Post-Game Talk: Habs lose first of back-to-back against Calgary. No excuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Too many people here could never handle that , nor the fan base,nor the media..........that's why it will never happen,........it's a stupid Habs pride thing.......it's what they need to do but but never will unfortunately......kinda got use to mediocrity and irrelevancy for a while now
Without a full rebuild, this will be the outcome year after year

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Prices long and impregnable contract is what kills it, not how much it is. Montreal would have traded his ass by now.
And yes, I do hope Caufield works out. Good God I really do hope so...
Yeah, I agree on the length. That is killer.

The whole purpose of signing a player to that contract is to enjoy the prime years and of course we undermined it with bad teams. Which is why it’s so puzzling as to why it was done to begin with. No way Price would’ve signed had he known what was coming.

Reactions: Miller Time

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Players are at their peak at around 24. Tanking doesn’t make sense for us right now. ESP when we’ve got a bunch of good wingers and Price.

Waiting until Suzuki is 28 means we’ve missed his prime. We should be trying to exploit those prime years with h to sir low contracts. Bang for the buck is how you win. That extra cap space allows you to add vets. Then they move on as the young stars get bigger deals.

I don't think we'll have any choice in the matter. Barring any miracle trade or signing of elite talent on D, it will only get worst as normal divisions come back, or at the very least interdivisional play, while Weber, Petry and Price will keep getting older and broken down. Plus, we're bound to lose good forwards through FA on top of it all.

Last edited:

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
. "best goalie we've had".............Maybe .......maybe 4th best I'd give ya!
. "best goalie we've had".............Maybe .......maybe 4th best I'd give ya!
Dryden played in front of hall of famers. Roy even played with some damn good players
Price has played on a team once that had a ppg guy..
And I believe it was in his rookie year. Price was never given any weapons up front to succeed
I remember Bergevin saying he sleeps good at night knowing he has price. This isn’t bashing Dryden or Roy. Amazing goalies. But had so many better players.

Last edited:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Dryden played in front of hall of famers. Roy even played with some damn good players
And I believe it was in his rookie year. Price was never given any weapons up front to succeed
I remember Bergevin saying he sleeps good at night knowing he has price. This isn’t bashing Dryden or Roy. Amazing goalies. But had so many better players.

indeed...

Price playing for team canada was almost unbeatable.

Give him Savard, Robinson, Lapointe on D and Lafleur, Gainey, Shutt et. up front... or the 90's/00's devils or Avs... and he'd be in the top 5 all time conversation easily.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
indeed...

Give him Savard, Robinson, Lapointe on D and Lafleur, Gainey, Shutt et. up front... or the 90's/00's devils or Avs... and he'd be in the top 5 all time conversation easily.
This wasn’t a diss on Roy and Dryden. Great goalies. But holy Jesus , Prices supporting cast has not been even close to them

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't think we'll have any choice in the matter. Barring any miracle trade or signing of elite talent on D, it will only get worst as normal divisions come back, or at the very least interdivisional play, while Weber, Petry and Price will keep getting older and broken down. Plus, we're bound to lose good forwards through FA on top of it all.
We will not tank. We’d just remain a bubble team.

indeed...

Lundqvist too.

Unfortunately for Price he had injuries at terrible times. 2014 was brutal. 2016 was likely another Hart nom year... 2013 he got hurt while we had the lead in game six.

He’s been highly durable but when the injuries came, they came at mostly horrible times.

widowmaker

Jun 21, 2009
MB
Dryden and Roy elevated their game come playoff time.......Roy single handedly won his 2 cups here........Price does not elevate his game come playoff time......His claim to fame as a hab will be his longevity and having most regular season wins because of it, nothing more.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Dryden and Roy elevated their game come playoff time.......Roy single handedly won his 2 cups here........Price does not elevate his game come playoff time......His claim to fame as a hab will be his longevity and having most regular season wins because of it, nothing more.
Ok man. No one is saying that Roy and Dryden aren’t great. They are HOF players
But are you really gonna argue that that price has had the supporting cast?

widowmaker

Jun 21, 2009
MB
Ok man. No one is saying that Roy and Dryden aren’t great. They are HOF players
But are you really gonna argue that that price has had the supporting cast?
True, he's had no supporting cast and that's obvious.......just commenting he's not, nor ever will he be Habs best goalie.....He's proven he needs a dream team in front of him to win and where he's not depended on....example with his Olympic victory.........just pointing out he's not a big game player.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
...and yet he's also got a good shot at the HHoF...tells you how much this Organization depended on him and nothing else...

I think there is a very good chance he gets in. What really helps him is his international record. Gold at the Olympics, World Juniors, and World Cup. He was 16-0 in those 3 tournaments with 5 shutouts. He only let in 17 goals in those 16 games on 448 total shots (.962 sv%)

Last edited:

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
The way the team is constructed, it's not going to finish dead last. It would be a team that would miss the playoffs and draft maybe 10th. Not worth it.

Anderson is pacing for 30 and TT is pacing for 40. Pencil them both in for 25 each next year. Anything more consider it a bonus. Then there's Gallagher and CC. Tatar can come back on a cheap short deal if he wants to.
The Caps had a far more expensive group and they still blew it up to get OV or Malkin. Expelling a bunch of B-listers is not a big loss.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Doesn't make sense at this stage. Get a blueline.
"Get a blueline" realistically translates into drafting someone in the first or second round and waiting until they are 22-23 for them to reach their peak powers.

It only bolsters the case to pump up the likes of Anderson or Toffoli and then trade them away to a sucker.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
"Get a blueline" realistically translates into drafting someone in the first or second round and waiting until they are 22-23 for them to reach their peak powers.
So... wait five years to develop a blueline? No. We'd be wasting prime years of our young players now when we could be exploiting the cheap contracts they'll be on.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
So... wait five years to develop a blueline? No. We'd be wasting prime years of our young players now when we could be exploiting the cheap contracts they'll be on.
Going to have to bite that bullet and hope a Doughty lands in our lap. Because assets that are traded for usually are already used up or have little time left.

Price is a good goalie, but definitely no Hasek. Flick him off the team and start a new era.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Going to have to bite that bullet and hope a Doughty lands in our lap. Because assets that are traded for usually are already used up or have little time left.

Price is a good goalie, but definitely no Hasek. Flick him off the team and start a new era.
A Doughty won't land in our lap.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
We will not tank. We’d just remain a bubble team.

Lundqvist too.

Unfortunately for Price he had injuries at terrible times. 2014 was brutal. 2016 was likely another Hart nom year... 2013 he got hurt while we had the lead in game six.

He’s been highly durable but when the injuries came, they came at mostly horrible times.

I bet all my vcash that they won't be a bubble team in the normal divisions.

That defense is too horrid and will only get worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad