Speculation: Habs on Tradecentre Part 3 (Who do you want at the deadline/in free agency?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

teh doors

ice hockey fan
Nov 15, 2010
I don't think a forward trade, unless Bourque is really in question with his health. Other than the consensus that the team could use a more energetic/tougher upgrade version of Moen/Amrstrong, but that probably will happen in the off season to not mess with the makeup of the team chemistry, no matter what everyone says.

It's about defence, guys I think we're narrowing Klesla as a bonafide and attainable target for this team. Possibly Regehr? Robidas? I don't know.. Bouwmeester would be great but can Bergevin pony up? I wish but Don't think so

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
Sure, if MB can turn water into wine then :handclap: to him I am with you on that. I am not in favour of trading real future pieces for temporary now pieces.

The goal for me is sustainable contender status. Pens are a powerhouse without this trade, they took a step now that MB can't match.

Well the consensus is that Pittsburgh got Iginla for pretty much nothing...so getting a guy like Jagr would cost less in theory...I agree you though, can't trade any great prospects for the short term...but I'm all for trading prospects that we don't consider blue chippers 100%

HatTricK09

Jun 23, 2012
Well the consensus is that Pittsburgh got Iginla for pretty much nothing...so getting a guy like Jagr would cost less in theory...I agree you though, can't trade any great prospects for the short term...but I'm all for trading prospects that we don't consider blue chippers 100%

The Iginla trade:
Iginla was dictating his future, so only a few teams could bid for him instead of an open hunt where his value would have been a lot more

Their GM is Feaster, no need to say more

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Need a tough d-man OR need size on the wing who can intimidate. A Bryan Allen type, a Clowe type, a Bickell type, a Clifford type.

Need another PP QB d-man. Boyle would be nice, but maybe Corvo is more realistic? Giordano maybe?

Could REALLY use another natural scorer like Ryder. Bordering on need. A Vanek type. Stewert would fill 2 needs. Jagr would be fun.

Would be nice to have a heavyweight, not for every game but for some. Boll. Bordeleau.

Habsfannick

Jul 8, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
Need a tough d-man OR need size on the wing who can intimidate. A Bryan Allen type, a Clowe type, a Bickell type, a Clifford type.

Need another PP QB d-man. Boyle would be nice, but maybe Corvo is more realistic? Giordano maybe?

Could REALLY use another natural scorer like Ryder. Bordering on need. A Vanek type. Stewert would fill 2 needs. Jagr would be fun.

Would be nice to have a heavyweight, not for every game but for some. Boll. Bordeleau.

Stewart is the best guy for us but who do we give up?

dreamingofdrouin*

yah but nobody is as Pejorative Slured as feaster, not even neuwindyk.......joe got more back for morrow than feaster got for iggy.......its calgary we have to target....we should be going after giordano....the guy is a stud dman who can help us for years to come and right now...would be such a sweet deal. if thats what iggy cost than giordano should be less
a 2nd and a fringe prospect would do probly do it

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Stewart is the best guy for us but who do we give up?

St Louis is all about team defence. Louis Leblanc is probably our best 2-way prospect and we can easily give him up, he's not really in the plans for the future. Add a few picks and it's enough, he's RFA but unsigned, going to make big money.

Habsfannick

Jul 8, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
St Louis is all about team defence. Louis Leblanc is probably our best 2-way prospect and we can easily give him up, he's not really in the plans for the future. Add a few picks and it's enough, he's RFA but unsigned, going to make big money.

That would be a steal though maybe Leblanc+ Nashville 2nd+???

go_habs_go

Oct 9, 2003
Winnipeg, MB
www.canadiens.com
Anyone know exactly how much cap space the Habs have for the deadline? CapGeek says around $3M. What does that equal out to around TD time?

Also, how PIT can have MORE cap space than us is beyond me. INSANE!

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007

Iginla had a list of 3 teams he was willing to move to. If Jagr sets the same type of conditions he will come equally cheap. But will Montreal be on his list?

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Anyone know exactly how much cap space the Habs have for the deadline? CapGeek says around $3M. What does that equal out to around TD time?

AAV deadline column on capgeek's front page tells you. 15,203,850$.

As for PIT, Shero dumped Michalek's 4 M AND did nothing in terms of additions last summer, that's how.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Why is that insane? They need it so they can sign Letang and Malkin plus Neal is getting a raise.

The funny part is Phillie has no cap space and are near last.

At the deadline we can add 15.2 mil without dropping anybody so cap space is a non issue.

Halifaxhab*

That would be a steal though maybe Leblanc+ Nashville 2nd+???

for Stewart? I'd imagine the Blues would be asking Roster player + Prospect + 1st. He's their leading scorer, point producer and they are in a playoff race.

So maybe we can get him in the summer if money realy was an issue as an RFA he still has value. But if we want to buy the rest of this season from them he will be expensive.

And to whoever may decide to bring this up...don't tell me about other trades or what other players got, he is young, an RFA and doesn't own any kind of movement clause to restrict his GM.

Habsfannick

Jul 8, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
They would need someone who can play for them now. They're not giving up their best forward for Leblanc and picks.

I think it would have to be something like Emelin + Prospect and a 2nd.

If we are chasing down a big top 4 guy or PP guy I'd be okay with that depending on the prospect (basically anyone but beaulieu or tinordi)

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
AAV deadline column on capgeek's front page tells you. 15,203,850$.

As for PIT, Shero dumped Michalek's 4 M AND did nothing in terms of additions last summer, that's how.

They also subbed Staal for Sutter and saved 2 mil there. They signed no real depth players in the off season instead saving their cap space.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
If we are chasing down a big top 4 guy or PP guy I'd be okay with that depending on the prospect (basically anyone but beaulieu or tinordi)

I hope MB stays on his plan but I don't see him trading any top prospects or top 2(round) picks for any rentals.

Maybe a 4th or 5th for a depth player that fills a need...stay at home d-man...tough bottom 6 guy.

The best additions they can make are Prust Bourque and Diaz.

Markowicz

Simple Jacques
Feb 27, 2009
I'm all for Clowe for the playoffs and potentially to re-sign next year. At 30 years old, he's still not that old, and is exactly the type of player we need for this year and the next 3-4 years. A late first round pick is no better than an early second, and we have three 2nd's this draft. I think Bergevin should go for it. The fact that he's having an awful year is to our advantage: we can bid low, and potentially re-sign him for less next year. He's had no major injury to speak of, he's just having a bad year.

Also, we have to keep in mind that at some point, we can't just stockpile picks and prospects. They can't all play for us. Every once in while, dealing futures for a playoff run is not just good idea, but also a necessity in a way.

As far as D is concerned, I'd go for a cheap depth move if its out there, nothing too expensive. Subban , Markov, Emelin and Gorges can handle the bulk of the minutes, we don't need a great D as much as we need a Clowe, IMHO.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
You are right. We should wait another year just to see Markov, Gionta and Plekanec get a year older and suck even more.Plus we all know, that they look at their best when they play a physical 82 games season, instead of a 48' one. :shakehead

Seriously, this year we have no 'major' injuries in our top9 (Bourque will be back same for Prust). On a 82 games season our smallish forwards are never healthy. Plus we are starting to see signs of slowdown to Gionta/Markov. It's time NOW. Not next year. You never heard the proverb: when you see the train, jump on it? Waiting is not the key when you have an opportunity, because you never know what can happen if you wait.

HOCKEYSFUTUREboard is full of people always loving the future. But the future means **** if you never try to win. And now we have a possibility to do it. Well, we're one of the two best team in the East. What do you want more? A season with 0 defeats? It wont happen.

I'm not talking about trading Eller/Galchenyuk etc. Im talking about trading a first round pick, or one of Beaulieu/Ellis/Collberg/Kristo. Look what the Pens gave for Iginla (1st round pick and 2 ****** prospects). Its not destroying the future of their organisation and they have a much better team now.
goes both ways buddy.Galchenyuk,Gallagher,Tinordi,Eller,Subban etc... Will all be much better next year,plus you have the offseason + Free Agency to improve the club where needed without having to overpay at the trade deadline.MB said many times he believes the best way to build a cup contender is through the draft.Dont get me wrong Habs are playing great this year but I seriously don't see us beating the pens or the bruins in the playoffs.

Markowicz

Simple Jacques
Feb 27, 2009
goes both ways buddy.Galchenyuk,Gallagher,Tinordi,Eller,Subban etc... Will all be much better next year,plus you have the offseason + Free Agency to improve the club where needed without having to overpay at the trade deadline.MB said many times he believes the best way to build a cup contender is through the draft.Dont get me wrong Habs are playing great this year but I seriously don't see us beating the pens or the bruins in the playoffs.

I agree with building through the draft, but at same time, losing a late first rounder is not the end of the world. That said, Bergevin will only trade for someone if he thinks he has a good chance of re-signing him next year. I think piucking up Clowe is a good idea because he's having such a bad year, that we could afford him next year. Also, by picking up Clowe, we could easily find someone to trade his rights to for 4th,5th, 6th rounder maybe this July, if we didn't want to sign him ourselves.

FXBrassard

Oct 28, 2011
Such a defetist attitude. A Moore deal will not help....but a Jagr and/or Bouwmeester deal will!

There won't be a much better time to go all in. I'm all for picks and prospects, but you can't just stockpile them and expect to be great. You need to use those picks prospects sometimes for real assets that can help the team now.

2nd in the conference with a healthy team that has lost...what 7 games in regulation and people don't want to "go for it" What? If you're a top 5 team in the league, you do what you can to win the cup. I don't care about Pittsburgh...they can be beaten.

What? Look at our core, our prospects and our cap space for the coming years. This team will only get better or better. I actually think there's not a worst time to go all-in.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

Wait till next season when Malkin is a 10-12 million cap hit

Drive425

Jul 24, 2006
St Louis Du Haha
I agree with building through the draft, but at same time, losing a late first rounder is not the end of the world. That said, Bergevin will only trade for someone if he thinks he has a good chance of re-signing him next year. I think piucking up Clowe is a good idea because he's having such a bad year, that we could afford him next year. Also, by picking up Clowe, we could easily find someone to trade his rights to for 4th,5th, 6th rounder maybe this July, if we didn't want to sign him ourselves.

No, unless we are getting someone back with term or resigning with us burning a 1st round pick is a waste of resources. The 6 picks in the first 3 rounds are very valuable to the build of this teams future.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
I would be open to a deal for Clowe, especially if we could do a sign and trade.

I think it would be key to get him with fellow Newfoundlander on the team too in Ryder. Could be key and re-sign both. Ryder since joining the Habs has played very solid.

I think a line of:

Clowe Plekanec Ryder

That would be a very solid line if you ask me. A bit of everything on it.

I think its good for the return that Iginla got. Lowers some of the market value which was out of hand for the price of Murray.

Iginla got a 1st rounder and 2 prospects. Clowe isn't at the same calibur as Iginla and is struggling this year. I think 2nd round pick + 3rd round pick + Ryan White would be a decent return.

I know Bergevin won't mortgage the future. But if Clowe at 30 years old is signed before the offseason for 3-4 years it will be worth it.

On top of that we need rough dmen. I would like to see if the Habs could get Robidas or Rome out of Dallas, who are locked up passed this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->