nd/3rd line for a deep playoff run.

He’s a prime example of a player you sell high. His value will never be higher than it is today.
The guy is 24, lets tone it down a bit.

McGuires Corndog

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
The guy is 24, lets tone it down a bit.

He’s 25, going on 26.

He’s on a cheap contract and will need a new one (3 more years) by the time we’re ready to do anything. Keep in mind he’ll be 30 when he starts his new contract and he’ll have 10yrs of hard hockey on a small frame, typically that doesn’t mix well.

A smart GM would be willing to move Gallagher for the right price

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
He’s 25, going on 26.

He’s on a cheap contract and will need a new one (3 more years) by the time we’re ready to do anything. Keep in mind he’ll be 30 when he starts his new contract and he’ll have 10yrs of hard hockey on a small frame, typically that doesn’t mix well.

A smart GM would be willing to move Gallagher for the right price

Gallagher is very strong for his size. It's not so much his frame but the fact he's been getting whacked in the head since junior. It's going to be catching up to Gallagher and Shaw sooner rather than later.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

McGuires Corndog

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Gallagher is very strong for his size. It's not so much his frame but the fact he's been getting whacked in the head since junior. It's going to be catching up to Gallagher and Shaw sooner rather than later.

Exactly.

He’s the type of the player that slows down rapidly past 30 and by 33-35 is no longer in the league.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I'm not a fan of Shaw (I wouldn't have trade for him or give him that contract) but is a good player and he does a lot of thinks very well and he would play a import role on any team he plays on, Montreal is just not a good team, bunch of complementary player that don't work. There just a lack of size and skills and player that can impact the game + weak D and C, even the goalies have been on avg. this year... I like to see Shaw traded to rebuild but in order to rebuild MB need to get maximum return and since Shaw value won't be much lower next year, team will always be looking to add great dept player for the playoff, he has experience, can win faceoff, play hard and he a proven playoff performer so I think if we don't get the deal we what we can wait till next year but next year we have to cut are lost.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
If Winnipeg give you a 4th liner and a 5th round pick for him you would do it?

That might be the type of deal hes reluctant about.

shaw hasn’t been the worst hab this year...
His contract sucks. Nevermind the assets we traded to get this muppet. Get rid of him NOW.

Reactions: Price is Wright

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
so if another GM offered MB an excellent #1C and that GM said Shaw had to be part of the trade...i guess MB would decline the trade :eek:

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
His contract sucks. Nevermind the assets we traded to get this muppet. Get rid of him NOW.

Exactly. Nearly $4M for the next few years for a 35 point penalty magnet with a false reputation as a playoff warrior is just stupid, unless the team plans to be bad for the next four years and wants to play him as a first line RW to tank the team.

McGuires Corndog

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Exactly. Nearly $4M for the next few years for a 35 point penalty magnet with a false reputation as a playoff warrior is just stupid, unless the team plans to be bad for the next four years and wants to play him as a first line RW to tank the team.

Shaw is the kind of guy you want on your team, but not at 4M.

He’s the type of guy you have at 2M-2.5M that becomes an asset during the playoffs because he can give you that 4M production.. but he doesn’t give you 4M production during the season and impedes your ability to actually get to the playoffs.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Shaw is the kind of guy you want on your team, but not at 4M.

He’s the type of guy you have at 2M-2.5M that becomes an asset during the playoffs because he can give you that 4M production.. but he doesn’t give you 4M production during the season and impedes your ability to actually get to the playoffs.

Agreed. He's the kind of guy you sign early and cheap so you don't have to overpay him later. New York had this situation with Sean Avery. He left to Dallas overpaid, they hated him and his salary cap hit, and traded him back to New York where the Rangers paid the price they originally wanted for him since Dallas held some of his cap hit.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Tinordi was a loser
Maybe, but that loser had value before they imploded his value for 3 years. Could have been part of a trade. And its not to say the habs didn't encourage him, or make him feel he needed to do so. Look at what Syl did to McCarron.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
so if another GM offered MB an excellent #1C and that GM said Shaw had to be part of the trade...i guess MB would decline the trade :eek:

There's no need to invent this big return to make a point of how you're not happy with this whole "reluctant" business. For all we know, GM's are offering a 3rd round pick. Some read reluctant and think untouchable. Reluctant to me means he'd rather keep him than trade him, not that he is going to turn down any offer made.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
We already know you'll be satisfied with Morrow for a 7th and Plekanec for a 3rd.

"See, We didn't hold on to EVERYONE!!!!!????
Then you don't know much.....but really, it went to hold on to everyone to now trading two players......so I was right.

Just because I don't want Bergevin fired doesn't mean I'm happy with piss poor trades. You're pairing up the two and it's wrong.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
imho, i don't think gallagher is jealous of pk. i think he's just annoyed by him.
Along with most of the league.......doesn't take away that he's a great player, he's just loud and that can get on people's nerves

Jul 6, 2016
We don't know if Shaw gonna be traded or not.

We can just speculate....as usual... Or speak thru our behinds... as usual too

The only reason MB would keep Shaw is to give him the third line center assignment on a permanent basis after trading Plekky away. Shaw is one of the best faceoffs men on that team (not hard...)...

But if he can package him and get 2nd round pick + young d-man.... That's fine too.

Jul 6, 2016
Along with most of the league.......doesn't take away that he's a great player, he's just loud and that can get on people's nerves

PK LOVES the limelight. Not the usual, traditional hockey player personnality. Roenick was creating the same effect on his team mates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->