TSN: Habs Reluctant to trade Shaw

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
That's fine. A Pacioretty trade would involve a centre that can come play next season, add Scherbak and Juulsen, plus possibly who we draft this year and Lindgren, that's an injection of 5 players.

The next year would be Fleury and Poehling plus maybe a surprise player and if we tank again, another top 5 pick.

Lots of young guys.......
The center we might get if we trade Paccioretty would be young, around 18 and would have to make the nhl step with the big team. Or wait 2 years or 3 when that project center will be nhl ready. Are you willing to give the #1 or #2 center spot next year to a 18y or 19y player?

Reactions: Habs13

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
The center we might get if we trade Paccioretty would be young, around 18 and would have to make the nhl step with the big team. Or wait 2 years or 3 when that project center will be nhl ready. Are you willing to give the #1 or #2 center spot next year to a 18y or 19y player?
Sure.....or we can go next year with Byron centering Pacioretty, it's worked wonders for us

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

No but imagine what a different GM with a different perspective would do?

Stastny and Tavares are the only 2 centres left for UFAs. I think the Rangers are moving players to build around Tavares next year.

Stastny is a fit though. St. Louis can promote Fabbri or Sanford next year to replace him internally.

Sign Stastny and Perron. Invest $13 million in cap space. With Patches and Plekanec gone and the increase, you will have about $20 million, with Price taking up 4.

Drouin-Stastny-Perron
Lehkonen-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Hudon-Danault-Sherbak
Byron-(Vermette?)-Shaw

That's a solid roster

Hudon-Sherbak grew together, as did Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Byron-Shaw are good friends off the ice.

A little bit of chemistry.

Still have some cap space for a d-man. Assuming Benn is traded, next GM moves on of Alzner or Schlemko with a pick for a d-man, top 4.

Say you get Vilardi, draft Veleno (hoping), and have Poehling in the system, team is moving in the right direction, draft picks at the table this year, are building blocks of the future, when I think other teams ahead of the Habs cores will be less strong. Say 20-21. Start off a new decade with hope, to end the curse.

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017
Just heard on TVA Spanre that Carolina is interested in Shaw and would be willing to give Faulk but MB is hesitant to deal Shaw... WTF??

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Just heard on TVA Spanre that Carolina is interested in Shaw and would be willing to give Faulk but MB is hesitant to deal Shaw... WTF??
I would ship Faulk to a team looking for a top 2 D signed for another 2 seasons at 4.83mil. I dont see Faulk as part of our long term plan so we better find out his value before making the trade.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Good thing you left the D out. Also why would Galchenyuk suddenly play C?

Putrid D

Different management. I think it is Bergevin/Julien's vision. Not everyone's. Galchenyuk is physically mature enough for centre. But under a different system.

As for d, maybe you get Clague for Pacioretty. Maybe trade picks for a young d, like Nurse or Fleury out of Carolina.

If you could get

Mete-Weber
Nurse-Petry
Alzner-Juulsen

You can still swim

Enstrom is UFA good puck mover, I think he will get picked up though. Elder might come available, cheaper than Nurse for price. Sekeraj out of Edmonton?

I think Alzner is potentially useful still for a PK, for the record. And with less of a shutdown role.

If you can not get Clague, maybe an L.A. 1st gets Veleno, and Dobson is drafted, which gives you a future puck mover. Pacioretty, with a year left on his contract is the most important asset to rebuild with, I think.

John B

Nov 19, 2016
That does seem strange that Bergevin wouldn't jump on that. Faulk has more value than Shaw IMO. Maybe it's because Faulk is a RD and the Habs already have Weber and Petry on RD? Or maybe Shaw is just one piece of the trade and Carolina wants something else as part of the deal. A few years ago I remember reading a rumor that the Canadiens were working on a deal with the Ducks that would have seen Emelin and Fowler switching teams. Again though, you would have to think that there were other pieces involved that were not mentioned. Funny thing is the Smith-Pelly deal happened a few days later.

Reactions: Pacciosoftie

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I'm glad Hawks nailed the picks they for from us. Shows how bad this move is even more. Debrincat is always better than most of the Habs forwards

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal

100% yes. This team needs a major culture change.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
No but imagine what a different GM with a different perspective would do?

Stastny and Tavares are the only 2 centres left for UFAs. I think the Rangers are moving players to build around Tavares next year.

We can't attract UFAs when we are a good team - NOBODY is going to want to willingly come here now. So forget that route.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
We can't attract UFAs when we are a good team - NOBODY is going to want to willingly come here now. So forget that route.
We might sign Bozak but i dont want it to be for more than 2 season, Stajan would probably be accepting anything. There is no point throwing long term deals on anybody.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
That's exactly my point! We are THAT bad lol.
Unless we give McCarron and De La Rose 1 years deals for a final look!?
But what scares me is the amount of cap space we will have and i dont want Bergevin, if still GM, throwing money around like the idiot we know. After all our RFAs signed we will have a couple of roster spot available and 15+ mil in cap space.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Maybe true. That was the case with Toronto when they were on the bottom. The team is, however, one year removed from being #1 in the Atlantic. Followed by a year of offseason mismanagement, desperation from Bergevin. I think if you put a new regime in charge, say Julien Brisebois as GM, and say Dom Ducharme as an assistant, Gallagher as captain, you could get a couple players here on their reputation. It is still Montreal, there is an aura about the franchise. Bergevin has sapped some of it out. But a new direction is at least a new start, and clean slate. If you can get Price and Weber back to their dominant forms, there is something to work with, if not there is a chance for a complete rebuild.

McGuires Corndog

Marc Bergevin juju exorcist
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
That does seem strange that Bergevin wouldn't jump on that. Faulk has more value than Shaw IMO. Maybe it's because Faulk is a RD and the Habs already have Weber and Petry on RD? Or maybe Shaw is just one piece of the trade and Carolina wants something else as part of the deal. A few years ago I remember reading a rumor that the Canadiens were working on a deal with the Ducks that would have seen Emelin and Fowler switching teams. Again though, you would have to think that there were other pieces involved that were not mentioned. Funny thing is the Smith-Pelly deal happened a few days later.

The Habs would have to add big time, I might add, to get Faulk if Shaw is the other piece.

I like Faulk and I’d be open to having him on the team because he’s young enough to be a part of our rebuild, but it would large depend on the + attached to Shaw.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Unless we give McCarron and De La Rose 1 years deals for a final look!?
But what scares me is the amount of cap space we will have and i dont want Bergevin, if still GM, throwing money around like the idiot we know. After all our RFAs signed we will have a couple of roster spot available and 15+ mil in cap space.

As dumb as the Hemsky and Streit deals were... at least they were one year deals. So that sort of thing wouldn't be THAT bad, depending on who he offers it too.

Sand94

Oct 5, 2017
His contract is up in 3 years. It's going to be a lot longer than that before this team is a playoff team again.
So who cares? You resign him because he’s a good player and is literally getting better and better every single year.

You people make no sense. You’d rather have a team full of 19-20 year olds that get beat on every single day and then trade them all when you have a new batch. Idiots

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
So who cares? You resign him because he’s a good player and is literally getting better and better every single year.

You people make no sense. You’d rather have a team full of 19-20 year olds that get beat on every single day and then trade them all when you have a new batch. Idiots

Why would he re-sign here?

His best seasons ever will be in the next year. He'll never be as good again. Just like Price and many others. This team is going nowhere, you are better off getting max value for a player now when standings don't matter.

Besides, the guy isn't some elite stud. He'll be lucky to get 50 points this year and this is coming from a huge BG fan. You get a serious prospect for him and chances are he will be able to match that kind if production relatively soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->