Habs player sightings

Hermamoud

Feb 21, 2008
I saw Emelin at the Rockland center a month ago, and Laraque twice (Salon du Livre and at my school).

I know that they're not habs players, but I also saw Jean Pascal at Carrefour Laval and David Lemieux in a chinese restaurant near my school.

I saw Jean Pascal at Déesses Laval :P

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
Most of the players I've met have all been in downtown area.
The only one I didn't meet in downtown was Dave Morrisette. Saw him at Carrefour Laval.

I wouldn't even say I met the players, just said "Hey" or "Good game"

Saw Komisarek on St-Laurent BLVD. By the time I realized it was actually him, he had already passed me. He was my favorite player back then. Huge missed opportunity for me to talk to him.. being that I'm shy, I didn't want to run towards him to say Hi.

Also saw Tom Kostopoulos on St-Catherine. Wasn't even sure it was him, he was wearing the worst winter jacket possible for a hockey player (some blue and white jacket) maybe he just came back from a ski-trip. Bope. Either way, my girlfriend and I weren't sure if it was him. He was waiting for someone outside a store. After a while, a few fans started talking to him, so we kinda knew it was him. Said Hi, walked away.

Met Danius Zubrus once at HMV in downtown. My friend and I just told him good-luck with his injury, and we hope he returns asap.

Saw Mario Lemieux in the Mont Tremblant village with his kids. My father noticed him first, we didn't really want to say anything at all, he looked annoyed already and was with his kids.

A few years later, we saw Vincent Lecavalier and Brisebois walking infront of us in Mont Tremblant Village. HUGE guys. Ridicilous. Saw them again after, having a beer. Can't remember if this was before the whole Plekanec/Lecavalier trade rumour.

Saw Ribeiro at the airport. We were bringing my grandma to the airport, as she was heading to Portugal for vacation, he was probably bringing his parents. I think he was a Dallas Star at this point. Either way, he looked like the whitest gangster you had ever seen. Didn't really care to say Hi. Not a fan.

One day, we met Plekanec/Halak and Paris Hilton (OT) on the same day. Pretty crazy.
My girlfriend and my two friends were walking down St-Catherine and Halak and his gf/wife/mistress? were walking towards our way. We didn't really notice it until one of my friends starting shouting "HALAK HALAK HALAK!" in the most squeeky voice possible. He was exciting, being that Halak was and still is his favorite of the Price/Halak debate. Don't know why I'm still friends with him :sarcasm: Anyway, Halak was caught a bit off-guard, but stopped, my friend said "Good game last night!" he said "Thanks!" that was it. I think we had clinched a playoff spot or were finished first in the conference. Can't remember what it was.

Anyway, we went into Chapters a bit after. Looking at books all individually, when my girlfriend comes up to me and says, "I think I just saw Plekanec, or a guy who looks FREAKISHLY like him"... We walked passed his way and low and behold, it was the Turtleneck gangsta, with his girlfriend. We said, good game last night.. again. (We're boring eh?) and he said Thanks.. and we let him be.

We then saw a crowd gathered around a store taking pictures, it ended up being Paris Hilton shopping at a store. Yeah I know who cares.

Anyway. I've seen a few, but no conversations with any... judging from people's stories here, I had alot of missed chances at talking with them! If I could do it over, I'd probably talk to them more.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I remember the Paris Hilton day, I was walking home from school and I saw this huge crowd outside of some clothes store, I figured there was an accident or injury or something so I tried to look over the crowd to see if there was a dead person in the store or something, but soon after I find out the crowd is there for Paris Hilton. What a disappointment.

Not as disappointing as knowing I could have stalked Plekanec, since I passed by that chapters. :cry:

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
I remember the Paris Hilton day, I was walking home from school and I saw this huge crowd outside of some clothes store, I figured there was an accident or injury or something so I tried to look over the crowd to see if there was a dead person in the store or something, but soon after I find out the crowd is there for Paris Hilton. What a disappointment.

Not as disappointing as knowing I could have stalked Plekanec, since I passed by that chapters. :cry:

That is crazy, future nooblet mods passed by each other and we didn't even know.
I keep thinking it was Roots Canada store. I dont know why. I remember alot of people taking pictures. We stopped and wondered what was going on since we saw no one, but Paris Hilton being a stick that she is, was behind one of the poles on the store floor.

As for Plekanec. I can't remember if he was wearing a turtleneck. :(

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
Oh, yeah, I made eye contact with Geoff Molson the other night at the Bulldogs game. :laugh:

My friend scores us some free seats in 114 and as the second period ended I was walking up the steps to get to the concourse...Geoff happened to enter 114 and started walking down the stairs with his son, he was carrying his concessions. I realized who it was, didn't really want to make a scene, just nodded and said hey, he smiled and nodded back, pretty much all I wanted.

When it comes to athletes and people that are famous, I don't like to make them feel like they're the center of attention. I'm sure some of them enjoy it, but I'm sure others also appreciate being treated as human beings too.

A little off-topic and off-sport, but my bud and I ran into Ryan Dempster in Boston at the Nike store after he was traded to the Rangers (we were in Boston to watch a few Red Sox games, not a Red Sox fan haha)...then we ran into the Packers' fullback, John Kuhn, in Chicago walking down the street in December when we were there to catch the Packers-Bears game.

Anyway, back to the topic - Habs. Francis Bouillon came by my uncle's shop once a couple years back before he went back to Nashville, pretty cool. Guy is wicked built. Signed a cap for me.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
I got a few.

Most recently a month ago i saw laraque trying to find change to pay for a parking meter in westmount.

Carey price after his usain bolt game in florida trip was at the guess store on st catherine. I was a little creepy waiting for him to get out of the changing room to get another glance. Full on creeper.

My best one though was seeing price, gorges and o'byrne at winnies for st pattys. Price was with his girl, gorges was bat**** wasted. Like stumbling drunk. He asked my friend if she could drive him home haha... So sloppy! I shook ryan obyrnes hand and congratulated him on his most recent fight. He was huuugggeee. Really snazzy looking though. My friend was so creeped out by gorges though. Apparently he kept saying "do you know who i am?" To her haha

NewBlood

Sep 8, 2005
Marc-Andre Fleury was on my flight (Chicago-Montreal) with his future last this summer. Later walked by Notre Dame cathedral when they got married in July/August and got to see Talbot (wearing ugly red clothes) and Fedotenko.

My girlfriend lives in the same building as Yannick Weber and Matteo Ferrari (Impact). Gomez, Cammalleri and Campoli all lived there as well. Got to see the 5 of them.

I saw Roenick, Primeau and Desjardins at McGibbins a few years back.

Saw Gionta on St. Catherine.

That's all I can remember for now. Never spoke to any of them though, I just don't like to bother people.

ReppingMTL

Mar 22, 2012
I know there not Habs players but nonetheless met a few NHL players through the years.

Three years ago, I met Sid at Pierrefonds Arena in the West-Island. He was doing a Gatorade commercial. They were supposed to lock all the doors and curtain all the windows but they forgot one. Me and my brother went in through the back door, surprisingly no security kicked us out. We watched Sid do his shoot and during break time, we both went down to see him. Sadly enough, he didn't really want to be bothered. He was just on the other side of the rink drinking water but he sent over a security guard to take the things we wanted signed, brought it to him, he signed and gave it back to the security guard to give back to us. We left on our own but it would have been nice to talk to him.

A couple of times over the summers, I've met Lecavalier, Richards and St-Louis. Mostly Lecavalier though. He comes to Pierrefonds to play shinny hockey. I got to play once with him and it was unreal. Really nice guy. Some guy accidentally collided with Vinny and somehow they both went down. I would have been pissed but Vinny got up and made sure the other guy was okay. Nonetheless, he has family that lives in Ile-Bizard and usually if you go to shinny at night, you'll see him.

Also, I'm friends with Dave Jackson's kid (NHL Ref) and whenever he refs, me and his son go downstairs to see him after the game. After we go to the garage and wait for the opposing team's players to get on the bus. Usually, it's a waiting space for family members and "important" people. I have met many players from team's like Ottawa, Boston, Washington....
The last game against Boston, Dave reffed and me and his kid went down to see the players. It's funny how the ass*oles on the ice are the nicest guys. Andrew Ference was by far the nicest, usually people just sign and go on the bus but he would actually talk to every single individual. When the bus was filled, a kid got there late and wanted a Ference signature (Ference, really?), since the windows are shaded, Ference can play it like he didn't see him but he came out and actually signed the kid's jersey. Lucic too was extremely nice. He took photos with everyone , he actually blocked a shot that game and came out in crutches, his family was there too waiting to talk to him but he still took every photo and was the last guy to get on the bus. Rask was a real cool dude too. I talked with him the longest. I was telling him how he is in my fantasy pool and he's playing great and that he is saving me from my other goalie disaster Theodore. He found it really funny and was telling me don't worry Theo will bounce back (Not counting on it). Now Marchand on the other hand, a rat on the ice and off the ice. He would take pictures but he had the face that said "Don't talk to me, I'm doing this cause I have too...." The worst was Hamilton, the kid just found out he made the NHL, was the first one out of the dressing room but just walked by everyone and said " Sorry, not today". There were so many little kids that wanted his autograph but he just walked causally into the bus.

Mind you, I'm taking a one game sample but nonetheless, just a couple of guys I've met over the years.
After the reading all this, I bet your real question is why in the hell did I take Theodore for my fantasy pool!

Last edited:

Picaroon

Apr 6, 2008
New Brunswick
Not habs players but I stayed at the same hotel as the Devils a few years ago in. I was heading up to my floor in the elevator, looked at the guy next to me and low and behold it was Marty Brodeur. Introduced myself and shook his hand then my floor came. The man was a giant. His hands were freakishly large.
The next day in the lobby they all came down and I remember saying hey to Gionta and Lou Lamiorello talked to us a bit. He was really friendly.
Got to see them play the Sens that night too. Brodeur shut them down.

crystal ball

Mar 30, 2007
Never really met him, but had a funny encounter with Gionta. I was walking by the Bell Centre, passing the garage door where the players go in and out. This huge black Hummer pulled out and stopped to check for traffic, right in the middle of the sidewalk. I had to stop and wait for it to move, so I gave the driver the "what the hell are you doing, idiot?" face. He sheepishly shrugged and did the "sorry man" face. Then I realized it was Gionta.

My friend was with the caterers who did the food for Josh Gorges' Super Bowl party. He sneaked some pics, but nothing great.

Aspirine

Lateral Move at Best
Sep 21, 2010
Montreal
Never saw/met any Habs players, but I just realized after watching the Prust/MPMorin/Gallys video that the Sartorialto shop was just next to my home lol.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Stood side by side with Paul McCartny at a urinal at the Hilton in the Republic of Maldives...we looked at each other, nodded and silently agreed we wouldn't look down at each other's equipment

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
I travel quite a bit for work so always end up seeing guys at the airport and have actually ended up sitting next to a few guys on flights. Sat directly next to Gainey, Chris Nilan, and Max Lapierre on different occasions. Made small talk with them but didn't want to be a pain in the ass either. Lapierre was actually pretty talkative and I was actually hoping he would just shutup. I was tired and wanted to get some shut eye.:laugh:

Saw Ribeiro at the airport once and said to him " hey you look an awful lot like Mike Ribeiro". He just looked me and responded yeah I get that alot.:) Ok guy, but I just left him alone.

e46330ivs*

I have many stories with Sens players, but Heatley use to give me tickets all the time and he would invite us down for pizza with the boys after the game. I remember the first game I went to, we go downstairs to meet him after the game, and were waiting in the lobby and notice Heatley come out of a door right in front of us, at the same time Theo is coming from a door right beside me, Heatley's approaching us with a smile like what up guys, what do I do turn to Theo shake his hand tell him good game even though him and Souray had just got undressed by Spezza, the look on Heatley' face was priceless. I have a pretty good story as well leaving a Kleenex box with all the pics of Sens players glued on the box with official sponsor of the Ottawa Senators next to the Kleenex logo after a back to back where we beat them, now that was hilarious.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
If we're talking about meeting sports players in general, I once went on the field at the Big O for an entire game (vs. Boston, 2001 or 2002?). Literally bumped into Gurerro who was my favourite player at the time, got to talking with Grahame Lloyd in the dugout, and met a few other players. It was ridiculously cool.

Benoit Brunet is a semi-regular at the A&W in Chateauguay. Drives an ugly clay orange scion SUV. The last time he came in before I quit I spoke to him for a bit, he seemed like a pretty alright guy. Also, I'm related to Toe Blake through marriage. I found out my family was apparently supposed to go to his funeral, but we had prior engagements.

WeberBombs

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
I saw Benoit Pouliot at EBGames in Quartier Dix-30 two years ago. I was going to get my copy of NHL 11 and he was doing the same thing. Thought it was pretty cool. His GTR had a pretty sweet sound.

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I met Zdeno Chara at the Dorval airport.

I was at the magazine store, and this huge guy walks up next to me and picks up a mag. I look over at him and say "Zdeno?" He replies, "Yeah?" So...I said, "you are always my first pick in the fantasy draft of EA NHL 2xxx!"

He laughed. I left him alone after that but I kept bumping into him around the airpot, lounge, bathroom etc...., and we exchanged those "yeah it's me" faces. Turned out he was on my flight to Colorado.

Madevilz

Nov 9, 2003
Montreal
Maxim Lapierre 4-5 years ago. Went to Amir after a night out at around 3AM. Guess Laps was doing the same.

Just this summer I have seen Hamrlik, Bourque, Gorges and Gallagher at the dog park in Brossard... Bourque told me I have a nice dog, u mad?

Aspirine

Lateral Move at Best
Sep 21, 2010
Montreal
Maxim Lapierre 4-5 years ago. Went to Amir after a night out at around 3AM. Guess Laps was doing the same.

Just this summer I have seen Hamrlik, Bourque, Gorges and Gallagher at the dog park in Brossard... Bourque told me I have a nice dog, u mad?

Touring the city with their new Armdog?:sarcasm:

Slew Foots

Everything is OK
Sep 6, 2006
I've bumped into quite a few players over the years, but the most memorable was chatting with Markov, A.Kostitsyn and Komisarek at Buddha Bar in NYC. Kostitsyn has freakishly huge hands which he used to repeatedly smack me on the shoulder with a big goofy smile as he asked me if I liked to fly and if I wanted to meet girls (yes he was presumably intoxicated). Markov was really cool and friendly...he took the time to chat with me for a little while actually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->