Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to Leafs.......again

Status
Not open for further replies.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
There have been a few fines for tripping before. Although I don’t think Edmundson should have been fined for his trip.

These are some weak fines considering Ive seen worse trips in Edmondson's case. Im not sure about the other fines but I have no faith in the league to make sensible disciplinary decisions.

Reactions: Max2

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Tatar, Armia w ELC contracts in Caufield & Poehling
You do not plan to replace these guys with rookies. That's a horrible plan. Those kids need to be looked at as add-ons not replacements.
Maybe Poe for Armia isn't so bad but Tatar is a 60pts guy, you shouldn't look to Caufield to provide this level of production.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The difference I see with the Leafs now is defensively. They have been able to score forever but now they can lock it down, even with average goaltending.

Unless I mssed it, the Habs don`t have someome to specifically work with the young centres. One defensive zone draw last night and that was the game. I know the Leafs had Manny Malhotra working with their centres.

Thought the Habs played well overall last night and still lost. The margin for error in the playoffs is usually small. To have any chance, believe they will need to win game one (as they did against the Pens last summer) and build off of that. Believe they will need all hands on deck to have a chance, including Danault who was missed last night.

Leafs have their easiest road to the cup this season. I don't think they'd be as high during a normal season. They're pretty much just facing PO bubble teams or worse.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
You do not plan to replace these guys with rookies. That's a horrible plan. Those kids need to be looked at as add-ons not replacements.
Maybe Poe for Armia isn't so bad but Tatar is a 60pts guy, you shouldn't look to Caufield to provide this level of production.
Caufield should be able to net 35-40-pts, especially with his expected PP TOI.

Suzuki + KK should be able to net an additional 25-points between them relative to this year, based on continued growth.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Its funny like... I GET not having Caufield on the ice when youre UP 1 goal and need to protect the lead for the final 2 minutes...

But DOWN 1 goal? final 2 minutes? You DONT send the kid out there at ALL?

This is why this coach CANNOT stay, what a MORON.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Caufield should be able to net 35-40-pts, especially with his expected PP TOI.

Suzuki + KK should be able to net an additional 25-points between them relative to this year, based on continued growth.

Development is not linear. We know this.

KK and Suzuki should improve as they age, surely, but we don't know just how much better they'll actually become.
If that's how we plan, it's the perfect recipe to have a sub-par season again.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

With this way of thinking tho , according to you we HAVE to sign 30 year olds who are losing their zip and NEVER let any rookies ever have a shot..?
If you truly honest to god think Tatar is still a "60 point guy" and they resign his soft push over ass passed 30, were in BIIIIIIG trouble bud, of COURSE id rather try Caufield than HIM at 5 f***in million or MORE bucks

Reactions: dnl4ever

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Development is not linear. We know this.

KK and Suzuki should improve as they age, surely, but we don't know just how much better they'll actually become.
If that's how we plan, it's the perfect recipe to have a sub-par season again.
There is also the expansion draft factor, and what potential opportunities that presents given the flat cap....there will be a plethora of opportunities this off-season due to the many variables vs previous off-seasons

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Leafs have their easiest road to the cup this season. I don't think they'd be as high during a normal season. They're pretty much just facing PO bubble teams or worse.
It's true. If they were in the division with Tampa and Boston, now Florida would be easier to gauge them. If Tampa, Vegas/Colorado, Pittsburgh/Washington make the final four and they do as well, there will be plenty of competition. Those teams have a lot of playoff experience and the Leafs still have yet to win a playoff series since 2004.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If I'd had to find a fine that big every time I'd had a bad trip, the early 90s would have bankrupted me.

And I'm not talking hockey.

Man, I wish you’d pepper your posts with some standard UK expressions — I love that stuff.

Reactions: Walrus26

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
With this way of thinking tho , according to you we HAVE to sign 30 year olds who are losing their zip and NEVER let any rookies ever have a shot..?
If you truly honest to god think Tatar is still a "60 point guy" and they resign his soft push over ass passed 30, were in BIIIIIIG trouble bud, of COURSE id rather try Caufield than HIM at 5 f***in million or MORE bucks

Tatar scored 58pts and 61pts, this year he's on a 53pt pace. It's not about him being soft or whatever you want to say, it's about the production. I don't care if we re-sign him or not, but we should look to improve and add, not just replace.
The point is to compete, not just rearrange deck chairs. At this stage, it's a complete crapshoot. We don't know how much Caufield should produce yet.
So no, I don't want us to go into next season with this being our game plan.

With Seattle coming into the mix, there should be even more opportunities, just as there was last year due to Covid/flat cap.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
There is also the expansion draft factor, and what potential opportunities that presents given the flat cap....there will be a plethora of opportunities this off-season due to the many variables vs previous off-seasons

Yes, that's why I don't want us to just bet on kids having big developmental leaps forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->