TSN: Habs missed the boat again?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Seems pretty proportionate.... there's more (and better) NCAA players in the league than Q players. you can't really be this salty over an undrafted Q signing :laugh:

And our recent NCAA signing have easily outperformed our Q signings... such a silly thing to be complaining about

Not to mention, the NCAA signings are usually quite a bit older, hence are way closer to a finished product.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
There are talks EVERYWHERE in the league that when a kid gets taken from his hometown team, there's a big story about it. We made the Q and the Quebecers our hometown bosy because there are so little of them anywhere else. Ontario couldn't talk that way as they would have to fill how many teams for that to happen. But we've continuously shown to be more interested in the NCAA than the Q, EVEN when it's time to invite people just to look good. And when we do....well...we strike out.

So don't worry...there are plenty of "the missed the boat in general" debates. But those journalists, well that's their debate 'cause they don't know anything else. So it's one debate amongst other debates more knowledgeable journalists or posters will have. It's Francois Gagnon for pete's sake. Lower your expectations.

Oh don't worry, I didn't expect anything less...I was wondering who was the first of our esteemed media acolytes thatwas going to bring up this ridiculous take

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
No, on that one, I cannot say I knew he'd do what he was doing. But...I'm not the paid professional here who are suppose to see those guys more and have infos we don't have. But no, on that one, I cannot say I knew it. Seemed fine as a junior player.

This is the best I could find from myself as far as an analysis of Fred Gaudreau I made in 2014....I know...hardly a sign that he was going to be a Cup Finalist superstar....but clearly an indication that he was worth a look, something we never did....

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=82847569&postcount=429

I don't think anyone, not even paid professionals, 'missed' out on Frederic Gaudreau.

His talent level + production didn't make him someone worthy of being drafted...and the fact he signed a free agent deal, is not an indication that professional scouts knew something others didn't. There's more of these types of signings that no one knows about, than the one's who actually turn into something worthwhile.

I get he's a hot name right now, but he could be playing in Switzerland this time next year...

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Not sure what they missed here? Guy is 24, other than 9 games this year in which he got 1 assist and now 3 goals in 6 playoff games he has played most of his career in the minors with 184 AHL in which he has averaged a point every second game. Even in the Q he ended up with 134 pts in 195 games, nothing spectacular.

There is a better chance than not that he will not even be on Nashville's opening night roster next year.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
And how is he any different then what we see on here every time a player or coach etc is hired.

Heck just had a post in the MB thread about missing out on Ulf Samulesson.

Any hireing/player that has sucsess will be looked back on as a "miss" for the habs, doubly if they are from QC.

If Cube went on to coach a team next year to win the cup then there will be articles galore about how we missed on Cube.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Why would it be a problem missing a Gaudreau more than it is missing any other good undrafted player?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Why would it be a problem missing a Gaudreau more than it is missing any other good undrafted player?

It would actually have been a serious problem if Gaudreau had a junior career/shown in the Juniors as much as a player like Phil Danault, JG Pageau or even Mark Barberio did.

Of course the players who show that much are... usually drafted.

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Honestly, I like Gagnon and think he's a bright and well informed hockey guy but a loathe these comments so much.

How did we miss the boat exactly? The guy has 1 point in 9 NHL games. He's been johnny in the spot in the finals with 3 goals in 3 games but seriously, what has he proven and how many other teams "missed the boat" with this I drafted player. He makes it sound like he's some stud PPG player who came to the Canadiens tryout was stellar and we turned our back on him ffs. Just because he's from the Q doesn't mean we have to draft him!

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I don't think anyone, not even paid professionals, 'missed' out on Frederic Gaudreau.

His talent level + production didn't make him someone worthy of being drafted...and the fact he signed a free agent deal, is not an indication that professional scouts knew something others didn't. There's more of these types of signings that no one knows about, than the one's who actually turn into something worthwhile.

I get he's a hot name right now, but he could be playing in Switzerland this time next year...

Well...a Preds Q scout thought he was worht it and so was the assistant GM. So if nobody missed out, somebody was right. And I mean, even at the AHL level, they were right to sign him, made that team better. And it would have made our team better and who knows help our kids progress more.

And YES, I will be the first one to say, well the 2nd since you just said it but I thought it first...;), that Gaudreau's job next year is not even secure. Not at all. It will probably be tougher to make the team next year than to play in the Cup Finals. But even just based on his AHL stint, in the end, the Preds Q scout was right....While our Q scouts are right at what?

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Seems pretty proportionate.... there's more (and better) NCAA players in the league than Q players. you can't really be this salty over an undrafted Q signing :laugh:

And our recent NCAA signing have easily outperformed our Q signings... such a silly thing to be complaining about

You have to think that sometimes people do it on purpose to miss the point. Quebec scouts sucks. That's a fact. They haven't provided us anything DESPITE seeing Q players succeed elsewhere.

And what does our NCAA signings outperforming our Q signings? Isn't that the point? How about making better Q signings? Philippe Myers? Gaudreau? Yanni Gourde? Jonathan Audy-Marchessault? Those would look much better than most of our invitees....

I keep saying...improve the overall scouting department. Improve the way you do this. Hire experts by positions instead of experts by location. Or add to it. But while the Q is underscouted, use that to your advantage so that Q kids that goes undrafted woudl be drafted. Or that kids that leave further than they should, wouldn't.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Honest question:

Who would you replace Gaudreau with in our lineup + do you think he'd be the same with the Habs as he has been in his small sample size with one of the best teams in the league?

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Honest question:

Who would you replace Gaudreau with in our lineup + do you think he'd be the same with the Habs as he has been in his small sample size with one of the best teams in the league?

Mitchell, second question is no. SCF heroes don't necessarily perform at the same level for their entire careers.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
It's truly insane how a media-trained and decent enough HF board poster could probably rip most pundits and journalists apart in the hockey world. These guys ****ing suck.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I think a better story and way more relevant was how we missed on Guentzel. Sure he isn't from Quebec, but we took Connor Crisp 6 picks ahead of him.

CONNER CRISP!!!

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Honest question:

Well my honeset response is most of our bottom 6 players. The day that Paul Byron became a permanent fixture in our top 6 is the day that Gaudreau might have very well be able to make it. Great year in the AHL.

And the whole "he wouldn't have made it here" like I keep hearing over and over and over again.....I'm sorry, but if people who keep saying that are Bergevin defenders, I just don't understand. How the heck can people state how 1 or 2 playrs away we are from being great, how can people say how improved we are and how very good we are, and that we won all those divisional championships...and STILL spout the nonsense that THIS or THAT player wouldn't have done it here? Should we just stop acquiring players 'cause nobody would do it here?

If he would have done the AHL season he did for us, we would be ecstatic. Somehow he does that elsewhere, it's not that big of a deal....I know right...the nothing player from the nothing league....

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I think a better story and way more relevant was how we missed on Guentzel. Sure he isn't from Quebec, but we took Connor Crisp 6 picks ahead of him.

CONNER CRISP!!!

Yeah, and I'M ALWAYS there to remind that too. This is a thread about Gaudreau and the Q players. To suggest that I'M solely advocating this is selective reading like it's common around here.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Well, he was teammate with Bournival on the Mem Cup I believe. But barely played because he was very Young.

If that's what he said, well, that's about as lame as his usual contributions. In other words, very lame. The Habs cannot sign every damn player coming from the Q.

I'm not going to argue this specific case because I don't have the facts but it seems very clear that no effort at all is made to get local players. None whatsoever. Not Gaudreau ? Fine. But can we get any of the good ones ? Just one.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
Just about every Stanley Cup winning team has a couple players that come out of nowhere and become instant heroes for a short period of time. They play way above their normal level.

Gilbert Dionne and Paul Dipietro in 93 come to mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->