Habs now worth 1.3 Billion

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
His return is more than 160%, that's only the gain on the asset value. You also have to count the annual profits, which using the Forbes # would net out to around $50 million so that's another 400-500$ million added to the $800 million. There's even more when you factor in the Bell Centre and its contribution to Evenko profits.
And the condos he sold?

Reactions: DAChampion

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
I felt like being generous so I gave likes to a bunch of the people in here who are trying really hard to be witty.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Yeah but Isn't this 20 dollar bills from the cap space savings? The gain in value won't be actual cash until they sell it.

My house don't make annual profits like the Habs do and I don't have any actual money from the value inflation it has gone up in the last 10 years. I won't see this money till I retire and sell in like 25 years lol

Molson calls twenties "fun coupons" (Yes, that's from Wolf of Wall Street)

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Typically, it's been leafs 1, rangers 2, and Habs 3.

I wonder what gave the valuation spike to the rangers this year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Molson already owned 19.9%. He paid 500 mil for 80.1%.
Gillett agrees to sell Canadiens to Molson family | CBC Sports

Correct. $500M for 80.1% (who knows who partnered up with the 3 Molson brothers in this share) and they also got 100% of the Bell center but the annual sponsorship money disappeared. So I do believe Bell has a part of that 80.1 share.

Bell reserves right for regional converge and I think this has something to do with a part of ownership. Out here in Halifax, I get to watch games on both Sportsnet and TSN. I also have to purchase RDS as insurance just in case TSN or Sportsnet don't have the game. I hasn't happened in a while and I also don't mind watching RDS cause they are less anti Montreal. Sometimes I switch from English to RDS cause the english announcers drive me nuts lol.

The other thing to note is the Molson group reserved right to have 1st dibs on re-purchasing the Habs if Gillette decided to sell it. The Molson group came in late and everybody that was interested in buying disappeared

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Typically, it's been leafs 1, rangers 2, and Habs 3.

I wonder what gave the valuation spike to the rangers this year.

I think the Rangers were 1 last year too though? From what I recall, it was the Leafs and then Habs but the Rangers took over in recent years. Not sure of the timing though

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
In 2009 no less....Molson has gotten 160% return on his investment in less than 10 years...

Well according "the rule of seven" if you earn 10% annually on your investment, with compounding it doubles after 7 years. If you earn 7% annually, it doubles after 10 years.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think the Rangers were 1 last year too though? From what I recall, it was the Leafs and then Habs but the Rangers took over in recent years. Not sure of the timing though

Perhaps it's the effect of major renovations in MSG then, providing more cash flow to the club.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Perhaps it's the effect of major renovations in MSG then, providing more cash flow to the club.

Good Point

giphy.gif

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Yeah but Isn't this 20 dollar bills from the cap space savings? The gain in value won't be actual cash until they sell it.

My house don't make annual profits like the Habs do and I don't have any actual money from the value inflation it has gone up in the last 10 years. I won't see this money till I retire and sell in like 25 years lol

That's not how it works for rich people.

Molson can now get loans more easily for his other projects, at lower rates of interest.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Correct. $500M for 80.1% (who knows who partnered up with the 3 Molson brothers in this share) and they also got 100% of the Bell center but the annual sponsorship money disappeared. So I do believe Bell has a part of that 80.1 share.

Bell reserves right for regional converge and I think this has something to do with a part of ownership. Out here in Halifax, I get to watch games on both Sportsnet and TSN. I also have to purchase RDS as insurance just in case TSN or Sportsnet don't have the game. I hasn't happened in a while and I also don't mind watching RDS cause they are less anti Montreal. Sometimes I switch from English to RDS cause the english announcers drive me nuts lol.

The other thing to note is the Molson group reserved right to have 1st dibs on re-purchasing the Habs if Gillette decided to sell it. The Molson group came in late and everybody that was interested in buying disappeared
The arena money disappeared because Gillette cashed it in practically from the start. George was a good owner, don't get me wrong. But he was in it to make money. He made good money with the sale.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad