Proposal: Habs offer sheet Mantha

Status
Not open for further replies.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Most agree he is not worth that today. And I don't think the Habs care one bit about Mantha being overpaid. I think we care about our unused cap space more. It's been 3 years with more than $5M in cap space now and if we are conservative, it will be 4 straight years.

Not worried about overpaying Mantha about $2M.

Leafs fans weren't worried about overpaying Nylander by a million until they realized it gave Matthews and Marner all they firepower they needed to get overpaid by two.

(Just kidding, most Leafs fans didn't realize how bad it was until failing to win a playoff series this year. Some still don't realize it)

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Cause we went through 3 seasons in a row with $5M+ in cap space and it likely is 4 straight years after this year. Why? Cause UFA talent like Hall won't sign. It's not rocket science. A hockey market like the Habs with 3 years in a row with $5M in cap space? And some are flipping out overpaying Mantha by $2M :laugh:

Some people are "flipping out" over grossly over paying a player because this transaction doesn't exist in a vacuum. If you hand out an absurd contract to a player that obviously doesn't deserve it, you destroy your internal pay structure.

The moment the Maple Leafs decided to give John Tavares $11 million per season, it was pretty obvious that was going to be the number the agents for Mitch Marner and Auston Matthews were going to use.

Just because you have cap space, doesn't mean you have to spend it stupidly. The Canadiens could have had $15 million in space in each of the last three seasons, that doesn't suddenly make this a logical move.

It's bizarre that you have posted a silly idea, and yet when people tell you they think it's silly, you get hostile and start posting laughing emojis and mocking the responses. You don't seem capable of having your ideas disagreed with despite being in a discussion board where obviously any ideas and suggestions will be discussed.

Speaking of silly, why do you keep mentioning your "strategy" and then telling us you're not going to reveal it? Why on earth do you have a "secret strategy" for the Montreal Canadiens and what's the point of bringing it up if you don't want to talk about it?

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I would sooner have Mantha than Gallagher

And I could see why, but then you lose Gallagher next year, and you're hardly more of a contender than now AND traded away a bunch of picks.

I just don't get the rush to contention when we're in the middle of what looks like a promising rebuild (retool whatever, we got 14 picks and had llottery picks 4/5 years for a reason lol)

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
The best part of all this is that even adding Mantha and losing nothing, MTL still isn't a better team than Boston, Tampa, or Toronto... So that pick next year might be extra lottery odds for Detroit. :laugh:

Let's be honest... Detroit would have the Top odds with their own pick and the bottom odds with Montreal's pick, and we'd get 1OA with Montreal's pick and 4th with ours. (Though I guess that's actually better for us)

Reactions: Guttersniped

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would sooner have Mantha than Gallagher

Agreed. Habs have flexibility with our cap space. And Mantha fits our young core more than Gallagher does. We can flip Gallagher, Tatar, and Domi for futures if we want. Suzuki, KK, Romanov, Caufield, Norlinder, Primeau and others will be on ELC/Bridge deals in the next 5 years.

Weber will be likely gone in 3 more years and Alzner will be also gone by the time we have to pay our young talent. Plus at that point, the cap will be much higher. I understand Mantha would be $2M - $3M overpaid but I'm not that worried about it. The strategy of making an aggressive move like this is the right time for the Habs IMO. If we wait, we end up with more seasons with more than $5M in wasted cap space.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The best part of all this is that even adding Mantha and losing nothing, MTL still isn't a better team than Boston, Tampa, or Toronto... So that pick next year might be extra lottery odds for Detroit. :laugh:

Let's be honest... Detroit would have the Top odds with their own pick and the bottom odds with Montreal's pick, and we'd get 1OA with Montreal's pick and 4th with ours. (Though I guess that's actually better for us)

I think those picks are worth more to the Wings in your rebuild years so if you are happy with that... don't match. That's why I went very high with the offer sheet. I have my own strategy with the Habs so your opinion of the Habs don't factor in with me.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No offense, but your plan is God awful. And that's coming from a guy who thinks Mantha is highly underrated due to the smart folks in the, "hEs nOt eVeN a fIftY pOinT fOrwArD", crowd.

Sure. Habs are my team, not yours. So are you pissed off that you have to match $9M or are you happy with the picks? That's all that matters to you as a Wings fan.

Lots of Habs fans think it's ridiculous as well. My feelings are not hurt. I realize he would be $2M - $3M overpaid but it is his prime years and we need a winger like this for our young centers. I rather not go more seasons with Price and Weber sill effective and we waste $5M+ of cap space. So no, I don't think this is as bad as most are thinking it is

Would you match $8.3M for 5 years or take the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
2 1st round picks a 2nd and 3rd round pick, Pretty sure Yzerman could live with that. But it's not coming to fruition so it's a moot point anyways.

OK sure. That was the plan... an offer you would not match. Your opinion of the Habs to me means zero. And weather it happens or not also means nothing. It's just hockey talk so no sure why others are taking fits about it.

Would you match $8.3M? One less 1st? :sarcasm:

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
And I could see why, but then you lose Gallagher next year, and you're hardly more of a contender than now AND traded away a bunch of picks.

I just don't get the rush to contention when we're in the middle of what looks like a promising rebuild (retool whatever, we got 14 picks and had llottery picks 4/5 years for a reason lol)
I would offer sheet 8.5 . We’d lose a first second and third . Trade domi to a team for next years first . With Mantha our scoring will improve to the point where our pick falls out of the lottery . Maybe the pick from domi falls in the lottery . Yzerman would most likely match however it could make him more inclined to do a deal for Mantha . There is definitely merit to the idea . Any hab fans who think domi is more valuable than Mantha really have to take the homer glasses off .

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I think those picks are worth more to the Wings in your rebuild years so if you are happy with that... don't match. That's why I went very high with the offer sheet. I have my own strategy with the Habs so your opinion of the Habs don't factor in with me.

Right. Your plan is to sign all your young players to bridge contracts until Mantha's money expires.

Including Kotkaniemi, with the famous, "Four year bridge contract", I've heard so much about.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Right. Your plan is to sign all your young players to bridge contracts until Mantha's money expires.

Including Kotkaniemi, with the famous, "Four year bridge contract", I've heard so much about.

Your opinion of what the Habs would do don't factor in. Habs can easily trade Domi, Tatar, and Gallagher for futures if we want or need to. Weber's contract is likely off the books in 3 years. Alzner in 2. And Byron can be moved. Habs don't have cap problems. But you can have your own opinion or laugh at us cause we have Mantha at $9M.

I'll ask again... Would the Wings match $8.3M for 5 years or take the 1st, 2nd, 3rd?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Your opinion of what the Habs would do don't factor in. Habs can easily trade Domi, Tatar, and Gallagher for futures if we want.

I'll ask again... Would the Wings match $9M for 5 years or take the 1st, 2nd, 3rd?

It's not my f***ing opinion, you're the one who said it. :laugh:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's not my f***ing opinion, you're the one who said it. :laugh:

I'll ask again... Would the Wings match $8.3M for 5 years or take the 1st, 2nd, 3rd? I made a typo in the last post you replied to (meant to say $8.3M vs $9M)

Lets drop your criticism on what the Habs would do or what my plan is for the Habs. All that matters to the Wings is do you match or not.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Omg this seriously made my morning! Thanks for this.

I'm surprised Leaf fans and Bruin fans aren't all on here saying how great of a deal it is and how the Habs should definitely consider it.

Reactions: domiwroze and abo9

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I'll ask again... Would the Wings match $8.3M for 5 years or take the 1st, 2nd, 3rd? I made a typo in the last post you replied to (meant to say $8.3M vs $9M)

I'm not Steve Yzerman so my opinion doesn't matter. :thumbu:

The fact that you've evolved from $9.5M to $9M to $8.3M shows how ridiculous this thread was in the first place.

Reactions: Guttersniped

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I would offer sheet 8.5 . We’d lose a first second and third . Trade domi to a team for next years first . With Mantha our scoring will improve to the point where our pick falls out of the lottery . Maybe the pick from domi falls in the lottery . Yzerman would most likely match however it could make him more inclined to do a deal for Mantha . There is definitely merit to the idea . Any hab fans who think domi is more valuable than Mantha really have to take the homer glasses off .

Oh 100% I've never said the opposite, and Mantha is a much nicer fit than Domi. But I would not pay Domi close to $8M either.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

I'm surprised Leaf fans and Bruin fans aren't all on here saying how great of a deal it is and how the Habs should definitely consider it.

I mean, a lot of Leafs fans spent a year trying to tell everybody that Matthews and Marner were fairly paid and their deals weren't going to hurt the team, so it wouldn't surprise me if they genuinely believed this.

Most have come around since their most recent playoff failure, but some actually still think this.

Reactions: A Loyal Hot Dog

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012

Would you trade domi , a 2nd and a 3rd for Mantha ?

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
OK sure. That was the plan... an offer you would not match. Your opinion of the Habs to me means zero. And weather it happens or not also means nothing. It's just hockey talk so no sure why others are taking fits about it.

Would you match $8.3M? One less 1st? :sarcasm:
Need to remember that Bergevin and Yzerman are the best of friends, So the odds of Bergevin even throwing an OS to Detroit is slim to none. Montreal would need to offer sheet Mantha in the $8.5m range for Yzerman to take the picks so that 2 1st a 2nd and 3rd anything less and Yzerman easily matches probably have to be around $9m to $9.5m over 5 seasons for Yzerman to take the picks. So yeah for $8.3m Yzerman would match that rather easily.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I’m not trying to make fun of you, no need for that.......I’m just questioning your logic & motivation. Fairly certain Habs won’t be giving that OS to Mantha after the Aho “OS attempt”.

Sure, it's very possible Bergevin does not go that high. I realize that. Don't you realize this is fantasy talk by fans and 99% of the stuff we talk about don't happen?

You are questioning the logic?

* Habs went 3 seasons now with $5M+ in cap space. Some are thinking $9M for Mantha is a horrible idea. $2M - $3M overpaid when we had $5M+ in wasted cap space for 3 years now.
* Habs have Suzuki, KK, Romanov, Caufield, Norlinder, Primeau on ELC/bridge deals in the next 3-5 years.
* Habs can let go Byron and Tatar if we are forced to.
* Alzner is off the books in 2 years
* Weber likely retires in 3 years when he salary drops to $1M for his age 38 season
* Mantha has Laine numbers in the last 2 years. I think he fits the Habs very well and I'm willing to gamble a bit

Habs don't have cap problems. I would not have any problems overpaying Mantha by $2M - $3M when we need a winger like this and we have the cap space to pull it off. Now is the right time for the Habs to get aggressive. You don't have to agree but I gave you lots of context to support the logic.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Leafs fans weren't worried about overpaying Nylander by a million until they realized it gave Matthews and Marner all they firepower they needed to get overpaid by two.

(Just kidding, most Leafs fans didn't realize how bad it was until failing to win a playoff series this year. Some still don't realize it)

With Marner, you're overpaying a guy who scored 94+ points and who you expect to consistently be a 90+ point winger going forward (he paced for it again this year).
With Matthews - you're overpaying a top 5 asset in the league, a player expected to be a top 5 player in the league in his prime, or close. A potential perennial rocket winner, or at least ~45-50 goal guy.

I agree ideally - Leafs should have negotiated better deals based on their RFA status and not paid as much. But i'd be less upset about overpaying an absolute top player than a non-top player. 9.5M$ for Mantha is just.....insane

Reactions: njx9
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad