Calgary
Barber Shop Grand Opening!!!

dW97Z2w.jpg

Discuss

Last edited:

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Finally a game that I will be able to watch. We're all working so much overtime at my job right now that the part-timers are putting in at least 40 hours each, nevermind us full-time staff or worse yet the interns.
What do you do if I may ask?

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
With Sunday's win from Florida and NYR, the Habs are sliding fast in the Standings.
No more margin of error. If they want to have a chance, they need to put it some strong winning streak.

Doubt it's possible.
Habs might completely out of the picture by Christmas.

No more: Great effort, moral victory, guys played well but were not lucky….no more excuses.

Still can' believe NYR initiated a real rebuild after the Habs and are now standing ahead of the Habs,
That's what happens when you're not committed to a direction.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
With Sunday's win from Florida and NYR, the Habs are sliding fast in the Standings.
No more margin of error. If they want to have a chance, they need to put it some strong winning streak.

Western road trip comin' up!! On the road until 2020 after Saturday when the team hosts Detroit. My guess is it'll be difficult to find positives for Holiday season hockey talk with friends, relatives etc -- even for the relentless optimists on this board. All five of Boston, Toronto, Buffalo, Florida and Tampa will likely finish ahead of us; we don't even get to have a Wildcard conversation, the team's not good enough. In previous years BUF & FLA weren't solid enough, well now they are and we're toast. Don't count on Tampa or Toronto to lay down for us, not happening.

With that said, enjoy the week folks. No insane amount of snow to clear at home / no gridlock to deal with on the way to work = no real problem.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Doubt it's possible.

No more: Great effort, moral victory, guys played well but were not lucky….no more excuses.

Still can' believe NYR initiated a real rebuild after the Habs and are now standing ahead of the Habs,

Being out of the race by Christmas would be a good thing so it stops us from chasing the "straight". However, I don't see us fans who want some vets to be sold at the deadline to be so lucky.

I think it will be more of the same as last season

Reactions: Binary Code

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Being out of the race by Christmas would be a good thing so it stops us from chasing the "straight". However, I don't see us fans who want some vets to be sold at the deadline to be so lucky.

I think it will be more of the same as last season
It is more like the last 25... there is no hope, no matter what kind of garbage bin diving GM does. That xmas trip should put the lid on this season.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

Everyone laughed at Ottawa, but would it really be that surprising if they do the same next season?

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009

Doubt it's possible.

Thats also what happens when you can sign top UFA to accelerate the process.(Panarin)

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
.... Or Tavares... LOL.....

UFA route is not the solution 9o% of the time.

I don’t think it’s a solution in the sense that you can’t build a team mainly thru free agency, but if you can patch some holes in your lineup with it, it can be a very important thing and in that particular case, adding Panarin made the Rangers go from a bottom of the standing team to a middle of the pack one.. Will it be a good thing short term(will probably miss on another top 5 pick) and long term( Panarin might not be as effective in 2-3 years) time will tell....

Reactions: jj cale

Jul 6, 2016
I don’t think it’s a solution in the sense that you can’t build a team mainly thru free agency, but if you can patch some holes in your lineup with it, it can be a very important thing and in that particular case, adding Panarin made the Rangers go from a bottom of the standing team to a middle of the pack one.. Will it be a good thing short term(will probably miss on another top 5 pick) and long term( Panarin might not be as effective in 2-3 years) time will tell....

Those hight-priced star UFA players CHOSE where they want to play, and MTL is not at the head of their wish list. Habs have to gamble to find a fitting piece. Sometimes it's blows up in their face like Alzner, Peca or Kinkaid, some other times it has positive impact like Chiarot and ???

Look at Bobrovski in Florida or Duchene in Nashville ... So far, not impressive at all.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Being unentertained. Over and over. Stay not tuned.

I bet Malkin can entertain us.

He's gonna be the only elite player on the ice at any moment, and the Habs roster looks like half an AHL roster.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Completely agree with this.

Would also add that the GM's ability to sell the city and how he conducts himself with UFAs, also has an impact on the signing process. Sure, Montreal has known shortcomings but when your GM starts publicly badgering his captain and washes dirty laundry in the media, it sends a clear signal to future UFAs that should they have a down season, the GM will take it very personally and make their lives miserable. Marc De Foy has said as much about Bergevin.

Also, no GM can afford to not have all the tools in his player procurement tool box available to him. Signing a UFA is a significant one, especially for a team that has finished the last two seasons with a lot of unused cap room and is looking to doing so again this season. Not being able to sign a UFA, especially the access it gives to premium players, puts more pressure on the GM to vye for those players via the other means. No one is suggesting that you should be building a team via the UFA market but signing that one player at a position of need, can be an important difference-maker esp. when a team is one or two pieces away from a cycle of contention.

Ideally, you'd want to be able to tap into all modes of player procurement while evidently favoring those core means like drafting and development which are the most sustainable and from which the majority of your players should come. As we have seen, this isn't even an area the Habs have been favoring since a large percentage of their NHL roster is not home grown.

Reactions: jj cale and Edgy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad