Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to the Flames in embarrassing fashion.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
...why does this line always come up??...why is it automatic that anyone that speaks up about "the Quebecois thing" is a xenophobe or a hater??...we all know that for decades, there was an anti-Quebecois bias in the NHL and it was ridiculous and wrong on soo many levels...and that it no longer exists, hasn't for quite some time; there are Francophone coaches, players, staff, media, etc. all over the NHL, hell, all over all walks of hockey life now...the only place anything like this still exists is in Montreal and it's still ridiculous and wrong; so why is it OK for this bias to exist for Quebecois players/coaches/management??...I've been a Habs fan for almost half a century, have bled bleu, blanc, et rouge my entire life...why does me questioning this ridiculous bias make me want the Habs to lose or make me a xenophobe??...
No, you're not xenophobe. Not you or anyone I can name in particular, I don't pay attention who said this. You give good examples the league hire many quebecers around the league.
It's just that some posters says things like hiring the best candidate on a certain tone, followed by some frustrated comments and then it looks like some hate. It's a feeling that it looks like some hate.
Personally I don't care but I know having an unilingual coach or GM would make waves in the province. That would make some nationalists debaters take this to a higher level and the debate would be a distraction for the team. This is what I think but I could be wrong. I'm sure if that anglophone coach or gm brings the SC, the quebecers would be happy but bringing the SC with 32 teams is almost impossible. Having said that, maybe in ten years the situation could be different, or maybe some fast learning programs could make an anglophone speak french pretty fast. Robinson and Gainey learned french without those advanced softwares.

Reactions: BigDaddyLurch

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I personally don't get how we can have so many passion-less players on this team. How have they even made it this far in professional sports without the fire it takes to overcome adversity. These guys fold every year it seems. Even Suzuki is super passive, his game and personality. Where is the hunger, the fire...to accept defeat so easily...and Weber? that guy hasn't been inspiring to anyone it would seem since he got here, Price another monotone personality...Drouin, Armia...all in the same mold personality wise...Byron...all soft spoken guys. We have like 1 guy that has that drive and you can see it...Gally and honestly sometime Danault (he gets pissed sometimes). This is hockey man....a contact sport-how can we have assembled so many bystanders? Get involved or go home.
This is a good post. Where are the angry guys? Do we have a player in the mold of Messier?
We have Gallagher and then who? Danault when he is pissed as you mention.
Too many soft spoken players, personality hidden in a oyster. Looks like this team have to meet the high society correctness of upper Outremont, but they don't watch hockey.

This is a full contact rude sport and we have players that looks and talk like tennis players.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
all 3 of those are still very mediocre playdrivers at this stage of their careers.

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher works because Gallagher is a good fit as a playdriver with them. But even they are not a powerhouse offensive line. KK and Suzuki are just mediocre at driving play at their current young ages.
Ya we don’t have superstars but if those 3 players are going for their lines, we can compete.

Reactions: 26Mats

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Somewhat, but I think it's a combination....the D may be built for da playoff, but we may not even get there. Bergevin has been here for 9 years, and we are still a bubble team......nuff said.

This D is not built for anything. I’m not sure why we think the refs putting their whistles away somewhat will amount to anything with this group. Any team scouting the Habs which they no longer have to do given the number of games we’ve played them. Can clearly see we are unable to deal with a decent forecheck and or players in our grills. The playoffs won’t affect a team’s ability to forecheck.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We all know you listen a lot Marineno and Nilan. Lol. You like them. Re-lol. My two best are Laraque-Gonzo. Too bad I can't tune them where I live. I can survive with l'Antichambre, the debaters are professionals paid by a serious broadcaster.

It's not like here where haters are free to trow insults and get likes. You are one of the rare intelligent debater with some culture and respect from others. But some intelligent posters here have left the building.

Thanks for the kind words. I think we’re no different from any online community — you can probably find cross sections based on the criteria you mentioned. The key is to focus on those who provide meaningful content and can do so with a modicum of respect.

I find hating for the sake of hating is petty and counter-productive. However, I also find that those who have become negative about certain players or management types, are mostly doing it out of frustration. They need to vent and this place provides an outlet.

It ‘s generally not personal and whenever it’s not, I think there is room for it. I just take it for what it is. Some fans are tired of excuses and certain players not being held to account, so they lash out. We see it a lot in GDTs and I mostly see it as a form of intended hyperbole and a source of entertainment.

Our fans are smart, as a general rule — they know their stuff. You’re one of those guys who is constantly plugged in and tapped into several sources. People like you help generate quality content and interesting debate. And since I’m a media fan, I always enjoy comments about who is saying what and whether it’s defensible.

I think we still have those knowledgeable fans here — I just tend to focus more heavily on those who are selfless and generous with their time and who can disagree without throwing an insult. Those types of posters are plentiful here — all we have to do is give them more attention.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Ya we don’t have superstars but if those 3 players are going for their lines, we can compete.

Even without a bonafide superstar, I'd like a Radulov level playmaker. I would have taken a chance on Hall to see if he can be that. But Hall wanted to go to a team where there were already stars. He said he didn't want to be the focal point.

I'm hoping Cole can already help a line - say KK's with Toffoli. I'd try to get the Drouin-Suzuki duo going with Gallagher. Anderson is fast and can drive the net with Tatar and Danault.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
The problem is with last nights line up we have,

Suzuki, Toffoli, armia, Perry and Staal, for forwards who are horribly slow. 5 out of 12 forwards can’t be that slow

back end, outside of romanov and kulak, slow. Can’t have 4 d man that slow

That’s half of your roster that are horribly slow.
no wonder we have terrible puck possession through the neutral zone and struggle getting the puck out of our end.

evans needs to be in the line up. Gallagher back will help. Then you only have 3 that are slow. Caufield coming up whether you agree with it or not is probably coming. So that’s now only 2 out of 12 that are slow.

I don’t know merril and Gustafsons speed but one or maybe both we need to see if they can help.

and hell give weal or poehling a shot. Cause Staal is 100% done

Reactions: Redux91

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You should have Drouin grow facial hair and longer hair as well while the loading sign keeps circling round and round. It would be even more accurate.

Thx for the suggestion. I made that a while ago but you’re right, it needs an update.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
DD the clueless marble mouth has shown me enough to say he is no where near an nhl coach but he may be able to salvage a career with those suit jackets as a cheesey strip club doorman.:laugh:

Seriously underrated post. :laugh:

Reactions: PhysicX

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The TSN690 guys just brought up the last time Staal got traded at the deadline from the Canes to the NYR and how he looked like he just didn't give a shit, looked awful and it seemed like he was done while playing with the NYR.

Right now it's looking like it's Deja vu all over again with this guy. This time though with him being a few years older now it does seem like he's completely done now but we'll see..

Probably even more daunting for Staal now with COVID and not being able to see his family.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Weber
Perry
Staaled
Edmundson
Suzuki
Toffoli
A third of our lineup, none of which are fleet of foot and all of them take up a big chunk of ice time.

Indeed and we don’t have enough speed/talent quotient to surround all those players. Toffoli has to go back with KK and Drouin. Tatar should go with Suzuki and Anderson Armia Danault and Byron should be a shutdown line and Perry Evans and Lehk should tread water. Perry to play situational Ozone over Any winger not cutting it and obviously PP.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I personally don't get how we can have so many passion-less players on this team. How have they even made it this far in professional sports without the fire it takes to overcome adversity. These guys fold every year it seems. Even Suzuki is super passive, his game and personality. Where is the hunger, the fire...to accept defeat so easily...and Weber? that guy hasn't been inspiring to anyone it would seem since he got here, Price another monotone personality...Drouin, Armia...all in the same mold personality wise...Byron...all soft spoken guys. We have like 1 guy that has that drive and you can see it...Gally and honestly sometime Danault (he gets pissed sometimes). This is hockey man....a contact sport-how can we have assembled so many bystanders? Get involved or go home.

Death by 1000 intangibles.

Reactions: Miller Time

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
lol. That's your best case scenario? Are you a Habs fan?

Best case scenario for me is:

1. We make playoffs.
2. We beat Toronto in round 1 (lol at leafs out in round 1 again)
3. We beat Edmonton in round 2 (McDrai have been horrible against us this year)
4. We match up vs Boston or Pittsburgh in round 3 - who we always do good against in playoffs - and win
5. We make it to the finals - and Carey Price has an MVP like performance, and we beat a team for the cup
You are a fly weight. The league says enough is enough and gives the Habs one pick off of each franchise. Nobody gets protected and we load up and go on a 10 year run. Now that is a best case scenario. And the great part is it is just as possible as yours.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You should have Drouin grow facial hair and longer hair as well while the loading sign keeps circling round and round. It would be even more accurate.

I would have loved to execute it as you suggest but I don't have the shooping ability to overlap two images in motion.

I have however, updated the image that is loading to better represent what Drouin looks like now.

L9wK15O.gif

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
My issue with Dom right now is that he needs to handle the condensed schedule better. You have a roster with a few older players who make Douglas Murray look fast. You can't play them consistently like younger players and expect them to be useful.

What needs to happen is a rotation of players in and out of the lineup to keep the lines fresh and players rested. Callup some players from Laval and rotate them in for guys like Weber, Staal and Perry. It gives deserving rookies some ice time and keeps our aging vets rested.

What is going to happen at this rate is our vets wont be very effective down the stretch or the playoffs (which defeats the purpose of having them).

Reactions: Archijerej

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
do you really think we need another G prospect?

with Price/Allen signed long term... then Primeau/McNiven/Dichow/Dobes... feels like we've got more than enough pro/prospect depth to not spend a 1st on one

If we rebuild Price is gone, then you bring in Primeau slowly with Allen, then you trade Allen.

All the rest are not on the radar really. We would need some real competition for Primeau.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
The same players Bergevin acquired and bragged about.
And let's call a spade a spade. Players are not as thick or stunned as Bergevin. They don't tell themselves the team us better than it is
They know what we know.
All the competition hase more skill , better youth, and better vets on their rosters. It wares on them.
Like every year the Canadiens suck eggs in the last month when teams get better, have gelled, and the hockey is tougher.
Nothing new hear. This season has been going on for 6 long years.

Fact is every Gm in Canadiens history was doing better than Bergevin is .....when they were fired.
I've been watching Rags games because I have 4 of them in my pool. They literally have 8 players that are or will soon be better than any player Habs have. Always liked Rags, even in the 70's. If I have a second favorite team it is them. I'm caling a cup for them in 2 years. Yes NY is a prefereed destination for UFA, but they took advantage of high drafts also. Unreal scoring talent.

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I've been watching Rags games because I have 4 of them in my pool. They literally have 8 players that are or will soon be better than any player Habs have. Always liked Rags, even in the 70's. If I have a second favorite team it is them. I'm caling a cup for them in 2 years. Yes NY is a prefereed destination for UFA, but they took advantage of high drafts also. Unreal scoring talent.
Dont they look good ! I like watching that division most of all.
In the North division the Rags would be battling for first. Instead they are making a late push for fourth and final play off spot. Bad start cost them (and Panarin absence)
Was switching from Pens Flyers to Bruins Islanders last night. Both games with a play off pace and feel. While Rags shut out Devils.
But I agree. The Rags are about to kick the door in as heavy contenders.

Mean while the Habs are still biding time putting off firing an incompetent GM, then have to blow it up, then begin a rebuild. All predicted right here by many of us years ago.

You think your Rags can pull it off and sneak into that fourth spot in the final month?

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
My issue with Dom right now is that he needs to handle the condensed schedule better. You have a roster with a few older players who make Douglas Murray look fast. You can't play them consistently like younger players and expect them to be useful.

What needs to happen is a rotation of players in and out of the lineup to keep the lines fresh and players rested. Callup some players from Laval and rotate them in for guys like Weber, Staal and Perry. It gives deserving rookies some ice time and keeps our aging vets rested.

What is going to happen at this rate is our vets wont be very effective down the stretch or the playoffs (which defeats the purpose of having them).
Team goes out if first round under any scenario.

Would love to see Price eliminate the Leafs in the first round but this aint 2015.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Dont they look good ! I like watching that division most of all.
In the North division the Rags would be battling for first. Instead they are making a late push for fourth and final play off spot. Bad start cost them (and Panarin absence)
Was switching from Pens Flyers to Bruins Islanders last night. Both games with a play off pace and feel. While Rags shut out Devils.
But I agree. The Rags are about to kick the door in as heavy contenders.

Mean while the Habs are still biding time putting off firing an incompetent GM, then have to blow it up, then begin a rebuild. All predicted right here by many of us years ago.

You think your Rags can pull it off and sneak into that fourth spot in the final month?

NY tanked publicly the year we should have. Many of us said it then and given the two strong drafts that followed we were never close to being wrong. But look we can still doggie paddle!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad