Post-Game Talk: Habs lose 5-3 to NY Rangers

POTM (06/11/2018)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
As I said last night when the game was over I was certain Drouin and Price crapped the bed. After watching the highlights I realized how good Price had been all night long.

You can be good all game but if you give 2 softy in the third when your team as the lead 3-2....to me its still a bad game

Lets face it, something's not right with Carey, and it's been like that for too long to not be concern about it

Reactions: strongcomp05

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I dont think it is as much about reading a developing play as much as it is being on the same page as your d-men. For the life of me on the fourth goal , why did Reilly let pionk cross the crease. He actually goes and meets him at the middle of the crease and follows him across with a flailing stick. The **** is that, he should have bailed Juulsen out and Juulsen could have taken the trailer.

Sure the third goal he should have caught it but picking pucks by your ears cleanly isnt always going to happen. It seems like people teach goalies these days to knock the puck down more than trying to catch it clean, especially around the ears. Just something I've noticed over the past couple of seasons, I dont know this to be fact so take it as a randos internet observation.
I'm not going to lay blame on him for the fourth goal even if we know he has the ability to react to that play and stop it when he's on his game. That falls on the defensemen, you really never expect a guy to break through like that and it catches you by surprise, that's why goalies often get deked out of their shorts on plays like that.

He just has to squeeze the puck on that third goal. A relatively unscreened wrist shot from the top of the circles, you can't have it drop at your feet uncontrolled like that.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Weber at $7.8M for the next 4 or 5 years is not a problem. Price at $10.5M is only a problem if he is not at least a top 10 goalie and he can't stay healthy. Yeah, he is overpaid but by how much? $2M ish? Are we really fussing about $2M in cap space that we don't need?

Cap grew $4.5M last year vs the previous yearly average of $2M. We have one extra team bring in revenue and another one coming. You can't fight inflation and the cap is growing!

What superstar player do we have that needs another monster contract in the foreseeable future? I don't see any and most of our assets are locked up in decent term. By the time they needs new contracts and possible increases, the cap grows by a significant margin.

I don't see any problems other than we are overpaying Price by about $2M. $2M in cap space that we don't need at the moment.
Ok good points. He isn’t playing up to his contract though and that’s s huge problem given how important he is.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ok good points. He isn’t playing up to his contract though and that’s s huge problem given how important he is.

It's only a huge problem if we create this black cloud that follows him around and dumps rain on him every mistake he makes. Once you get past that his $2M overpaid, it's not a major problem.

My only concern is health. I think he is still a very good goalie and he's in the top 10. Top 5? No, not at this stage and he needs to be better.

Move past the fact he is overpaid. In 2 or 3 years time, a top 10 goalie will be north of $7M easily. We are not doomed with that contract. People said the same thing about Lundqvist

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Will it really? It will if the salary cap goes down or stay as it is.
I have no problem criticizing Price as he should be with his performance.

As a whole season for now. the team is playing decently. We want a young team, they will make errors and the goalie will not be able to stop them all. Pionk's goal, I believe Juulsen looked like a pylon. I don't mind at all what happened yesterday.
He did look like a pylon. However, he’s what? 19 or so? He’s still a rookie too. Price has to make that save on a defenceman coming in on him. He moved very slow on that. It wasn’t exactly Matthews coming in. It wasn’t Price’ s “fault” but given who he is, he needs to make those saves. Like I said, a poke check and we’re not even discussing this today. Price is quickly losing his shine with me. I’m very concerned.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
It's only a huge problem if we create this black cloud that follows him around and dumps rain on him every mistake he makes. Once you get past that his $2M overpaid, it's not a major problem.

My only concern is health. I think he is still a very good goalie and he's in the top 10. Top 5? No, not at this stage and he needs to be better.

Move past the fact he is overpaid. In 2 or 3 years time, a top 10 goalie will be north of $7M easily. We are not doomed with that contract. People said the same thing about Lundqvist
He does need to be one of the key guys who comes up big and bails out this young team when needed though. Just like Weber. If you go to your boss and ask for a gigantic raise, you better be ready to perform. Otherwise, your coworkers are going to ask “why the hell is this guy making so much?” So I think he deserves the criticism. I don’t think he cracks the top 10 right now. I just don’t. This team has been winning (mostly) due to hard work, effort, and limiting shots. Yes, with the exception of a couple games it was goaltending.
If you look at his save percentage, it’s not great. He’s letting goals in on fewer shots against. Lundquists record wasn’t as good, but he’s around .20 higher than Price in save percentage. Look at Broduer. The Jersey defence barely allowed shots, but when they did, the guy stopped everything. He never seemed to make a mistake. That’s what we need.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He does need to be one of the key guys who comes up big and bails out this young team when needed though. Just like Weber. If you go to your boss and ask for a gigantic raise, you better be ready to perform. Otherwise, your coworkers are going to ask “why the hell is this guy making so much?” So I think he deserves the criticism. I don’t think he cracks the top 10 right now. I just don’t. This team has been winning (mostly) due to hard work, effort, and limiting shots. Yes, with the exception of a couple games it was goaltending.
If you look at his save percentage, it’s not great. He’s letting goals in on fewer shots against. Lundquists record wasn’t as good, but he’s around .20 higher than Price in save percentage. Look at Broduer. The Jersey defence barely allowed shots, but when they did, the guy stopped everything. He never seemed to make a mistake. That’s what we need.

Be careful with what you wish for in expectations. Bergevin traded Subban cause he felt he didn't lead our team in the 2015/2016 season.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Like many people said... it's not that Price has been bad. But his job is to limit the goals and he didnt, while the oppoment's goalie did. I found we played a good game defensively for at least the 1st and 2nd period. Juulsen got walked at some point but it's when Price got to come up big and he didnt. I saw old man Lundqvist make key saves and play with a lot of drive ans focus. Price loses his own sooooooo easily. Huge deception. And he solidifies his place as 1st for worst contract in the league.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
The Leafs have moved past wasting $1.2M on the Kessel trade. We need to move past the fact we are overpaying Price by $2M.

we have cap space, please prey tell let me know how we parlay that 2 mil into something other than better hot dogs.

we overpaid because without price we would be toast. If we could score ( lehkonen) it wouldn't be a big deal. if we could play defense. it wouldnt be a big deal. but we can do neither. you want to run niemi as a 1 for a full season ? Good luck with that.

does anyone remember the time condon or lindgren has a nice little run and people advocated going with them full time ?

good times, good times.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
we have cap space, please prey tell let me know how we parlay that 2 mil into something other than better hot dogs.

we overpaid because without price we would be toast. If we could score ( lehkonen) it wouldn't be a big deal. if we could play defense. it wouldnt be a big deal. but we can do neither. you want to run niemi as a 1 for a full season ? Good luck with that.

does anyone remember the time condon or lindgren has a nice little run and people advocated going with them full time ?

good times, good times.

I'm not the the type to dwell on an issue. What's done is done. We are not doomed cause we are overpaying him $2M ish. He does need to stay healthy though

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
He did look like a pylon. However, he’s what? 19 or so? He’s still a rookie too. Price has to make that save on a defenceman coming in on him. He moved very slow on that. It wasn’t exactly Matthews coming in. It wasn’t Price’ s “fault” but given who he is, he needs to make those saves. Like I said, a poke check and we’re not even discussing this today. Price is quickly losing his shine with me. I’m very concerned.

Well yeah, he is 19. Mete is 20 . They will do errors and Price wouldn't be able to save them all.
It's a process and you can't expect a goalie to stop them all.
Price is ordinary, but putting all on Price is harsh.

Why did Price allowed 3-4 goals when Petry/juulsen/drouin/hudon were on ice and not with other lines.

Reactions: Runner77

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
All the people blaming Price or the refs for the loss are focusing on the wrong elements. The Habs played a pretty poor game defensively all game long and it was bound to happen. Reilly's game has been up and down the last few games and Benn needs to go back to playing on the bottom pair. Weber can't come soon enough and geez Peca is so vanilla. I think I prefer Flynn to him at this point, I'm willing to give him one more shot at the wing but it's clear he's not an NHL center. On a more positive note, I liked Shaw's hustle last night, he was our most implicated player yesterday I found in terms of the 1st period all the way to the 3rd, I still hope the team trades him though but it's those type of games that will help finding a buyer.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm just finding it comical. Of course the team has a little hot streak at the beginning of the season and people don't see it for the mirage that it is and now they're getting upset over the losses.

This team is not good. They've caught a few teams sleeping early in the season with the up tempo game and they've benefitted from some shoddy goaltending by other teams.

As the season goes on, they will struggle and lose. The defense will get exposed. Teams won't be coming in taking the Habs for granted and Julien won't be able to help himself to go back to his old broken system.

While I agree that the team was performing above the expectations most fans had for them, I don't think last night's game is a litmus test. Most teams will not have their legs on a second game in two nights. Winning 2 points out of 4 is an acceptable result.

Now, how much weight should be put on the individual performances of certain players based on this game, is another story. There were disturbing trends but not sure if I'd crucify certain players over them just yet.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Mike Johnson reported on something that happened during the game that if the coaching staff don't jump on it real soon it will turn badly. After one of Drouin's many brain farts, the one that led to the Rangers' 2nd goal, Petry was yelling at Drouin on the ice and on the bench. Ripping him a new one. In front of his team and in front of the opposing players.

I looked everywhere for a clip of that, but couldn't find one.

Also, on the RDS broadcast, they never mentioned that Petry was yelling at Drouin. Since Mike Johnson is believable, we'll have to take his word for it.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

Also, on the RDS broadcast, they never mentioned that Petry was yelling at Drouin. Since Mike Johnson is believable, we'll have to take his word for it.
I watched the game on TSN and they didn't show it either. As for RDS not mentioning the incident, do I really have to get into the reasons why they wouldn't.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It's time to break the line-up IMO.

Tatar had a strong game, and Gally too, but really, what did Danault contribute on that line ? There was the low-percantage play Danault made that resulted in a goal, but I've seen very little from him aside from that. There would be some benefit from breaking that line up.

Hudon needs to be out of the line-up, too, or on the fourth line, IDC.
Peca isn't doing squat, Dlo sucks, Armia is leeching off Kotkaniemi, Lekhonen is doing great though.

I'd keep
Tatar-Domi-Drouin
Lekhonen-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher
Byron-Danault-Armia
Hudon/Dlo-Peca-Shaw

Drouin has been good in his career at RW, maybe there's something there.... Can't be worse. Tatar and Domi could make some real damage together, kinda like Gally/Tatar are doing ATM.
Kotkaniemi gets his shooter, Kotkaniemi loves to handle the puck and Gallagher is our best one-time player, aside from Kotkaniemi himself, which might result in more goals. Lekhonen is an absolute force on the forcecheck and is disrupting around the net, that's going to create space for Kotkaniemi to do his thing and for Gallagher to get in position for the goals.
Danault is great on the cycle, Armia is great on the cycle, Byron is quick off the rush and he's a PITA around the net, kinda like Lekhonen, plus he's not bad on the cycle, his speed allows him to get where he needs to be quickly before he needs to engage too much physically, all three players are good defensively and can take tougher matchups.
The fourth line is just fodder and shouldn't play more than ten minutes a game, especially not the LW combo of Hudon or Dlo.

The LW of the first and 2nd line could be swapped, Lekhonen would fit in great on any of these lines, and Domi would benefit from being with him for sure, Tatar would benefit from being with Kotkaniemi, too. But knowing that Lekh/Kotka play well together, I'd keep them together. Drouin and Kotkaniemi need to stay away from each other as they both like to carry the puck and they both serve similar purpose on their line (Passer, shooter whenever they don't have the puck.) (Kotkaniemi does it better, imo.)

The PP should also be revised.

Domi, Tatar, Drouin, Kotkaniemi, Gallagher and Petry are the players I'd use, no one else. This makes it six though.

Tatar would seem like the odd man out of the first wave IMO, and the Armia joke has to stop.

I think that a formation of Gallagher as a net presence, Kotkaniemi as the halfwall shooter/passer, Drouin as the PPQB, Petry as the left wall shooter and Domi as the high slot passer or behind the line passer would be great. Kotkaniemi can also double as a slot shooter/presence with his release, one timer and size.

Gally
Petry Kotkaniemi Domi
Drouin

With Domi moving down or up, depending on the situation.

Cmon Clod, be smart for once.

Reactions: Pomee

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
For all those that are blaming Price I ask you to go look at the 8 minute highlight summary. Price out saved The King by a ratio of at least 3 to 1. Is this the same Price that won 4 trophies a few years back? No. But he is still an excellent goalie and pointing a finger at him for the loss is ridiculous. To be honest I felt let down by him at the end of the game but when I saw the highlights I saw he outplayed his opposing goalie by a wide margin. The team let him down.
blabla still allowed 13 goals in 3 games

elite goalie my ass , had 1 great season , then been normal since then.

Reactions: strongcomp05

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL

RDS did in fact mention Petry yelling at Drouin. I don't remember whether it was Pierre Houde or Marc Denis who mentioned it.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
I'm not the the type to dwell on an issue. What's done is done. We are not doomed cause we are overpaying him $2M ish. He does need to stay healthy though

We will be more doomed if he keeps playing like that cuz we will have to find and pay another goalie while still having a big amount of his salary on our cap....that is IF we're able to find a team that will take him. let's just hope he get back to just being a decent Goalie

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Like many people said... it's not that Price has been bad. But his job is to limit the goals and he didnt, while the oppoment's goalie did. I found we played a good game defensively for at least the 1st and 2nd period. Juulsen got walked at some point but it's when Price got to come up big and he didnt. I saw old man Lundqvist make key saves and play with a lot of drive ans focus. Price loses his own sooooooo easily. Huge deception. And he solidifies his place as 1st for worst contract in the league.

It's weird to say a goalie who let in 13 goals in 3 games didn't really have any "bad games", because he didn't really. he never deserved to be pulled or anything, he just hasn't consistently shut the door. It's gotta be both a bit of his fault and the defense.

They purposefully played Price against a lesser team on the back to back knowing the habs would be spent by the third and instead of holding the fort he did just the opposite.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
RDS did in fact mention Petry yelling at Drouin. I don't remember whether it was Pierre Houde or Marc Denis who mentioned it.

Drouin deserved it but people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, Petry's responsible for goals against just about every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->