Habs now worth 1.3 Billion

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I don't know if there was already a thread about this or not, but the 2018 Forbes NHL's Most Valuable Teams came out this week, and the Habs are ranked 3rd in the NHL with a valuation of 1.3 Billion behind the Rangers (1.55 Billion) and the Leafs (1.45 Billion).

Molson must be quite satisfied with his little investment

The NHL’s Most Valuable Teams

money-gif-6

Last edited:
Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Worth much more if the Habs were put on the Market! This is like assessment house value, it would sell much higher than that.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
160% isn't bad for what's basically a toy for him but in terms of investment it's not optimal. The s&p 500 grew about 215% in that same time frame.

It's still a nice investment none the less. The average person would be doing backflips. My condo made 45% in 4 years (sold over asking) and I was ecstatic....and my condo wasn't worth 500 million. ;)

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
160% isn't bad for what's basically a toy for him but in terms of investment it's not optimal. The s&p 500 grew about 215% in that same time frame.

His return is more than 160%, that's only the gain on the asset value. You also have to count the annual profits, which using the Forbes # would net out to around $50 million so that's another 400-500$ million added to the $800 million. There's even more when you factor in the Bell Centre and its contribution to Evenko profits.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
His return is more than 160%, that's only the gain on the asset value. You also have to count the annual profits, which using the Forbes # would net out to around $50 million so that's another 400-500$ million added to the $800 million. There's even more when you factor in the Bell Centre and its contribution to Evenko profits.

Ya i basically used a simple ROI percentage calculation

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Wait till the Habs get a new Arena deal... I'm sure this changes the annual profit and makes things look even better. Bell has not been paying anything since Molson bought the team as far as I understand. Not sure when it expires but I believe it's sooner rather than later.

Interesting read if you haven't read it already... Molson brothers buy Montreal Canadiens for $500M

One thing I did not realize is Serge Savard might even be part owner. Anybody know who the 3 Molson brothers partnered up with? I do know Bell is involved to some degree.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Wait till the Habs get a new Arena deal... I'm sure this changes the annual profit and makes things look even better. Bell has not been paying anything since Molson bought the team as far as I understand. Not sure when it expires but I believe it's sooner rather than later.

Interesting read if you haven't read it already... Molson brothers buy Montreal Canadiens for $500M

One thing I did not realize is Serge Savard might even be part owner. Anybody know who the 3 Molson brothers partnered up with? I do know Bell is involved to some degree.

I know Michael Andlauer had invested 28 million for a small share, but I don't know if he's still a minority owner or not.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I know Michael Andlauer had invested 28 million for a small share, but I don't know if he's still a minority owner or not.

No idea who he is.

It is interesting to think about the board of governors meeting Molson would have. And what they talk about in terms of annual profit expectations and team direction in terms of trying to win a cup. What' matters to them the most?

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
No idea who he is.

It is interesting to think about the board of governors meeting Molson would have. And what they talk about in terms of annual profit expectations and team direction in terms of trying to win a cup. What' matters to them the most?

He was the owner of the Hamilton Bulldogs AHL team and now owner of the Hamilton Bulldogs OHL team

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
It's still a nice investment none the less. The average person would be doing backflips. My condo made 45% in 4 years (sold over asking) and I was ecstatic....and my condo wasn't worth 500 million. ;)

That fact that you were able to sell is a miracle... over value? I doubt it

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
That fact that you were able to sell is a miracle... over value? I doubt it

No the condo market in certain sectors of Montreal is crazy right now. Lots of condos are selling over asking price, especially where we were (Little Italy) and in the Mile End and Plateau area.

Value is subjective. The evaluation was $100,000 less than what I sold it for. The market dictated I put the condo at $20,000 less than what we posted it at and we sold it $35,000 above what we asked for. We had an original product for the sector and it showed as we had 70 visits in 3 days. There were a couple of somewhat comparable products, but in Montreal, a few streets can make a condo worth $25k +/-

Anyways, back to topic. Molson was seen wiping his ass with a twenty this morning.

Last edited:
Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don't know if there was already a thread about this or not, but the 2018 Forbes NHL's Most Valuable Teams came out this week, and the Habs are ranked 3rd in the NHL with a valuation of 1.3 Billion behind the Rangers (1.55 Billion) and the Leafs (1.45 Billion).

Molson must be quite satisfied with his little investment

The NHL’s Most Valuable Teams

money-gif-6

I knew Gillette was selling too early. Despite what he said, he knew he was buying low but thought he was selling high.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Anyways, back to topic. Molson was seen wiping his ass with a twenty this morning.

Yeah but Isn't this 20 dollar bills from the cap space savings? The gain in value won't be actual cash until they sell it.

My house don't make annual profits like the Habs do and I don't have any actual money from the value inflation it has gone up in the last 10 years. I won't see this money till I retire and sell in like 25 years lol

Reactions: FrankMTL

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I knew Gillette was selling too early. Despite what he said, he knew he was buying low but thought he was selling high.

Didn't he and Hicks buy Liverpool and this is the reason why he sold the Habs? What a mess that investment was. Should of just kept the Habs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad