Post-Game Talk: Habs lose first of back-to-back against Calgary. No excuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
So is the only way to get Evans back, is if we break Staal's leg?

Hypothetically, if a stick were to suddenly appear out of nowhere, hitting Staal and causing him to fall down a few steps and be injured, then yes, Evans can be called up as an injury replacement.

Otherwise, If Staal were to be assigned to the taxi squad (or anyone else really), Evans can be recalled but that is it for the season as he’s the last call up allowed.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
That's fine. We need to suck the next few years. If in 5 years we have these young players all contributing, plus KK and Suzuki and Poehling all between 25-27, plus Primeau who would be 26, plus Caufield and Ylonen (who'll be 25 and 26) and a few of our draft picks in the next 3 years (especially if they're high picks) on the team, plus a few good vets (Gallagher and Anderson) that will be a decent start.

Get Bouchard on board right away to get this team ready to compete in 5 years.
Players are at their peak at around 24. Tanking doesn’t make sense for us right now. ESP when we’ve got a bunch of good wingers and Price.

Waiting until Suzuki is 28 means we’ve missed his prime. We should be trying to exploit those prime years with h to sir low contracts. Bang for the buck is how you win. That extra cap space allows you to add vets. Then they move on as the young stars get bigger deals.

Reactions: Tuggy

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I have no problem saying it's getting close to the Houle era. Houle had his defense army up until the very end too. What was funny is day -1 of Houle being fired the RDS forum was full of "Houle is not that bad he did good things it's not his fault Baron was injured" then day +1 of Houle being fired the RDS forum was full of "Houle is bad the Turgeon trade was awful".

We need to learn from this and not replace Bergevin with someone that simply gets the job because of where they were born unless of course, they are very qualified to do the job. If we don't change this way of thinking, it will be more of the same.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We need to learn from this and not replace Bergevin with someone that simply gets the job because of where they were born unless of course, they are very qualified to do the job. If we don't change this way of thinking, it will be more of the same.
Imagine if we’d hired Brisebois instead.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Imagine if we’d hired Brisebois instead.
I guess that we'll never know because that ship has sailed. I think that MB feels like he is a celebrity, he does commercials and all sorts of media things that I don't see any other GM do in the NHL. It's like it has to be about him, do you get that sense? His suits, the weightlifting, his changing looks, it's all about him and his image. He traded PK because he was supposedly all about building his brand because he was trying to be bigger than the team right? He did this and for the last 4 years it has mostly been about him.

The media loves him, mostly because their privileges depend on it but you get what I am saying? He doesn't have the slightest clue how to build a good hockey team and he has given us 9 years of material that proves it. It has been one big Marc reality show in my opinion.

Dhaemon

Oct 20, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
As for Price, it's been done to death. You are just flat out wrong there. You complain about how terrible this team is and yet Price has managed to get us to within striking distance of a playoff spot the past two seasons. He's the only reason we didn't finish dead last both those years.

Which once again underscores how badly this team has been run. We give him a huge deal then put crap in front of him. He's good enough to stop us from getting top picks but not good enough to get us to the playoffs.

Listen, ever since 1993, the Montreal Canadiens head office, fans etc, believed that they didn't need high end scorers as long as they had Patrick Roy behind the pipes. and when it wasn't Roy, it was supposed to be Jocelyn Thibault, then it was supposed to be José Théodore and then finally Carey Price(And at some point they had hope for Zach Fucale). The Canadiens Owners, GM and coaches and yes, even the fans believed that they could get themselves another Patrick Roy and be a defensive minded team who would wear out the opponents offense and beat them with their second and third lines doing that stupid "dump the puck in strategy" because they haven't had a decent 40+ goal scorer since Stéphane Richer.

I'm no super hockey analysis analytics person by any means, but I've watched hockey since the 80's and been a Habs fan since the beginning.
Every since Roy won the cup, the demand for high goal scorers in Montreal started to dwindle. The habs first liners in the 90's did not have to be better at scoring than their opponents. All they had to do was let Guy Carbonneau, etc (Who was a center for God's sake) focus on defense and Roy wear them down and jump on them with their second and third lines. and do that stupid dump the puck in strategy.

Its like the Habs lost the spirit to even attempt to get themselves a high scorer, they kept their "Super Goalie" mindset and they couldn't get out of it.

I want Montreal head office to want another Guy Lafleur, Maurice Richard, Stéphane Richer and stop hoping for a super goalie.

It frustrates me to no end.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What's worse than Bergevin. Uneducated WITH zero hockey background or experience? The pastor of the Polish church across the street?

Bergevin must be one heck of a salesman for being able to win so many of his hockey trades and having such on long leash within the organization. Because other than that aspect, he's been dog shit.

Either Bergevin is a heck of a salesman or his ownership counterparts are severely judgment impaired.

Or maybe, both sides are fools and it still ends up into the type of inaction that still ends up profiting Bergevin.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We can't even use Caulfield tonight unless we switch Primeau for Lindgren.

MB has mismanaged this situation to a degree that is firable on its own.

Fireable by any other org. of course.

Or by any org. adhering to the most basic, sound hockey and business practices.

Bergevin’s repeated blunders have exposed this org. as one ripe for a recurring clown pounding (to use a WTKism), so long as this ownership group continues to mandate Geoff to act on their behalf, in a hockey capacity.

Reactions: Miller Time

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Hypothetically, if a stick were to suddenly appear out of nowhere, hitting Staal and causing him to fall down a few steps and be injured, then yes, Evans can be called up as an injury replacement.

Otherwise, If Staal were to be assigned to the taxi squad (or anyone else really), Evans can be recalled but that is it for the season as he’s the last call up allowed.

Wow, awesome asset management.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Listen, ever since 1993, the Montreal Canadiens head office, fans etc, believed that they didn't need high end scorers as long as they had Patrick Roy behind the pipes. and when it wasn't Roy, it was supposed to be Jocelyn Thibault, then it was supposed to be José Théodore and then finally Carey Price(And at some point they had hope for Zach Fucale). The Canadiens Owners, GM and coaches and yes, even the fans believed that they could get themselves another Patrick Roy and be a defensive minded team who would wear out the opponents offense and beat them with their second and third lines doing that stupid "dump the puck in strategy" because they haven't had a decent 40+ goal scorer since Stéphane Richer.

I'm no super hockey analysis analytics person by any means, but I've watched hockey since the 80's and been a Habs fan since the beginning.
Every since Roy won the cup, the demand for high goal scorers in Montreal started to dwindle. The habs first liners in the 90's did not have to be better at scoring than their opponents. All they had to do was let Guy Carbonneau, etc (Who was a center for God's sake) focus on defense and Roy wear them down and jump on them with their second and third lines. and do that stupid dump the puck in strategy.

Its like the Habs lost the spirit to even attempt to get themselves a high scorer, they kept their "Super Goalie" mindset and they couldn't get out of it.

I want Montreal head office to want another Guy Lafleur, Maurice Richard, Stéphane Richer and stop hoping for a super goalie.

It shouldn’t be one or the other. Just because you have Dryden doesn’t mean you can’t have Lafleur. Just because you have Richard it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t want Plante.

You want both.

Reactions: peate and austin316

Dhaemon

Oct 20, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
It shouldn’t be one or the other. Just because you have Dryden doesn’t mean you can’t have Lafleur. Just because you have Richard it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t want Plante.

You want both.

Oh true enough, love to have both, but that contract they gave Price to keep him in Montreal was way too top heavy... :(

widowmaker

Jun 21, 2009
MB
A full rebuild can be done at anytime
Gallagher, Tofolli and Anderson are all gonna fetch you 1st round picks plus
Don’t re-sign the UFAs. Trade Petry for a 1st as well
The team would be horrendous for a few years. That would be GREAT
It would be so bad it would force Weber and price in to retirement. Veterans like these 2 won’t want to rebuild.
This is up to Molson and not Bergevin. A good hockey man would blow this up in the summertime and have a few bad years for future success
The habs are not even close to being contenders with this roster. As a fan i say burn it down. You’ll have 1st round picks galore. And tons of cap space in a few year when needed
Too many people here could never handle that , nor the fan base,nor the media..........that's why it will never happen,........it's a stupid Habs pride thing.......it's what they need to do but but never will unfortunately......kinda got use to mediocrity and irrelevancy for a while now

Crusher117

Feb 2, 2013
Montreal
Until Gally comes back, separate Tatar and Danault. Gally carries that line.
I'd like to see.

Tatar Suzuki Anderson
Toffoli KK Caufield

As our top 6 until the playoffs.

What was the point of getting Gusta if we ****Ed up our cap and only play him 7 mins...

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

widowmaker

Jun 21, 2009
MB
OEL said Vancouver or Boston. Last summer. Plus what huge premium do you wanna add to get him?
they wanted demko. Canucks said no. So you wanna give up Caufield ?? No thx. Hamilton is not signing in Canada let alone Montreal. And check my posts. I love price. Been a great Hab. Maybe the best goalie we’ve had but he’s was wasted
. "best goalie we've had".............Maybe .......maybe 4th best I'd give ya!

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
Until Gally comes back, separate Tatar and Danault. Gally carries that line.
I'd like to see.

Tatar Suzuki Anderson
Toffoli KK Caufield

As our top 6 until the playoffs.

What was the point of getting Gusta if we ****Ed up our cap and only play him 7 mins...

Would love to see those lines, but this team is married to Danault playing head to head with other top lines even though team success eludes them year after year after year.

widowmaker

Jun 21, 2009
MB

This is the truest statement I've read ever in this forum ........my views exactly ............ Its became the identity of the Habs to win with good defence and good goalie leading the charge.....win 2-1 every game

Reactions: Redux91 and Dhaemon

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Oh true enough, love to have both, but that contract they gave Price to keep him in Montreal was way too top heavy... :(
No it wasn't.

We gave it to him and then we had 10 mil in OPEN cap space for two years. We could've gotten two really good blueliners for that or one superstar. The cap had nothing to do with anything. We simply felt that we could cheap out on Karl Alzner and everything would be okay. It doesn't work that way.

Price can take mediocre teams to first place finishes. But he can't make bad teams good. He can only make them mediocre. And that's what we've seen.

We've had terrible teams for years now. Price has been good enough to get us close to a playoff spot but that's about it. So we paid him, then pulled the rug out. The result has been that he's kept us good enough to just miss the playoffs while we haven't been bad enough to get top picks. Worst of both worlds.

Fortunately, we may have lucked out with Caufield. We'll see on that.
. "best goalie we've had".............Maybe .......maybe 4th best I'd give ya!
We have wasted him. Horrible situation.

Imagine him behind the powerhouse clubs in the 70s or even the clubs in the 80s. Superstar player who has a huge impact. But we surrounded him with trash. It's tragic.

I really hope CC is what we all hope he could be. Hopefully we don't waste his talents too. Man, I'd love to see a Hab at the top of the goal scoring list for a change.

Last edited:

Dhaemon

Oct 20, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
No it wasn't.

We gave it to him and then we had 10 mil in OPEN cap space for two years. We could've gotten two really good blueliners for that or one superstar. The cap had nothing to do with anything. We simply felt that we could cheap out on Karl Alzner and everything would be okay. It doesn't work that way.

Price can take mediocre teams to first place finishes. But he can't make bad teams good. He can only make them mediocre. And that's what we've seen.

We've had terrible teams for years now. Price has been good enough to get us close to a playoff spot but that's about it. So we paid him, then pulled the rug out. The result has been that he's kept us good enough to just miss the playoffs while we haven't been bad enough to get top picks. Worst of both worlds.

Fortunately, we may have lucked out with Caufield. We'll see on that.

Prices long and impregnable contract is what kills it, not how much it is. Montreal would have traded his ass by now.
And yes, I do hope Caufield works out. Good God I really do hope so...

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I have no problem saying it's getting close to the Houle era. Houle had his defense army up until the very end too. What was funny is day -1 of Houle being fired the RDS forum was full of "Houle is not that bad he did good things it's not his fault Baron was injured" then day +1 of Houle being fired the RDS forum was full of "Houle is bad the Turgeon trade was awful".

It should only be referred to as: the cesspool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->