Habs Off-Season: Part 1, The Goalies

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I was just thinking about this...
What do we do with Condon?
He's a great backup when he doesn't have to play...

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
A bunch of stats without context doesn't tell much about a goaltender so the article doesn't tell us anything about the goalies we couldn't learn by going on Eliteprospects. Also, you completely forgot Hayden Hawkey so it's not really from top to bottom.

If you sign a veteran goalie for the AHL (or to bump Condon down), who's going to ECHL... Fucale or Lindgren? Both are over that league right now IMO.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I actually think it is very strait forward.

Price is obviously the starter. Condon is the backup. Condon was not as bad as what everyone makes him out to be. If you give him 20 starts a year and can pick and choose which games he starts he is a fine backup.

Have Fucale and Lindgren start in a 50/50 role in the AHL. If one of them can take the ball and run with it then they win the starters job.

Clumsyhab

Feb 22, 2004
Montreal
I was just thinking about this...
What do we do with Condon?
He's a great backup when he doesn't have to play...

Condon is a borderline NHLer. I don't get why people are saying that he did a great job last season. If we had a solid back-up, we would be battling for a playoff spot. I LOL when I heard Ron Fournier says that he is convinced that Condon could be a #1 goalie and other media saying that he's a solid backup. To me, nothing more than a bottom third backup goalie in the league even tho he's a good guy.

I hope Price plays at least 65 games next season.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Condon is a borderline NHLer. I don't get why people are saying that he did a great job last season. If we had a solid back-up, we would be battling for a playoff spot. I LOL when I heard Ron Fournier says that he is convinced that Condon could be a #1 goalie and other media saying that he's a solid backup. To me, he's not even a bottom third 2 goalie in the league even tho he's a good guy.

The Condon we saw before Price was confirmed as out for the year and I'm convinced his team was aware of this, was calm cool and collected. Did the league catch up with him or was he playing over his head to begin with? He did have some solid outings...

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
Condon is a borderline NHLer. I don't get why people are saying that he did a great job last season. If we had a solid back-up, we would be battling for a playoff spot. I LOL when I heard Ron Fournier says that he is convinced that Condon could be a #1 goalie and other media saying that he's a solid backup. To me, he's not even a bottom third 2 goalie in the league even tho he's a good guy.

For a rookie goaltender who has never played more than about 40 games in a season Condon did a fine job. With a reduced role and the additional experience of a full season and some international play he should continue to improve. How many rookie goaltenders come in and stand on their head for a full season.

It is completely ludicrous to say that an experienced backup would have had the team battling for a playoff spot. Any goaltender that would have been good enough to do that would have already had a starting job on another team.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
The start of our off-season series looks at the goaltending depth of the team from top to bottom.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/05/28/montreal-canadiens-off-season-goalies/

Probably the 3rd best goaltender in the system last year after Price and Condon was Pasquale but because of his age and the signing of Fucale, McNiven and Lindgren there will be no place for him.

I don't see the logic in signing someone to replace Ben Scrivens. Where would he play? And if you really feel the team needs someone to fill that role, Pasquale is already better as are almost all goalies who donned the pads at the pro level last year.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Goalie with over 18 games played
Condon
%SV 54th bottom tier back-up
GAA 41th mid-tier back-up

It is well known back-ups numbers gets worse the more game they play (because of match-ups and the capacity to play several game in a row).

I fully expect him to be in the 31-45 tier of goalie next year.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Goalie with over 18 games played
Condon
%SV 54th bottom tier back-up
GAA 41th mid-tier back-up

It is well known back-ups numbers gets worse the more game they play (because of match-ups and the capacity to play several game in a row).

I fully expect him to be in the 31-45 tier of goalie next year.

Is there anything preventing him from being better than those atrocious 25-30 tier tenders? :help:

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
As long as Price can stay healthy, there is no reason to worry

tumblr_nm3l5rqR3x1shopqmo1_500.jpg

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
This is a nothing article that just lists the goalies in the system with their stats last season. As someone else mentioned there is no context around anything. I think they Habs do have some nice options in net and I don't think a veteran addition is really needed at this point in time.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Start the season with Condon as the backup. He's decent when he doesn't have to replace Price. If Price goes down again, then management should wake up and spend the minimal assets required to land a solid starting goalie, rather than quite on the team like they did this past season.

Phozzwald

Oct 16, 2007
Newfoundland
To me, its all about who plays well at camp. I do believe Lindgren does have a shot at taking the back up job from Condon. I liked how he played in the 1 game of action he got but would be better to have a bigger sample size. I'm also not against resigning Eddie Pasquale. Watched him play for the ice caps last year and did play better then Fucale. Fucale showed signs that he could be great but the team was just not that good to be honest. With all the injuries Montreal had and having to make call ups the Ice Caps couldnt keep up. I'd like to see Fucale take the starter role in St. John's backed up by Pasquale. Hoping to see Lindgren take over the back up position to Price, giving the Habs the option of moving Condon.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Serious question...

Do we even know if Price is alright? Is he training or still in rehab? There's not much info out there about his recovery and that's kinda scary.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Condon is a borderline NHLer. I don't get why people are saying that he did a great job last season. If we had a solid back-up, we would be battling for a playoff spot. I LOL when I heard Ron Fournier says that he is convinced that Condon could be a #1 goalie and other media saying that he's a solid backup. To me, nothing more than a bottom third backup goalie in the league even tho he's a good guy.

For the most part, Habs weren't losing because of Condon's personal performance (or even that scrub Scrivens)

We were losing because Price wasn't there to make up for the other under-performing aspect of the team.

The formula need to change, elite goaltending should be something pushing us over the top, not keeping us afloat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad