Habs paid $300000 to Russian league for Kostitsyn

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Mike The Wall, Oct 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. Mike The Wall

Mike The Wall Registered User

Home Page:
  2. The Old Master

The Old Master Registered User

the hab's are starting to look more and more like the rangers. nowonder the nhl is on strike!!!!!

3. Aarex

Aarex Registered User

Programmer Analyst
    Since when is 300k alot to bring a player from the RSL to NA?

Before the Deal we had with IIHF expired I believe it cost clubs 250k to bring a player over...I could very well be mistaken as i'm mostly talking out of my ass.

but when They want 3 million for Ovechkin, thats another story.

Oh and prior to the CHL NHL agreement expired the CHL teams were getting 200k for first rounders (Thanks Dan)

So, I fail to see how spending 300k to bring a player from europe to NA is considered alot of money for a first round draft pick. (Montreal(Dan) reported that the RSL originally asked for 2 million for Kostsitsyn)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2004
  4. Jacob

Jacob Registered User

Home Page:
    300k is a lot for a guy that wasn't even a regular in CSKA's lineup.

5. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Registered User

Home Page:
    you still have to pay up to 200k$ to bring late 1sr round CHLer ..
    and 150k$ under the IIHF agreement for euro 1sr rounder... now the RSL IMO would want at least 300k$ for each 1st rounder watch out ! :teach:

6. NYRangers

NYRangers Registered User

<rim shot>

7. Buffaloed

Buffaloed webmaster

Right, but it's more than $150K under the old IIHF agreement, as I've previously documented on the International Board:

http://www.iihf.com/news/iihfpr4003.htm

$300K wasn't out of line for a first rounder under the expired agreement. There's nothing Rangeresque about what the Habs paid. When a new agreement is signed, we're probably looking at fees starting at $500K for 1st rounders and reaching $1 million for top 10 picks. Of course the Habs could have waited for his RSL contract to expire and brought him over for nothing. :D

8. Goldthorpe

Goldthorpe Meditating Guru

I really don't understand what's the fuss about that 300k. It's pocket money, specially since Kostitsyn is one of Montreal most hyped prospect.

9. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Registered User

Because of Kostitsyn's tricky health concerns, the Habs felt they had to bring this guy over.

I think it's a reasonable move in the circumstances. That being said, wouldn't it have been better to bring him over last year?

10. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Registered User

300k is not pocket money in today's NHL. You simply do not know what you are talking about.

300k is enough to create contract tensions between top notch *proven* NHL players and their team. But somehow you'd want us to believe it's pocket change when talking about a questionable selection...

11. Goldthorpe

Goldthorpe Meditating Guru

Compare this amount to what other teams have paid in similar situations like previously mentioned in this thread. They are pretty similar, or maybe the habs overpaid a bit (but we're not talking much here). Also, remember that the NHL-Russian prospect aggreement has expired, and that the russians are looking to get a better deal this time.

Frankly, if that 300k could become some kind of ballpark figure for any future deal involving these leagues, then I would find that fair. It is supposed to cover the player's development, and it's not terribly high considering the rookie salaries.

Kostitsyn health concern have been exagerated. He didn't enjoy a very good season in russia last year, and being a Belorusian, he would have had some difficulties finding a spot in his Superleague team. That alone is good enough reason to bring him here. Plus, he needs to learn NA defensive hockey, and the AHL is a good place to do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.