Habs make Yannick St-Pierre (Draft Dynasty YouTube Channel) a video scout

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
A pro scout usually does 2 or 3 kids at the same time in a game. But of course, probably no more then 5-ish games a week.

If this is an addition, fine, but it can never be a replacement. At least not yet.

BTW....Julien was behind the bench at that time and it was interesting to see him glancing at a player who just screwed up. Some players hamed up their "i f*** up", but I doubt he bought it. Komisarek was cursing himself on the bench, so he knew he pouched the play...but still did the same thing a few shifts later. How do you get that from a video?

Just saying...

It's an additional tool for scouting purposes. It can be used multiple ways, and supplements the traditional scouting methods, rather than replace them.

Having said that, this type of scouting may temporarily take a heightened sense of importance with the covid panedemic.

Of course they won't solely rely on video to evaluate a player... Just like teams don't solely evaluate a player based on their interviews.

This tool can be very useful in developing efficiencies within the scouting department if used properly.

Reactions: Toene and Fenris

Suzuki2017

Jun 26, 2013
Habs just hires Draft Dynasty, you probably seen or should see his scouting reports on YouTube. Knowledgeable and fun Guy.

Congrats to him!!

Andrew Zadarnowski (@AZadarski) Tweeted:
Along with the hire of Ben Shutron as amateur scout for Western Canada, they have also added Yannick St-Pierre (Draft Dynasty) as “Video Scout”, highlighting the unique challenge the team is faced with preparing for the 2021 NHL Entry Draft.
#GoHabsGo

A Loyal Dog

Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
As long as this means we can draft better forwards, I'm all for it.

But...

PeskyIdleHuia-size_restricted.gif

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
My most go-to channel for draft eligible players. Yannick does great work and I'm happy the Habs recruited him.

Although I'm wondering what a video scout does. Is he the one who puts together videos for Timmins and his draft team?
He told me he's doing some amateur scouting as well as watching some video on free agents. Watches players and provides info to the staff.

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
Congratulations Draft Dynasty! I have subbbed his channel almost from the beginning, I thought he made good vids. I suggested he also point out what the player needs to improve. He then added that to his vids. Great to see hard work paying off.

Reactions: David Suzuki

habsfan92

Jun 5, 2005
winnipeg
How dare you point out obvious flaws in our drafting. We'll hire you to silence you. Timmins is secretly a huge fan of the Leafs.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Come back Yannick, we need your videos! You can earn more on YouTube than with the Canadians!

Very doubtful he did.

Only 10kish subscriber and under 10k views for many videos was probably not a huge income.

10k view per day means around 7-11k a year. He would need at least 60k views a day to make a scout salary.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Very doubtful he did.

Only 10kish subscriber and under 10k views for many videos was probably not a huge income.

10k view per day means around 7-11k a year. He would need at least 60k views a day to make a scout salary.

I think he could have eventually got those views in another year if he kept at it. Maybe he will give his Canadian fans profiles and highlights of their draftees... that would be pretty cool.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I think he could have eventually got those views in another year if he kept at it. Maybe he will give his Canadian fans profiles and highlights of their draftees... that would be pretty cool.

Incredibly doubtful. Most of his videos got 10k views or less in a year or more. If he posted let's say twice per week, that would require each of his videos to acquire 180k views in a short period of time to keep up with the 60k/day. That's his 16 last videos combined into one.

He did get very high views on his WJC highlights video, but that's not the kind of video you can make often enough to make it work.
Even his habs prospect videos generates a low amount of views compared to what is needed to make significant money.

Did he make money? Probably, but he makes a lot more money as a Habs scout than he ever would on youtube doing prospects videos and highlights.

Reactions: Kojo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->