Proposal: Habs-Panthers

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
The OP is not realistic.
Habs first priority is an LD to pair with Weber.
Second is a top 6 LW.
Last, would be a C, but only if we are moving one out, and they must have top 6 potential to replace Plekanec, and Beaulieu won't return that by himself.
Just don't see anything needed in the OP.

From a near-term perspective you are right. If we look at needs on a larger scale, C is a major concern.

Plekanec is still worthy but decline can be expected. He cannot be relied on to support Galchenyuk offensively in the long run. McCarron - if used as a C - would be slotted as our 3rd string. Danault could also possibly fit in that spot. Unless we convert prospects like Hudon or Scherbak, options are quite limited offensively speaking down in the middle.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
From a near-term perspective you are right. If we look at needs on a larger scale, C is a major concern.

Plekanec is still worthy but decline can be expected. He cannot be relied on to support Galchenyuk offensively in the long run. McCarron - if used as a C - would be slotted as our 3rd string. Danault could also possibly fit in that spot. Unless we convert prospects like Hudon or Scherbak, options are quite limited offensively speaking down in the middle.

I agree with you. I also disagree with many Habs fans at the moment that a top pair LD is a priority going into the season, let's give Beaulieu and Markov a chance. My biggest concern is our smurf third line but I don't see a way to remedy that going into the season. Desharnais needs to be moved first and McCarron needs more work in the AHL, he's not quite ready.

I also wonder why Florida fans are saying their LD is set. Seems like their biggest need to me. After Yandle, it's Kindl (#7 or worse on most teams), and guys with little-to-no NHL experience, although decent prospects.

Last edited:

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
I think the Canadiens would need to add a rather significant piece to make that approach equal.

And in that case they would be better off piling up the assets and going after Barkov, who still has franchise player potential. Bjugstad alone won't change the course of a franchise, Barkov just might.

Florida would still have a strong Center duo in Trochek/Bjugs going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad