Habs on Top: Reconciling the contradictions

Timelord

Stanley Cup polisher
Dec 18, 2011
The Montreal Canadiens have a great team and have a great won/lost record to show for it.

Yet, somewhat bizarrely, the Habs have been mediocre statistically, as is obvious by now, losing a few in embarrassing blowouts and winning many by 1 goal margins or in shoot-outs . On the surface, it seems like an anomaly of chance events, specifically, the Habs are in a sense "lucky" and not wasting any goals or good defensive performances in their losses, but are scoring at just the right moments (by chance) to eke out wins.

There is another aberration, the fact that they rarely score first and many of their wins are desperate comebacks.

But these two, strange yet consistent patterns that are emerging over a long stretch of time make it less likely it is merely a chance distribution of goals.

I think it boils down to coaching and a system which is not working -- at all.

The pattern for a win is to fall behind when the players are fresh and presumably more able to adhere to assignments. After falling behind, they go into scramble mode, the players knowing that, at least, Therrien is going to be more forgiving in allowing them to take risks or play more "creatively," and essentially abandoning the rigid defensive system and game plan which theoretically should have included taking the initial lead at some point.

I'm not a hockey expert, but I can observe the obvious:

- Price has stolen some games, or at least provides the backbone of the defense in wins. This is fine as a goalie is just as much a part of the team as any other player. But Therrien does not coach goaltenders.

- Therrien does not utilize the individual strengths of each player well, rather, he seems to wants all his players to play all the same way, especially the younger players, or else he gives less ice time or outright benches them (Subban, Galchenyuk, Beaulieu.) Subban is the poster boy for this as he seems to have had his wings clipped as of late, rarely leading or helping the rush anymore into the opponents end at even strength.

- His over-reliance on veterans is well-known, having high tolerance for vets' mistakes and almost zero tolerance for rookie errors. This is a toxic atmosphere for rookies trying to gain confidence in their game, while badly needing the experience. Conversely, older players are overused and much more likely to tire over the course of the season (Markov.)

- More generally, his inefficient system seems to require energy levels too high to sustain over many games in a tight schedule. This may be a fault of the system itself or it could be the increased tempo of desperation hockey as a result of the system's failure. This is another possible contributing factor for the blowouts.

All this means, from that the fact that they scramble for wins and still occasionally get totally dissected, is that they win in spite of the coach, not because of him. At best, Therrien has blundered into having a “system†and “game plan†that almost guarantees falling behind in the first period, thus allowing/necessitating that the team scramble brilliantly for the second and third periods to win.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
You are certainly not wrong.
I for one am not convinced this team is fully buying into his game plan.
I also think the young players prefer to play together when possible.
Having to defer to a vet sucks on occasion.

Habs_Apostle

Feb 22, 2004
The Montreal Canadiens have a great team and have a great won/lost record to show for it.

Yet, somewhat bizarrely, the Habs have been mediocre statistically, as is obvious by now, losing a few in embarrassing blowouts and winning many by 1 goal margins or in shoot-outs . On the surface, it seems like an anomaly of chance events, specifically, the Habs are in a sense "lucky" and not wasting any goals or good defensive performances in their losses, but are scoring at just the right moments (by chance) to eke out wins.

There is another aberration, the fact that they rarely score first and many of their wins are desperate comebacks.

But these two, strange yet consistent patterns that are emerging over a long stretch of time make it less likely it is merely a chance distribution of goals.

I think it boils down to coaching and a system which is not working -- at all.

The pattern for a win is to fall behind when the players are fresh and presumably more able to adhere to assignments. After falling behind, they go into scramble mode, the players knowing that, at least, Therrien is going to be more forgiving in allowing them to take risks or play more "creatively," and essentially abandoning the rigid defensive system and game plan which theoretically should have included taking the initial lead at some point.

I'm not a hockey expert, but I can observe the obvious:

- Price has stolen some games, or at least provides the backbone of the defense in wins. This is fine as a goalie is just as much a part of the team as any other player. But Therrien does not coach goaltenders.

- Therrien does not utilize the individual strengths of each player well, rather, he seems to wants all his players to play all the same way, especially the younger players, or else he gives less ice time or outright benches them (Subban, Galchenyuk, Beaulieu.) Subban is the poster boy for this as he seems to have had his wings clipped as of late, rarely leading or helping the rush anymore into the opponents end at even strength.

- His over-reliance on veterans is well-known, having high tolerance for vets' mistakes and almost zero tolerance for rookie errors. This is a toxic atmosphere for rookies trying to gain confidence in their game, while badly needing the experience. Conversely, older players are overused and much more likely to tire over the course of the season (Markov.)

- More generally, his inefficient system seems to require energy levels too high to sustain over many games in a tight schedule. This may be a fault of the system itself or it could be the increased tempo of desperation hockey as a result of the system's failure. This is another possible contributing factor for the blowouts.

All this means, from that the fact that they scramble for wins and still occasionally get totally dissected, is that they win in spite of the coach, not because of him. At best, Therrien has blundered into having a “system†and “game plan†that almost guarantees falling behind in the first period, thus allowing/necessitating that the team scramble brilliantly for the second and third periods to win.

A most interesting and, importantly, highly original hypothesis. Seriously, what hell was MB thinking in extended MT? Complete incompetency! Why for all the world he can't see we are just a coach and a new system away from a Chicago or LA is beyond me.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I haven't checked the stats in recent games, but I think the season so far needs to be divided in two. I am totally satisfied with the way the Habs have played in the last 8-9 games. They deserved almost all the wins during that span.

The first 12-13 games however, the Canadiens just weren't playing well despite the W-L column. I would say those first few games have contributed to the underlying numbers, as the Canadiens were playing bad on most nights.

The question is, which is the real Canadiens? The team who in the last 9 has looked solid in most aspects, or the the team who in the first 12-13 games rope-a-doped most of their wins.

11Goat11

Inside her
Feb 18, 2006
It can be very frustrating watching this team at times, part of me believes Therrien is trying to instill a system that will work better in the playoffs than the regular season. The other part believes I could do a better job coaching...

habitue*

A NHL hockey season is a marathon, not a 100m sprint.

Over analyzing each and every single game is a waste of time. They gonna play some great ones, more good ones, some bad ones and few really crappy ones like the last and the one vs TB at the beginning of the season. They are not machines , but human beings playing a tough, hard, demanding sport. All 20 guys are not in the same shape (physical and mental) for every game.

When they follow the game plan - which they have done better in the last 10 games or so, they are performing better overall as a team. The substraction of Bourque and Moen is also steps in the right direction. Some more roster tweakings are still needed.

EVERY NHL team is following the same path with ups and downs.

Grass is not always greener elsewhere.

Habs_Apostle

Feb 22, 2004
A NHL hockey season is a marathon, not a 100m sprint.

Over analyzing each and every single game is a waste of time. They gonna play some great ones, more good ones, some bad ones and few really crappy one like the last and the one vs TB at the beginning of the season. They are not machines , but human beings playing a tough, hard, demanding sport. All 20 guys are not in the same shape (physical and mental) for every game.

When they follow the game plan - which they have done better in the last 10 games or so, they are performing better overall as a team. The substraction of Bourque and Moen is also steps in the right direction. Some more roster tweakings are still needed.

EVERY NHL team is following the same path with ups and downs.

Grass is not always greener elsewhere.

True, but at least we know it's always browner in Toronto.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
I hope we won't have a meltdown in the second half of the season is all I'm saying. If we truly are this terrible then we have to regress to the mean eventually. Unless... Price becomes godlike.

MathMan

Jan 20, 2006
Montreal's record is not at all reflective of their level of play: not only are they middling-to-weak at even-strength, they have a terrible penalty differential, and they are also weak on the power play and middling on the PK outside of goaltending.

They are, in short, a bad team. Or at best a mediocre-to-middling team. Their goal-differential of 0 points to this fact.

The reasons they are in first are:
- Percentages: their shooting and save percentage are both above average, but in combination, their percentages at both ends of the ice are 5th-best in the league at 5-on-5,
- And, most importantly, a 7-0-1 record in games decided by one goal, which does not even count those where they won by one goal and an empty-netter. This includes a 4-0 record in the shootout.

Unfortunately, of that only the save percentage is likely to be somewhat sustainable. In short, they've been very, very lucky. Montreal's league-leading record is, sadly, well above their quality of play, and the team has to be seen as a paper tiger, and very likely to regress back to a bubble-playoff-team level over the course of the season.

If nothing changes, I would keep my expectations of the Habs' future regular-season and postseason success relatively modest. Mind you, they are not like Colorado or Toronto either; they're "kind-of bad", not "really bad". They are very unlikely to miss the playoffs with that head start, but they're a middling-to-bottom tier team outside of goaltending (and with a roster that certainly does not look one bit like a bottom-tier roster). But going far will be a matter of luck and goaltending, and those very rarely win Cups by themselves. I certainly would not consider them any kind of Stanley Cup contender beyond an unlikely anything-can-happen Cinderella run.

Of course, lucking into so many wins early gives the Habs a perfect buffer to fix their issues without risking falling out of a playoff spot. I don't really expect them to, alas. Even for the front office, it's to easy to say "we're in first place" and be complacent, and more importantly, it's politically difficult to make the sort of radical change that would be required to right this ship while the team is at the top of the standings. And sending Tinordi and Beaulieu to Hamilton in favor of Bryan Allen is not conductive to fixing the problems.

Nynja*

these are legitimate concerns, however it's hard to complain while sitting at #1 in the league standings.

Instead of being #1 in the league with 6 of 7 (or 5 of 6) losses being blowouts and a negative goal differential, we could be #1 in the league with a +20 goal differential and a PP that isnt in the garbage. Instead of being a lucky team atop the mountain, we could be dominant atop the mountain.

And for everyone whos all "BUT LOOK AT DA RECORD", this is the same record we had that year we finished 28th, but on the other side of the spectrum. We stunk, yet had a goal differential of something like -7. As far as goal differential that season went, we were middle of the pack. Instead of winning those close games like we are this year, we were always on the short end of the stick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad