Post-Game Talk: Habs lose again to the Jets

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Only two games this week ? Wtf I heard the schedule was supposed to be hard lmao, they literally play a normal schedule.

Did they do anything today, no practice?

Otherwise, they have Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday off next week. All three games next week are at home.

As good an opportunity as Ducharme is going to get to make inroads on implementing his system, whatever Dan0-premised variation he may have in mind. :sarcasm:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
A problem now but maybe a solution in a few months when MB is shown the door. There is no way he survives this season if it is yet another failure.

Geoff is completely unpredictable. We do know he's slow as molasses when comes time to make significant decisions. You'll remember how it was the case with Skeletor.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
They worry me in the head to head matchups. Where a team can really make hay.

We aren’t a sure thing for the playoffs by any means. I think Edmonton and Winnipeg will distance themselves from us and Calgary will end up being a dog fight unless we continue to just fall. Then potentially even Vancouver could be in the race.

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
Was I dreaming or did I hear them say on tv last night that if Gallagher's goal at the end of the 1st Winnipeg game wasn't called goaltender interference julien would still be coach?

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
We played a decent road game, limiting an opponent with a great offence to a low scoring chance number.

Faceoffs are still a problem though.
Even though we were better in special unit faceoffs, the only regulation goal we conceded was a direct result of a faceoff lost on the pk.

You could even say that the ot goal was also the result of a lost faceoff.

Our offence is seriously missing elite shooters and it was apparent once again.

Still it was a better performance than I expected.

Reactions: Tuggy and sheed36

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Even more incentive to stay out of the penalty box but it seems to me, so many penalties were improperly called.

yep. It’s a special teams league.
If you’re losing the ST game, it’s tough to make that up 5v5.

when habs play the leafs, they can be playing well, but take a penalty.... then you get the feeling it’s game over.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The 4 Habs centers so far this season have a combined 9 goals scored between the 4 of them with Suzuki having scored 5 of these goals himself. There are currently 11 centers in the NHL who have scored 9 goals or more themselves.

MB gambled on going with Danault and 3 very young centers and it hasn't worked so far and it's a huge problem right now.

The issue was Bergevin coming out pretty cocky and saying they can win playing any style. He put a lot of expectations by saying that.
There were discussions about his additions too. Identifying a back up as a big priority was bizarre because how we played in front of Price was the problem. Doesn't matter who the back up is as long as the team has big holes in front, it will struggle.
Then there was Edmundson, that was a redundant pick up. It did not identify an area of need. It's pretty much an attempt a Alzner type of signing. Big stay at home Dman.
They relied on Romanov to bring in some mobility and movement but they probably overrated his readiness level.

They know Suzuki-KK are young, but with a decent progression, they thought the depth would be sufficient to counter some of the lapses.

It was a misevaluation of their team. It's not just them either. A lot of people here were talking about the Habs like we were golden at center. I expect better from our management though.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
40+ shots and just one goal to show for.

New age offense people!

And in the gimmick OT they lost... again. Only this time they didn't even touch the puck FFS.

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Was I dreaming or did I hear them say on tv last night that if Gallagher's goal at the end of the 1st Winnipeg game wasn't called goaltender interference julien would still be coach?

Well, nobody gets fired after a win. It probably would have extended his leash, but who knows by how much.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
We played a decent road game, limiting an opponent with a great offence to a low scoring chance number.

Faceoffs are still a problem though.
Even though we were better in special unit faceoffs, the only regulation goal we conceded was a direct result of a faceoff lost on the pk.

You could even say that the ot goal was also the result of a lost faceoff.

Our offence is seriously missing elite shooters and it was apparent once again.

Still it was a better performance than I expected.

Ducharme has talked about increased puck support so that the puck carrier has more options on the attack. It's a vague comment, but it hints at the idea of getting away from funnelling every low quality puck to the net.

Before we can talk about how much of a weakness it is to not have an elite sniper, we need to see a system that increases both chance quality, and chance volume, because there is almost nothing happening on that front right now.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
40+ shots and just one goal to show for.

New age offense people!

And in the gimmick OT they lost... again. Only this time they didn't even touch the puck FFS.
The quality is lacking ... either because of location or velocity or accuracy.

sometimes it looks like they’re shooting from anywhere. It’s like watching a game on my bubble hockey table.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The issue was Bergevin coming out pretty cocky and saying they can win playing any style. He put a lot of expectations by saying that.
There were discussions about his additions too. Identifying a back up as a big priority was bizarre because how we played in front of Price was the problem. Doesn't matter who the back up is as long as the team has big holes in front, it will struggle.
Then there was Edmundson, that was a redundant pick up. It did not identify an area of need. It's pretty much an attempt a Alzner type of signing. Big stay at home Dman.
They relied on Romanov to bring in some mobility and movement but they probably overrated his readiness level.

They know Suzuki-KK are young, but with a decent progression, they thought the depth would be sufficient to counter some of the lapses.

It was a misevaluation of their team. It's not just them either. A lot of people here were talking about the Habs like we were golden at center. I expect better from our management though.

I made a thread here around the time dubois was traded to Winnipeg, to get a guage of where the habs rank in terms of Centers in the division (when the habs were still playing well).

I had the habs ranked 6th, and most people didn't seem to think the habs were that much higher, at least for the near future.

Having said that, I believe it was fair to say that they were improved in this position. I expect the ups and downs from KK and Suzuki, but I didn't expect Danault to fall off the cliff, so while I had the habs ranked 6th, I expected better than what we are seeing.

Reactions: sheed36

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Well, nobody gets fired after a win. It probably would have extended his leash, but who knows by how much.
Considering how quickly they announced the hiring of Alex Burrows, I'd say the decision had been made awhile ago and Bergevin was waiting for the right moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->