Speculation: Habs on Tradecentre Part 3 (Who do you want at the deadline/in free agency?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
There is no point in engaging in an arms race with Pittsburgh and Boston and morgage the future in the process in answer to the moves they have/will make. Both the Pens and the Bruins won the cup recently and still have the same core of players with a difference here and there

I wouldn't be against adding a D and a guy like Boll or someone in that mold but other than that go with what we have and see how things turns out. As of right now the Habs CAN compete with them with the elements in place. Iginla , Morrow or whoever im pretty sure the Habs can give any team a run for their money in POs. They may not win the cup but they can make it competitive against any powerhouse imho.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
at this point I'd prefer they stand-pat, or if we do make a move, have it be either of the Ryder variety (moving a player we don't want/need for a UFA-to-be) or a deal that adds a player we will have on contract through next season or more.

We've overachieved this year, which is great fun, but that also affords us more patience then teams that have a more pressing "win-now" cap situation.

Price
Subban, Emelin, Diaz, Gorges
Plekanec, MaxPac, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Eller, Prust, DD

at every position our core of talent are either locked-up for 3+ more years or RFA's to be (except Emelin, whom i expect will get extended before hitting UFA)

with Tinordi, Beaulieu, Leblanc, Kristo, Colberg, Dumont, Bournival, Ellis & a few others, providing us with a solid group of prospects quite likely to become NHL players in the near future (with perhaps 1-3 of them becoming impact players), we have cheap quality depth in the pipelines.

add in the 6 top-90 picks this offseason, and we are loaded with the kind of organizational depth that should build us into a perennial contender as long as things are managed well.

Aside from Clarskson or Smid, there aren't any "rentals" out there that would be worth paying a premium for (and in both, the reason it makes sense is b/c they'd fit a slot worth signing long-term).
otherwise, aside from maybe a depth pick-up for a late pick or player/prospect we have no use for, better to just see what this group can do, and then focus on the next 1-2 seasons to leverage some of our prospect depth into an impact player via trade.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Go for Clowe.

He is a good playoff warrior, big body, physical, and when somebody in our top 6 would have a off-night, he can take his place easily.

hogtownhabsfan*

I'd give up secondary assets for Clowe. A 2nd rounder plus a secondary prospect.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Go for Clowe.

He is a good playoff warrior, big body, physical, and when somebody in our top 6 would have a off-night, he can take his place easily.

I wouldn't mind as long as the price is reasonable. B prospect and a 3rd or 4th.

DailyKaizen

all be much better next year,plus you have the offseason + Free Agency to improve the club where needed without having to overpay at the trade deadline

Some have the foresight to see that with the cap going down next season an a "surprising" amount of decent players will be bought out and teams that diligently managed the cap beforehand (us), will get "first" dibs on those players.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Rumor is that the Sharks want a first, a second and a prospect.

They wont get that since the Iginla trade.

Galchenyuk-Eller-Clowe

That would be the ideal thrid line. That would give space and time for Gally and Eller, and Eller loves to mix it up, so when he'll do that, Clowe would be there to back him up. I bet nobody's gonna touch Eller or Gally after the whisle.

Pacioretty-Desharnais-BGally
Ryder-Plekanec-Gionta
Galchenyuk-Eller-Clowe
Moen-Halpern-Prust

When Bourque is ready, you find in a spot in-there, and by that time, there's might be another injury... (I hope not).

Halifaxhab*

If they get that kind of return, it better not be from us. That is WAY too rich for what he has been able to bring this year. He is having an off year, and he MIGHT be able to turn it around with a new team....but how often does that happen with a player as well established as him on a team that has solid pieces?

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
If they get that kind of return, it better not be from us. That is WAY too rich for what he has been able to bring this year. He is having an off year, and he MIGHT be able to turn it around with a new team....but how often does that happen with a player as well established as him on a team that has solid pieces?
They won't get that.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Boston might be desperate enough to offer that up now.

Boston made that offer because it was Iginla. The best player available.

I bet you they turn around and they make a deal for a d-man (Dan Boyle, Streit, etc)

hogtownhabsfan*

Well that's ridiculous. Clowe has been awful this year and is injured. And a rental.

Anything over a 2nd a secondary prospect for him and I want no part in the deal.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
The Iginla return will have no effect on what Clowe gets as a return. Every GM in the league understands that the Flames let Iginla pick his destination, so it's not like they could ask for the world.

On the other hand, 29 GMs could put in an offer for Clowe so it's not hard to imagine a scenario where a bidding war breaks out.

hogtownhabsfan*

Boston made that offer because it was Iginla. The best player available.

I bet you they turn around and they make a deal for a d-man (Dan Boyle, Streit, etc)

Yea, they had Krug on their first unit PP last night. A Boyle or a Streit to pair with Chara on the power play is their next need.

hogtownhabsfan*

The Iginla return will have no effect on what Clowe gets as a return. Every GM in the league understands that the Flames let Iginla pick his destination, so it's not like they could ask for the world.

On the other hand, 29 GMs could put in an offer for Clowe so it's not hard to imagine a scenario where a bidding war breaks out.

Clowe has been awful, is injured, slow, and a rental. He's being overvalued immensely. At this point he's a bottom 6 guy who can chip in offensively and scrap.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
I'm in the group that says stand pat or trade assets that aren't in picture for next year if the buyer is willing to overpay. I'm not sure about Ryder. At the right price on his next contract he might be worth keeping.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Just heard from radio sports marc bergervin offed louis leblanc and nashville 2nd for clowe.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I think it's fair to say that Louis Leblanc don't seems to be in the future plan of habs.
Still he is a 1st round (18th overall) 6' Right handed Center. Can have some value.

I'm pretty sure, considering the team Bergevin have and what they've accomplished this year.......Bergevin will not be shy to trade one of his 2nd rounder (or a 3rd), espacially his own 2nd rounder which will probably a very low 2nd pick.....even if it's just to send a message to the players that everybody believe they got a chance.

They're is always Weber, if he gets healthy in time.
Cheap, Young, Right handed PMD can be worth something too.

Kaberle, White or Moen can be made available if someone wants them.

What combos/trios can be worth something helpful on the market?

Weber + Leblanc + 2nd round?
Moen + 3rd round?
White + Weber + 3rd round?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad