Pre-Game Talk: Habs/Oilers Tomorrow (The Hunt for the Elusive 1 Point Continues)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I will laugh my arse off if the Habs lose both and somehow Calgary wins all of their games.

I don't care about this team anymore. Bergevin and Molson have done the impossible....removed my passion for this team.
If I hated something so much as you do the Montreal Canadiens, it would be ridiculous to subject myself to talking about it daily. Why would someone do this?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Did I hear right McJesus is sitting one of the games?

They'd honestly be stupid to play him and Drai at this point. Their 2nd spot is confirmed. The problem with Edmonton is secondary scoring, so why not try to get the non-stars a bit of momentum and icetime before the playoffs. Or if they play, maybe just have them out on the PP. I know I wouldn’t risk them getting injured.

I expect a boring game if they sit. One team going through the motions, another team scared and playing for a tie. We know how it will play out. McDavid and Draisaitl sit and the Habs are unable to take advantage in a close match.

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
What's the injury status of our players? I recall there being a designated thread in past seasons. Will everyone be good to go for playoffs?

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
How does Merrill go from being +2 with one of the worst teams in the NHL to -9 in 11 games here? No way Kulak should sit for him or Gustafsson.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
What's the injury status of our players? I recall there being a designated thread in past seasons. Will everyone be good to go for playoffs?

The thread still exist.

Most are day-to-day with zero time frame outside of Gallagher.

edit: and looks like Byron might come back tonight. Going by Tatar not looking 100%, probably another guy who's coming back at not 100%...

Reactions: Chadstudsky

RandomTask26

Jan 6, 2020

I love this coach. Constantly changes things after wins, keeps things the same after a loss.

What, no Belzile? :sarcasm:

Looks like Byron is back, so this will officially be the first game with a Quebec born player it seems. Glad Byron is back, though I don’t like that line so much, would rather see

Lekhonen-Evans-Caufield
Byron-Staal-Perry

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
What, no Belzile? :sarcasm:

Looks like Byron is back, so this will officially be the first game with a Quebec born player it seems. Glad Byron is back, though I don’t like that line so much, would rather see

Lekhonen-Evans-Caufield
Byron-Staal-Perry

Yeah that’s for all of the people whining that he just put Belzile in to save face.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016

I love this coach. Constantly changes things after wins, keeps things the same after a loss.

I hope he never coaches our team ever again. Even though it's just a few games, I don't like what he's doing to Caufield. The guy was running on a high, and you give him 2 slowpokes.

Reactions: Habs4Life

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
How does Merrill go from being +2 with one of the worst teams in the NHL to -9 in 11 games here? No way Kulak should sit for him or Gustafsson.

More pressure. Opponent ready to play a game. Merrill has never been very good and i laughed at anyone who posted advance stats to make him look great cause it was that, laughable. He's a 3rd pairing guy and not a particularly great one.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
It's sad when you consider that Austin Matthews has 10 more goals (40) than our 5 centres combined:

Suzuki- 13
Danault- 5
Kotkaniemi- 5
Staal (Buffalo and Montreal combined)- 5
Evans- 2

Total- 30

You don't have to look far to see where the problem still lies on this team. I mean yes, the defence can't move the puck for shit, but our centres haven't scored at all. That has to be pretty much the worst centre production in the league.

All true.

However, as our trash system requires our centers to help the defence to start transition from the defensive zone, it's no shocker they struggle to score. The forwards, specifically our centers, are expected to be a short pass option for our defence. Most offensively-minded teams have their centers higher up in the defensive zone and wingers moving up to the neutral zone once their defence gains possession. This definitely wasn't the case during the CJ era and it is not the case now (center up high). While the system has most to do with it, our defence aren't capable anyways, except for a couple, to transition the play up the ice.

Our centers do need to score, especially when we gain offensive zone control, but if they are busy helping our sad sacked defence most of the time, there isn't a lot they could do especially with a rookie center, a slow center whose lost his talent, another one trying to find his game in the NHL and the 3rd who can't seem to do anything without his two regular wingers. Only Suzuki is contributing but even he struggled for like a month himself.

Last edited:

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
More pressure. Opponent ready to play a game. Merrill has never been very good and i laughed at anyone who posted advance stats to make him look great cause it was that, laughable. He's a 3rd pairing guy and not a particularly great one.
I hope he's not a 3rd pairing guy come the playoffs. Get him a big bad of popcorn.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
It's sad when you consider that Austin Matthews has 10 more goals (40) than our 5 centres combined:

Suzuki- 13
Danault- 5
Kotkaniemi- 5
Staal (Buffalo and Montreal combined)- 5
Evans- 2

Total- 30

You don't have to look far to see where the problem still lies on this team. I mean yes, the defence can't move the puck for shit, but our centres haven't scored at all. That has to be pretty much the worst centre production in the league.
9 years in...............and he has done nothing to get us a true #1 centre.
I will admit, Suzuki could be on his way, but more like a 20 goal 40 assist guy....
Say what you want about Gainey, he was always trying to get talent to come in and score goals......yes Gomez was a mistake, but he was always on the hunt for that centre! Most teams tank, like Edmonton and Torranna.....it worked for them, but we have been mindlessly wondering down the river, on zero planning.....direction you say? More grind...more grind...

MON4NHLTOR4MLB

Oct 3, 2019
So we’re just gonna keep Caufield with the two slowest players and a centre that every time he’s been open for the one timer or a good lane doesn’t see it or pass it? K cool

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I will admit, Suzuki could be on his way, but more like a 20 goal 40 assist guy....
Say what you want about Gainey, he was always trying to get talent to come in and score goals......yes Gomez was a mistake, but he was always on the hunt for that centre! Most teams tank, like Edmonton and Torranna.....it worked for them, but we have been mindlessly wondering down the river, on zero planning.....direction you say? More grind...more grind...

I think Suzuki has more potential then 20 G 40 A. He's only 21 years old. I really do think he can be a point per game player in the next couple of years.

Reactions: BLONG7

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
:huh::huh::rolleyes: Habs had a week+ off during the season because of COVID (too bad we couldn't tell by the way they played on their return, but that's another story), which the leafs didn't benefit from - so there's that.

Are you kidding? They were on covid protocol, they couldn't practice and were under isolation rules. That's not a week of enjoyment that is going to benefit anyone.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Suzuki is on a 19 goals 59 points pace right now as a 21 years old. It would be surprising if it was his ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->