Post-Game Talk: Habs play like Romaine lettuce and lose to Devils 2-5

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Good #2. Useless in the 2nd round or deeper in the playoffs. Unreliable out West and has potential for gaffe laden games like his last one in Nashville against San Jose. Built his reputation with Suter, who has gone on to perform excellently to the point of overuse in Minnesota.
Lol sure. Josi was just as bad as Weber in that game, is he a good #2 as well? Weber has produced and played like a #1dman during his entire time here.

Reactions: Mrb1p

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
The defense needs a complete overhaul from the complete overhaul MB did to it before last season. MB before last season started "I think our defense will be better or at least on par with our defense from last season". Yeah right Marc.
Marc treated his inherited Snap-on screwdrivers(Subban, Markov) like the cheapest Stanleys from Walmart and the Stanleys from Walmart(Benn, especially Alzner, Schlemko) as Snap-on Screwdrivers.

*Snap-on is a manufacturer of high-quality expensive tools commonly used by mechanics and expensive as shit even on Ebay.

Jul 6, 2016
That small Habs team is starting to run out of gas. No surprise there.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Lol sure. Josi was just as bad as Weber in that game, is he a good #2 as well? Weber has produced and played like a #1dman during his entire time here.
Defensemen are not paid to score goals. His passing and vision to make quality plays that tilt the ice are unused by him and he constantly defers to his partner. That asterisk will always be next to his 50 points. You can shut down Weber on the PP by blocking his shot and having good PKers. You can't stop a Doughty or Karlsson making sweet tape-to-tape passes all that time that don't always make the statesheet.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
Marc treated his inherited Snap-on screwdrivers(Subban, Markov) like the cheapest Stanleys from Walmart and the Stanleys from Walmart(Benn, especially Alzner, Schlemko) as Snap-on Screwdrivers.

*Snap-on is a manufacturer of high-quality expensive tools commonly used by mechanics and expensive as **** even on Ebay.
This message was brought to you by Snap-On©.
Snap-On©, all the talent in a toolbox.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Let’s see-
Schlemko has been on about 6 NHL teams in 8 years.
Alzner was a healthy scratch in the playoffs during his last year in Washington.
Benn is nothing more than a 6-7 D.
Ouellet was not qualified by Detroit and allowed to leave for nothing to which the best contract he could get was a two way deal. These guys are eating a lot of minutes (minus Alzner) and we are seeing the results...worst D Corps in the entire league. Name me one team whose D are worse than Montreal’s...

Reactions: Runner77

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
His Montreal stats are a bit under and NOT better. His career average is about 50 points if you remove his first 3 seasons before he really broke out. He had 42 when he played a full season. His 16 in 26 averages to 50. In total, in Montreal, he's a bit under his average. Nothing alarming.

Career Stats:
- 867 games
- 189 goals (prorates to 18 goals per Season)
- 501 points (prorates to 47 points per Season)

Habs Stats:
- 104 games
- 23 goals (prorates to 18 goals per Season)
- 58 points (prorates to 46 points per Season)

Age 30+ Stats:
- 182 games
- 43 goals (prorates to 19 goals per Season)
- 109 points (prorates to 49 points per Season)

His age 30+ stats are on par or better than his career stats. I don't see evidence of decline. His game was never built on speed. We should reasonably expect to see the same Weber for a few years yet with some up and down type seasons. It happens to everybody.

He's been very consistent. The only thing that concerned me was if he had set backs in his recovery. I think he comes back refreshed and ready to go. We didn't do a temporary grind and smooth out fix in his meniscus tear, we did a full sew and let heal repair.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The Habs are gonna be like some of those Leaf teams from a few years ago which started out fairly strong and gave many fans early hope before starting to wither and eventually bottoming out before the season ended. We have turned into those Leaf teams. :(
I think there is still a distinct possibility for a top 5 pick

Reactions: sheed36

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Career Stats:
- 867 games

Habs Stats:
- 104 games

Age 30+ Stats:
- 182 games

His age 30+ stats are on par or better than his career stats. I don't see evidence of decline. His game was never built on speed. We should reasonably expect to see the same Weber for a few years yet with some up and down type seasons. It happens to everybody
Let’s see how he rebounds from his recent injuries before making this assessment

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Defensemen are not paid to score goals.
*cough cough Brent Burns cough cough*

His passing and vision to make quality plays that tilt the ice are unused by him and he constantly defers to his partner.
Yeah he really needs the help of the elite LHD he's been gifted here. I mean Jerabek, Mete, Emelin and Benn? Superstars that make Weber better, not the other way around.
You can shut down Weber on the PP by blocking his shot and having good PKers. You can't stop a Doughty or Karlsson making sweet tape-to-tape passes all that time that don't always make the statesheet.
This is almost as bad as your take on Tatar early in the season. If it's so easy to shut down Weber on the PP, why hasn't anyone done it? The guy is 33 and no PKers have been able to answer his cannon of a shot for his entire career. That's like saying it's easy to shut down Ovechkin on the PP by just blocking his shot. If it's so easy, maybe you should do it. You'd be the first person in history to be able to eliminate Ovechkins shot on the PP.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Weber coming back won't change much and it will also likely coincide with Domis PDO falling.
Weber coming back means he will play around 25 minutes of #1 D hockey. That also means that one of Schlemko/Benn will be scratched. That's already a huge change.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
It was such a huge change that it did nothing for the team last year and helped them get crushed out of the gate.
Don't forget that Weber was playing injured. Also Juulsen wasn't there for the start of the year, I think he's better than most of the dmen at the start of the year last year. Defense will still suck because of our LHD. It's the worst in the NHL.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Don't forget that Weber was playing injured. Also Juulsen wasn't there for the start of the year, I think he's better than most of the dmen at the start of the year last year. Defense will still suck because of our LHD. It's the worst in the NHL.

That's my point. Sure Weber coming in pushes one bad player out but he couldn't save them last year and there's still such a void of talent back there that no matter how good Petry or Weber play, they can't defend the entire ice surface and the left side with get exploited.

The scoring will dry up because Domi simply isn't a 90 pt talent. That pace and his underlying numbers show that.

People just need to accept the reality that the team is still a major work in progress and while it's been great to watch them play a more exciting brand of hockey, they need a lot more..

More pain for Montreal is coming.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Personally, I don't see Weber changing much on defense. It's still the same pylons playing next to him on LD.

Holy moly this defense keeps trending downwards, and it ain't pretty at game 22.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Personally, I don't see Weber changing much on defense. It's still the same pylons playing next to him on LD.

Holy moly this defense keeps trending downwards, and it ain't pretty at game 22.

And Juulsen and Mete are better off learning from Bouchard in the AHL. There's a lot of warts in their games.

Reactions: sheed36 and PhysicX

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
That small Habs team is starting to run out of gas. No surprise there.

I'm sure our small forwards like Domi, Drouin, Gallagher and Tatar are the reason we are losing games.

Its certainly not because of our big 6'1+ dmen like Benn, Schlemko and Ouelett

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
7oYF8Kc.gif
That is some phallic imagery there.

Reactions: PhysicX

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Defensemen are not paid to score goals. His passing and vision to make quality plays that tilt the ice are unused by him and he constantly defers to his partner. That asterisk will always be next to his 50 points. You can shut down Weber on the PP by blocking his shot and having good PKers. You can't stop a Doughty or Karlsson making sweet tape-to-tape passes all that time that don't always make the statesheet.
Yet he routinely scores 15 or more a year.

Reactions: The Great Schlemko

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
That's my point. Sure Weber coming in pushes one bad player out but he couldn't save them last year and there's still such a void of talent back there that no matter how good Petry or Weber play, they can't defend the entire ice surface and the left side with get exploited.

The scoring will dry up because Domi simply isn't a 90 pt talent. That pace and his underlying numbers show that.

People just need to accept the reality that the team is still a major work in progress and while it's been great to watch them play a more exciting brand of hockey, they need a lot more..

More pain for Montreal is coming.
And Juulsen too. Weber, Petry and Juulsen are our best defensemen but they are all RHD. If Bergevin doesn't make a move soon to fix that then Habs are in trouble.

I don't know about Domi. I keep saying that he will slow down, but we are already a quarter of the season in and he's still one of the top scorers in the league. Pleasant surprise for sure, and a 70 point season isn't out of the question. Don't forget about his end to the year for Arizona too.

I don't think we are going to be as bad as last year, I expect us to be a bubble team. Domi and Kotkaniemi(and even Tatar) have exceeded expectations compared to what I thought they would do.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Career Stats:
- 867 games

Habs Stats:
- 104 games

Age 30+ Stats:
- 182 games

His age 30+ stats are on par or better than his career stats. I don't see evidence of decline. His game was never built on speed. We should reasonably expect to see the same Weber for a few years yet with some up and down type seasons. It happens to everybody

His stats in Montreal are.
You just cherry picked 30+.

I don't cherry pick. I look at when the first decline comments came out and why. It arcs back to his last game with Nashville, just weeks before the trade. THAT'S when the decline comments came out, before he was a Habs. I clearly remember the team 690 bunch being the first ones I heard talk about decline, the following morning of Nashville's elimination to the Sharks.

Also, you use his entire career stats which is faulty if you want to look at decline. To see decline, you need to calculate prime years. This should be obvious and logical. By using his entire career, you are skewing what he truly averages in his prime. Please re-read this a few times before interjecting and trying to refute this.

Now, his prime stats are 373 pts in 602 games for a ppg average of 50.8 points per 82 games.

In his first season in Montreal, he had only 42 points. Almost a full 10 points (8) below his prime average, 14 points below his career high. Now, he did play great that season, but since there was a decline in offensive stats the season right after pundits first started talking about decline, there's room for discussion.

As for the following season, the 16 in 26, it isn't proof enough as the season before, Weber started out with 17 pts in 20 games, only to get 25 pts in the next 58 games, so those 16 pts in 26 games are just proof that Weber starts off strong, a reputation he has from as far back as Nashville. It's not proof that he would've kept that rate going forward, even without injury. The ample samples from the past are proof enough.

Now, I say all of this to impress on you the reasons why people have doubts. There is legitimate data for people to think his offense is starting to decline.

Now add the injuries and you'll understand why you'll waste your time arguing over this.

I personally think he'll be around the 40-45 mark for a while IF both his injuries haven't permanently hindered him. I think he has good chances of being back close to 100%.

let's face it though, while still being a good #1, he'll never be as dominant as he was between 25-30, but we'll still have a solid D if the injuries haven't slowed him down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad