Habs lose 4-3... ugly

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
A very MEH defeat. I don't feel completely upset. I kinda expected it before the game, I thought this would be a hard hard win though. I didn't expect it to be easy.

Then the first period happened. There I thought.. WOW. this will be easy as hell. Man was I wrong.

There was still alot of good things about this. The Cole/Desharnais/Pacioretty line is back... with that.. I'm just hoping that Bourque/Plekanec/Gionta line gets its feet back and we have three effective lines.

It was clear Gionta was awful. Markov hasnt been the same for a while. Those two were a huge disappointment today. In general, Gionta just seems to lack any vision, in offense. Love his heart, but heart can only take you so far.

This should have been an easy win. But Islanders/Habs are never easy matches for us. They are our kryptonite. It's sick.

We Want The 25

Go Habs Go
Sep 7, 2006
Why is gionta on for 4 on 3 powerplay ?!??????? Thats probably the easiest play to set up pk for one timer and they put gionta next to markov.

Nashy

Living on Fish Island
Feb 2, 2006
Toronto
You know what else really pissed me off? Habs had a PP with less than 3 minutes to play. It's cool that they didn't score, but how about a ****ing shot?

It's unbelievable how **** the PP has become....the PK ain't no hell either.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
What blows me away is not how bad Gionta is but how MT doesn't see it. You don't reward players who can't shoot or pass with even more PP and OT shifts. It just defies logic.

He put him at the freaking point. Gio is not really a passer and can't shoot..so why on earth do you put him on the point?

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
MT has this loss on his hands, for sure. Poor 2nd and 3rd periods, crappy use of his roster, no thought to improve the special teams.

Please trade Gionta, I'm sick of him. I'm sorry but he's useless. He is not the player he once was and he does not fit into the new identity of this team. He's almost become the new Gomez, expect instead of the other team knowing he's gonna pass cuz he can't shoot, they know Gionta is gonna shoot a weak one cuz he can't do anything else.

I've respected Gionta his entire time here but now is the time for him to depart.

Islanders1932

Jul 16, 2006
Long Island
www.beyondthetestprep.com
Hey guys just wanted to say that the Islanders had no business winning this game. You guys dominated us in 5 on 5 play. If that first period is any indication of what your team is capable then I think you guys will surprise a lot of teams in the future. Best of luck the rest of the way.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
How is Kaberle not playing when we have a guy like Diaz out there? Unreal.

Start calling him Iaz because there is no "D" in him.

This is a joke, right?

3 games in 4 days... it's obvious they were tired. Terrible 2nd and 3rd. I think it's time to give subban more ice time.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Hey guys just wanted to say that the Islanders had no business winning this game. You guys dominated us in 5 on 5 play. If that first period is any indication of what your team is capable then I think you guys will surprise a lot of teams in the future. Best of luck the rest of the way.

Same to you. On the contrary though, you guys never quit and we did. Awesome play in OT. You deserve the win.

Dharvey33

Apr 30, 2010
Diaz is a 5th dman that should play on the 2nd pp and 18 minutes per game.

Subban is a 1st pairing dman that shoukd play on the 1st pp and 24 minutes per game.

Thank you Daigneautl hated you as a player and now i hate you as a assistant coach. Stupid idiot.

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009

Islanders had a strong 2nd and a half and a good 3rd period. I think the game was down the middle. But Islanders worked hard and deserved the win. They capitalized on alot of dumb mistakes from our team.

Mats NAslund

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I'll repeat what I said in the GDT, if Price is to be considered a top 5 goalie in the league (he certainly is paid like one), these are the type of games he has to win for us. I don't think he was that busy tonight.

No chance on any of the goals

Goal 1 - Tip in from 3 feet
Goal 2. Moulson left alone in the LOW slot - No Chance
Goal 3 Trailer was left alone and walked in and took a perfect shot
Goal 4 Diax needs to tie that man up at the side of the net...NO CHANCE for Price

This was not on Price at all......The only goal he MAY have had a shot on was goal 3 but it was a perfect shot!

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I don't know where this icing obsession came from in the last two games, but someone should tell the Habs it's not a viable defensive strategy.

Markov and Diaz crashed back to earth in a bad way. Markov showing no creativity on the PP and Diaz just not doing anything well. Everybody but Therrien can see that Subban deserves minutes over those two.

I'm getting the same vibe from Gionta as I did with Gomez - "fine player at $3m, not worth anywhere close to his cap hit". He's playing like absolute garbage. I'm not even sure he knows how to pass the puck anymore.

Bouillon on the PP - how long are we going to let this continue? 0 powerplay points despite enormous PP time per game.

Wayyyy too many times we left the slot wide open. Tavares' breakaway in the first, and all the Isles goals except for the 1st...come on.

Nice to see Cole-DD-Patches start to click like last year. Right in time for the Pleks line to go cold, I guess.

Anyway I had a feeling this one wouldn't be easy, and it wasn't. Sucks to say "at least we got a point" against one of the worst teams in the league but the way we played for the most part, we didn't even deserve one.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec

Do you guys need a $5 million captain who "leads by example" by any chance?

Hello?

HELLO?!

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
This should have been an easy win. But Islanders/Habs are never easy matches for us. They are our kryptonite. It's sick.

This was a vintage game against them in MTL. It always seems like it features the Habs getting a lead, looking like they will win easy for a chunk of the game, then the momentum switches, the lead is blown and...most of the time we then we lose in OT or SO.

And I concur, the team looks gassed with this busy schedule. It seemed like we maxed out in the first period and had little energy after that.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
At least we gave Thomas Hickey something he'll cherish forever.

True. I mean, he is up there with one of the worst top 5 picks ever (not that it was his fault, terrible pick then, still is now...)....let's at least be happy that he's happy tonight.

Jmac1160*

Diaz is a 5th dman that should play on the 2nd pp and 18 minutes per game.

Subban is a 1st pairing dman that shoukd play on the 1st pp and 24 minutes per game.

Thank you Daigneautl hated you as a player and now i hate you as a assistant coach. Stupid idiot.

yeah cause we have been doing so horrible with this set up......

NewHabsEra*

What blows me away is not how bad Gionta is but how MT doesn't see it. You don't reward players who can't shoot or pass with even more PP and OT shifts. It just defies logic.

Im pretty sure that if you see it and most of us see it, there is a good chance MT saw it too dont you think? Its his captain, Im pretty sure the adjustments will come quick if Gio doesnt pick his game up soon..

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013

You guys have many quick player. JT is fantastic. Personally, if I had to choose between him Hall and RNH, I think I'd go with JT pretty much every day and twice on Sundays.

And honestly, after the 1st period, I kind of expected us to stink the remainder of the game. We started admiring ourselves a tad too much, players stopped playing tough, we stopped hitting, and we stopped playing in units of 5. The 3rd man, usually crucial and very quick to come back in the D zone in this system, was very slow to come and help his d-men.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad