Post-Game Talk: Habs lose nail-biter to Sens in OT, 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
If all you want is entertainment, go to your local rink and watch a midget team play for free,

in the NHL the goal is to win the cup,

Has MB really demoralized everybody to the point where "As long as its an entertaining team, it's okay?" :rolleyes:
Dude, chill! Look at the smiley at the end! *sigh*

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Oh okay so we get a mulligan for '12 & '16. And what happens if we waste the next "more than one tank season"? Do we go with more than one tank season plus two or three more?

Sorry, I don't mean this as a personal attack but that's a loser's mentality.

2012 draft pick was not wasted. We most probably got an excellent two way center in Domi. And we have Suzuki in the prospect pipeline that could be a #1 or #2. As for the 2016 pick, I was one of the biggest detractors of that trade and even I don't think it's a complete loss. Drouin could become a decent second line winger.

Down the middle - our biggest hole over the years - we could have a choice of Kotkaniemi, Domi, Suzuki, Danault and Poehling. And I'm not even mentioning the other centers in our prospect pool.

Our defence we'll have Mete, Juulsen, Brook, Reilly and Fleury.

The future looks good especially with the change in coaching philosophy and the different style of play that entails. I see this team as a contender in two years. With your approach if we're lucky we may be a contender in four or five years. In four or five years Price and Weber will be past due date and then you're going have to tank somemore to find studs to replace them. Your plan is a vicious cycle of tanking so we can get elite players.

Or to put it another way. How many top line centers or center prospects did we have last year at this time? Answer not a one. A year later we have three: Koko, Domi and Suzuki. With the right planning a team can be turned around on a dime.
Oh my lord, what is with everyone these days? Chill! Look at the smiley! Why does everyone take everything so literally and seriously yet conveniently forget the smiley which conveys tone? Jeese...do we seriously need to start labelling or surrounding everything as ###THE FOLLOWING IS A JOKE #### or *** THE FOLLOWING IS WHERE I'M BEING SARCASTIC *** etc. etc.? Fine...

#### ACTUAL SERIOUS NOTE FOLLOWING #### On a serious note, our future looks good but I think we are still one or two superstar skilled players back from being a contender. We are trending towards a very good team, not necessarily a 'great/awesome' team. And note, the smiley or lack thereof at the end. #### ACTUAL SERIOUS NOTE ENDING ####

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
How many soft goals has Price allowed so far this season? I count 2. The first against L.A. and the one the other night against Ottawa. Can you tell me any goalie that hasn't let in a soft goal this year? I'm okay with his play so far this year. It hasn't been elite but it has been very good.

How can you be satisfied with his play?

Price is paid to be an elite goalie, he is not paid to be "Very Good"

We could get "Very Good" with a 4-5 million dollar goalie,

Niemi has been "Very Good" also, how much is he making?

if all you want is a goalie that is "Very good" then you don't pay a goalie 10.5 million dollars a season,

if i am the owner and i am paying a goalie 10.5 freakin million a season, I am FULLY EXPECTING that goalie to be a top 3 goalie in the league.....not just to be "very good"

You think Edmonton owners would be happy if McDavid got 60 points this season?

No, McDavid is paid to produce, and he is paid to be an elite scorer, that is his JOB, he is not paid to just be "very good"

you don't pay McDavid that kind of money and then be happy if he performs like RNH because its "very good"

Last edited by a moderator:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Oh my lord, what is with everyone these days? Chill! Look at the smiley! Why does everyone take everything so literally and seriously yet conveniently forget the smiley which conveys tone? Jeese...do we seriously need to start labelling or surrounding everything as ###THE FOLLOWING IS A JOKE #### or *** THE FOLLOWING IS WHERE I'M BEING SARCASTIC *** etc. etc.? Fine...

#### ACTUAL SERIOUS NOTE FOLLOWING #### On a serious note, our future looks good but I think we are still one or two superstar skilled players back from being a contender. We are trending towards a very good team, not necessarily a 'great/awesome' team. And note, the smiley or lack thereof at the end. #### ACTUAL SERIOUS NOTE ENDING ####
I didn't read that smiley as you being sarcastic.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
The problem as far as Price goes is that in the games where he let in "soft" goals, one completely demoralized the team (first goal of the season on the first shot of the season at home...) and the second one allowed the senators to come back.

If Price is supposed to be stealing a few games for a team that will not be scoring all the time, he needs to do that.

He's been far from terrible, but he's not really made the difference in any game this season.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Sure, if he stops that Stone shot in OT and we go and score, we're singing a whole different tune. It was stoppable too.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

The amount of upper case characters and hashtags in your post offends me. I've reported your post and contacted the ACLU.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011

if all you want is a goalie that is "Very good" then you don't pay a goalie 10.5 million dollars a season,

if i am the owner and i am paying a goalie 10.5 freakin million a season, I am FULLY EXPECTING that goalie to be a top 3 goalie in the league.....not just to be "very good"

No, McDavid is paid to produce, and he is paid to be an elite scorer, that is his JOB, he is not paid to just be "very good"

you don't pay McDavid that kind of money and then be happy if he performs like RNH because its "very good"
I can’t believe this isn’t a common consensus.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
It's one of many pieces.
Hudon is that one momentum changer we have.
One could argue that it is unfortunate that an otherwise unremarkable forward has this quality and I would agree.
You got upset the last time I called you out on this, but I'm sorry, this claim demands some sort of fact-checking. What measurable numbers, what visible performance, what evidence, what anything backs up the claim that Hudon is "Essential", or "the one momentum changer we have"?

If you want a fair discussion, you simply cannot cite invisible mental qualities that nobody except you can see. That's not a discussion. That's a seance.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

The question though is how you judge whether he's top-3 or very good or whatever. A forward isn't nearly as dependent on his team for his production. So a top forward can score a bunch even on a bad team. A goalie's stats on the other hand are highly dependent on the team in front. A team giving up tons of shots from the slot, lots of odd man rushes will ruin any goalies SV% or GAA.

There is also the argument that goalies are paid for their consistency more so then anything else. Especially with goalies you often see a goalie be a vezina candidate one year, and a nobody the next year. Or amazing one game, and terrible the next. So you pay the guys like Price/Lundqvist the big bucks because you know they give the team the chance to win every game/year. Whereas a guy like Fleury might be amazing one year/game, and sink you the next.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It's one of many pieces.
Hudon is that one momentum changer we have.
One could argue that it is unfortunate that an otherwise unremarkable forward has this quality and I would agree.
I disagree. Hudon is a nothing player. Changes pretty much nothing unless he's having one special game, which he rarely does.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
A goalie's stats on the other hand are highly dependent on the team in front. A team giving up tons of shots from the slot, lots of odd man rushes will ruin any goalies SV% or GAA.

So what you are saying is Price needs a great team in front of him to be great himself, that's just excuses and nonsense.

If that is the case, Price is not an elite goalie at all, he is simply an average goalie, a great team will make any average goalie look great.

Take Hasek for one random example and the sorry sack Buffalo teams he dragged into and through the playoffs, he didn't need a great team in front of him to be an elite goalie, he was great all by himself. Price is nowhere remotely close to that level.

Also, why is Niemi playing so well behind this team? What is your excuse or reasoning for that?

There is also the argument that goalies are paid for their consistency more so then anything else. Especially with goalies you often see a goalie be a vezina candidate one year, and a nobody the next year. Or amazing one game, and terrible the next. So you pay the guys like Price/Lundqvist the big bucks because you know they give the team the chance to win every game/year. Whereas a guy like Fleury might be amazing one year/game, and sink you the next.

I don't see what you are trying to point out here, Price has been very inconsistent his entire career, with the exception of one year

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
So what you are saying is Price needs a great team in front of him to be great himself, that's just excuses and nonsense.

If that is the case, Price is not an elite goalie at all, he is simply an average goalie, a great team will make any average goalie look great.

No I'm saying it's a bad idea to judge a goalie based on the traditional stats like SV%, GAA, Wins, as they are very team specific.

Take Hasek for one random example and the sorry sack Buffalo teams he dragged into and through the playoffs, he didn't need a great team in front of him to be an elite goalie, he was great all by himself. Price is nowhere remotely close to that level.

So on the one hand in order to be worth his contract Price has to a top-3 goalie, but on the other hand you want him to be on the same level as one of if not the greatest goalies of all time. That doesn't add up, no goalie today is close to prime Hasek.

And for the record Price has dragged some sorry sack Montreal teams to the playoffs as well.

Also, why is Niemi playing so well behind this team? What is your excuse or reasoning for that?

For the same reason last years vezina trophy winner had virtually identical stats to his backup. It's a lot easier for a backup goalie to put up better numbers.

I don't see what you are trying to point out here, Price has been very inconsistent his entire career, with the exception of one year

How so? He was a stud as a rookie/sophmore, had one bad year, then rebounded and was a top goalie for 7 straight years before having a bad year last year.

Price has played 10 seasons (Not counting this year or the year he got injured and only played 12 games), and has been great in 8 of them. He received Vezina voting in 6 of those, and Hart votes in 4 of them.

If you want to see what inconsistent goalies look like try watching other teams.

Reactions: Deebs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->