TSN: Habs missed the boat again?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Habs missed the boat on Frederic Gaudreau.

Please...it was a lame take by Gagnon, where was he all year to talk about Gaudreau?

No one even knew this guy existed 3 weeks ago...

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Please...it was a lame take by Gagnon, where was he all year to talk about Gaudreau?

Well, he was teammate with Bournival on the Mem Cup I believe. But barely played because he was very Young.

If that's what he said, well, that's about as lame as his usual contributions. In other words, very lame. The Habs cannot sign every damn player coming from the Q.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It's such a dumb take...every other morning when I tune into 690 to hear Francois Gagnon's bit, I wonder why the hell they have him on?

Today's a perfect example...so because Gaudreau is from Quebec, the Habs should of signed him as an undrafted free agent?

They're supposed to sign every undrafted player coming out of the Q?

Lord....can't believe this nonsense is still being talked about in 2017

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
As per Francois Gagnon on Rapid Fire on TSN.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/gagnon-habs-missed-the-boat-again-1.772411

Do you agree?

Discuss!

I get what he's trying to do ....but missing the boat?

I mean 9 career regular season games at 24 year old,and scores 3 big goals in 6 games during a cup run...ok ...

Dale Wiese did that for the Habs a few years back(scored big playoff goals) ....

No worries , If Freddy is the next playoff magic man
he'll be UFA soon enough,...lol Habs can sign him then.

Last edited:

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

Lol that is what this is seriously about? Didn't bother playing it after I saw it was Gagnon.

A 24 year old gets 3 points in 6 playoff games after playing in only 9 regular season games and we missed the boat on him.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I mean, if the Habs could finance a Semi-Pro league for 20-to-22 years old in Québec and the Maritimes, and make sure that players signed to that league belonged exclusively to them, they'd do it.

Actually, they can finance such a league, but that wouldn't quite work with the NHL brass, for obvious reasons.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Gaudreau has a nice playoffs run so far and he deserves some praise for stepping up at the right time but he is still far from a sure bet. He could very well be yet another one hit wonder. Saying we missed the boat on him is ridiculous right now.

Still i would like us to do the same when we have injuries. Instead of using some middle age has been we should call kids and give them some games. We do it in meaningless games in the regular season but not in the playoffs or while fighting for a playoffs position. This is good experience without pressure. The kid don't have pressure cause he is replacing an injured player. And this is very good experience for him because the games have meaning.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
It's such a dumb take...every other morning when I tune into 690 to hear Francois Gagnon's bit, I wonder why the hell they have him on?

Today's a perfect example...so because Gaudreau is from Quebec, the Habs should of signed him as an undrafted free agent?

They're supposed to sign every undrafted player coming out of the Q?

Lord....can't believe this nonsense is still being talked about in 2017

Not sure who misses the boat here. Yes they did. First, because they have all sorts of trouble drafting and evaluating players. So yes, the missed the boat. Also, they missed the boat because their scouts for the Q are awful to say the least. So with better scouts, they might have caught him and a few others. So yep, they do miss the boat. They also have that small luxury (I know, the Q doesn't have a ******** of prospect superstars, but there are still very good players out there) to put an emphasize on a league that quite a few teams don't respect.

The only thing it took for the Preds to be interested in Gaudreau was a Q scout loving him....and 1 visit from Paul Fenton.

So whether EVERYBODY else missed the boat is NOT in play here. So to feel better, we can say that everybody else did too. But as Habs fans, we can safely say that they did miss the boat. And probalby even moreso 'cause at this point of his career, Gaudreau could have been seen as a piece to add to a farm team. Like we've been doing with tons of other players....but that RARELY translate into anything. Especially not up front.

So yeah, Habs missed the boat with that example and tons of others. We suck at invitiation and while I did agree at the time with the Habs to sign him, we invite and sign guys like Philippe Lefebvre.....

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Not sure who misses the boat here. Yes they did. First, because they have all sorts of trouble drafting and evaluating players. So yes, the missed the boat. Also, they missed the boat because their scouts for the Q are awful to say the least. So with better scouts, they might have caught him and a few others. So yep, they do miss the boat. They also have that small luxury (I know, the Q doesn't have a ******** of prospect superstars, but there are still very good players out there) to put an emphasize on a league that quite a few teams don't respect.

The only thing it took for the Preds to be interested in Gaudreau was a Q scout loving him....and 1 visit from Paul Fenton.

So whether EVERYBODY else missed the boat is NOT in play here. So to feel better, we can say that everybody else did too. But as Habs fans, we can safely say that they did miss the boat. And probalby even moreso 'cause at this point of his career, Gaudreau could have been seen as a piece to add to a farm team. Like we've been doing with tons of other players....but that RARELY translate into anything. Especially not up front.

So yeah, Habs missed the boat with that example and tons of others. We suck at invitiation and while I did agree at the time with the Habs to sign him, we invite and sign guys like Philippe Lefebvre.....

...C'mon.... You saw Gaudreau in the Q and he never really shown anything that remotely hinted at a future in the NHL...
(And I think his NHL deal is actually up this summer, I think).

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Sorry, I don't buy the argument that the Habs missed out on Frederic Gaudreau...

Just because he's born in Quebec, does not mean he's bequeathed to the Habs as a birth right and that the Habs shunned him.

It's a ridiculous take...

If Francois Gagnon really wanted to say the Habs 'missed the boat again'.

He should of started with Filip Forsberg...

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Sorry, I don't buy the argument that the Habs missed out on Frederic Gaudreau...

Just because he's born in Quebec, does not mean he's bequeathed to the Habs as a birth right and that the Habs shunned him.

There are talks EVERYWHERE in the league that when a kid gets taken from his hometown team, there's a big story about it. We made the Q and the Quebecers our hometown bosy because there are so little of them anywhere else. Ontario couldn't talk that way as they would have to fill how many teams for that to happen. But we've continuously shown to be more interested in the NCAA than the Q, EVEN when it's time to invite people just to look good. And when we do....well...we strike out.

So don't worry...there are plenty of "the missed the boat in general" debates. But those journalists, well that's their debate 'cause they don't know anything else. So it's one debate amongst other debates more knowledgeable journalists or posters will have. It's Francois Gagnon for pete's sake. Lower your expectations.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

The media in Montreal are a strange crew...;)

The Habs have missed the boat with their drafting for years now, but this?? Really?

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
Gagnon is still going on about missing out on Giroux. No real point getting involved in his article.

There were other teams who missed the boat on Giroux.

Like someone posted Gaudreau wasn't even talked about until about a week ago.

Gagnon just has an issue with every management team that has been with the Habs for the longest time now. Call it reporting , call it whining, or call it adding fuel to the fire of this management team while he knows a lot of fans aren't happy with the Habs lately.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
...C'mon.... You saw Gaudreau in the Q and he never really shown anything that remotely hinted at a future in the NHL...
(And I think his NHL deal is actually up this summer, I think).

No, on that one, I cannot say I knew he'd do what he was doing. But...I'm not the paid professional here who are suppose to see those guys more and have infos we don't have. But no, on that one, I cannot say I knew it. Seemed fine as a junior player.

This is the best I could find from myself as far as an analysis of Fred Gaudreau I made in 2014....I know...hardly a sign that he was going to be a Cup Finalist superstar....but clearly an indication that he was worth a look, something we never did....

And Frédérick Gaudreau is buying himself a pass to a NHL camp too with his year and his playoffs so far.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=82847569&postcount=429

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Gagnon is still going on about missing out on Giroux. No real point getting involved in his article.

There were other teams who missed the boat on Giroux.

Like someone posted Gaudreau wasn't even talked about until about a week ago.

Gagnon just has an issue with every management team that has been with the Habs for the longest time now. Calling it reporting calling it whining or call it adding fuel to the fire of this management team while he knows a lot of fans aren't happy with the Habs lately.

There's a point going on about missing Giroux because he had shown he was really something special/was in the backyard/Gagnon was in Outaouais at that time I believe.

Gaudreau is... like, a completely different animal. We're talking about a player that was A FEW notches below Mikael Bournival as a junior.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
No, on that one, I cannot say I knew he'd do what he was doing. But...I'm not the paid professional here who are suppose to see those guys more and have infos we don't have. But no, on that one, I cannot say I knew it. Seemed fine as a junior player.

This is the best I could find from myself as far as an analysis of Fred Gaudreau I made in 2014....I know...hardly a sign that he was going to be a Cup Finalist superstar....but clearly an indication that he was worth a look, something we never did....

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=82847569&postcount=429

But they just can't take a look at everyone either.
I mean, if you're asking me : "Did the Habs miss on something while not inviting Alexandre Alain", my answer would be "Probably not".

And we're talking about a player who was, pretty much at all relevant times, a better junior player. Same position (Center), same handedness (R). I can't really come up with a player in the same age-range than Gaudreau that we might have been interested in (well, there's Pageau that we apparently traded up to draft but didn't end up drafting - and it's apples to oranges, as we're wondering about undrafted players)

Who did we invite from the Q that season? Micelli?

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
But they just can't take a look at everyone either.
I mean, if you're asking me : "Did the Habs miss on something while not inviting Alexandre Alain", my answer would be "Probably not".

And we're talking about a player who was, pretty much at all relevant times, a better junior player. Same position (Center), same handedness (R). I can't really come up with a player in the same age-range than Gaudreau that we might have been interested in (well, there's Pageau that we apparently traded up to draft but didn't end up drafting - and it's apples to oranges, as we're wondering about undrafted players)

Who did we invite from the Q that season? Micelli?

Fiore, Fortier (and not sign him...wow.), Nicolas Poulin. 3 out of 16. Freakin joke. And don't worry, it's not because we invited world beaters instead...

How many NCAA related players? 5.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Bon match!........he's a tool and anyone eating this crap is looking for an excuse to pile.....Gaudreau, gimme a break.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Fiore, Fortier (and not sign him...wow.), Nicolas Poulin. 3 out of 16. Freakin joke. And don't worry, it's not because we invited world beaters instead...

How many NCAA related players? 5.

Seems pretty proportionate.... there's more (and better) NCAA players in the league than Q players. you can't really be this salty over an undrafted Q signing :laugh:

And our recent NCAA signing have easily outperformed our Q signings... such a silly thing to be complaining about

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->