Post-Game Talk: Habs lose 3-1

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
President or not, expectations are set by him ultimately. Molson model is "make playoffs and anything can happen" not "build a contender".

LOL and where exactly did he get that sentiment from. None other than our GM who was taking a bit of heat following our ECF for not addressing the obvious flaws with the club the following season. The double headed monster draft was coming up. He should have been able to make a deal for Eric Staal at that time by convincing Rutherford a tank would be in his best interests. Particularly when Jordan went down in camp. The frigging tank already had treads. FFS But no we absolutely had to hold onto Davey.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Drafting and developing "legit" centers has been an issue, and I get your underlying point. It's just that I'd say plekanec was a good pick as well back in 2001 or whatever it was.

I think KK will be a good center at some point as well, but yeah, its generally been slim pickings at center for decades.

Even before koivu, there was conroy in 1990, and I guess Cassels in 1987 or so, and carbonneau earlier than that.

It would actually be a good project to see who was the last habs superstar draft pick at center. Was lemaire a superstar? Gainey was great at what he did but not a superstar. Maybe they have never drafted one.
I’ve posted ad nauseam how the Habs have never drafted a superstar C - yes the pocket Rocket had a couple of PPG seasons but it’s an org weakness since inception 100+ years ago. Again...Le Gros Bill was signed as UFA and not drafted / developed by the org.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I know all that and not the one who would think centerline isn't important.
First thing is : Habs didn't draft a legit center since Koivu in 1993 and they started trying to draft a center the year they picked Galchenyuk. Way too late when they missed so many centers. That being said, the rest was desperate moves and temporary patches at center, nothing really worked and here we are in 2021. Did I missed something except excuses they randomly served us?
So you are saying that outside of the habs, no team in their right mind trades for a winger with character issues with the hopes he works out at center?

If we are weak down the middle, trading for a small godamned winger is NOT the answer. It's not even the question.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I’ve posted ad nauseam how the Habs have never drafted a superstar C - yes the pocket Rocket had a couple of PPG seasons but it’s an org weakness since inception 100+ years ago. Again...Le Gros Bill was signed as UFA and not drafted / developed by the org.

Yeah, my timeline is more between now and the inception of the amateur draft system in 1967 or whenever it started.

I know they basically bought out a league to get Beliveau, and Richard would have been picked up in the days where the habs had first priority due to territorial rights, so I'm not including that era.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
No, it made no sense, especially with his 'plans' for the left side of D. With an aging Markov, it was imperative we keep and develop our young left Ds.

And Bergevin even admitted afterwards that "il était important de rapatrier un quebecois". Google it, you'll see.
I have said from day one that it was a PR-based trade from our standpoint, what else makes any sense given the lack of LD we had, it had to be about filling a quota. Unfortunately for us, this trade was only one in a long series of blunders, I think that there have been far worse in the last 9 years.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I have said from day one that it was a PR-based trade from our standpoint, what else makes any sense given the lack of LD we had, it had to be about filling a quota. Unfortunately for us, this trade was only one in a long series of blunders, I think that there have been far worse in the last 9 years.
Molson said on Mitch Melnicks show the plan heading into that summer - specific $ were set aside for resigning Radulov (5-year deal) & Markov (1-year deal) and the goal was to replace Emelin (who they expected to lose to expansion draft) via UFA (they were hopeful to sign Alzner) and trade for Drouin to supplement the offense that was lacking vs NYR to beef up the top-6.

Radulov wouldn’t budge from the 8-year asking and Markov from his multi year ask...and the cluster became what it did

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
LOL and where exactly did he get that sentiment from. None other than our GM who was taking a bit of heat following our ECF for not addressing the obvious flaws with the club the following season. The double headed monster draft was coming up. He should have been able to make a deal for Eric Staal at that time by convincing Rutherford a tank would be in his best interests. Particularly when Jordan went down in camp. The frigging tank already had treads. FFS But no we absolutely had to hold onto Davey.

Before Bergevin time:

June 20th 2009 - Habs sold to Molson.
June 30th 2009 - Panic trade for Gomez (replace Koivu), signing of Cammy/Gionta.

Coincidence? Marching orders were set right from the beginning. People expecting a real contender under Molson will be disappointed for a long time. My expectations were adjusted a long time ago. :)

expy

Nov 2, 2010
Anyone and their dog could tell it was a PR move, except RDS, TVASports etc. They lapped it up.

this is why real talented players don’t want to come here unless their careers are almost over. Who wants to play for a team that doesn’t prioritize winning?

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Molson said on Mitch Melnicks show the plan heading into that summer - specific $ were set aside for resigning Radulov (5-year deal) & Markov (1-year deal) and the goal was to replace Emelin (who they expected to lose to expansion draft) via UFA (they were hopeful to sign Alzner) and trade for Drouin to supplement the offense that was lacking vs NYR to beef up the top-6.

Radulov wouldn’t budge from the 8-year asking and Markov from his multi year ask...and the cluster became what it did
But he just so happened to have no problem tossing 33 million at an unproven and troubled player but Markov and Radulov were unloyal dogs. Yeah, there was no other motive other than trying supplement things.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009

This is BS. Why did Rad sign for significantly less than 8 years and Markov even said he tried to talk to bergie about negotiations but MB wouldn't even take his calls. Are you saying markov is a liar and you won't believe the evidence before your very eyes in the case of Radulov?

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
For some reason, I thought this was going to be the best team I saw since 95-96. On "paper" and after first few game.

Holy hell was I wrong.

Someone please kick Suzuki in the face for me, might remove his smile off his face. You have no reason to smile right now, not on the ice. You can smile all you off it. The way you play with that smile, give me some anger.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
You do think Drouin is here because he speaks French? And English.

I believe they were looking for scoring and felt they had extra d. If you go back at trade thread, you will read a lot of "Sergachev is homesick and going to KHL".

Team had Weber, Petry, Markov,Emelin, Benn. Drafted Mete, Juulsen, Lernout. Only 2 fwd over 50 pts.

Most Francos and Anglos were happy with the trade. Probably even we could find same posters happy then, unhappy now. 22 yrs old Drouin just out of 53 pts season for an A prospect. Made sense.
I think you are wrong, I don't think another GM in the league makes that trade.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The way this team has been constructed, he does play have a key role. He's was basically counted on to be the guy who plays against the other team's best lines, while taking the important draws, and producing some offense playing primarily with guys like Tatar and Gallagher.

The other centers are mere puppies, and we knew they were going to be more volatile, so Danault was counted on for consistency.

Again, I'm not arguing that Danault has failed on almost every account in filling that role, but for the way the habs are built, the role itself is important to the success of this club.

Again, what success?
The Habs aren't built properly for success.
These days you want your top centers to be two way guys. Even guys like Matthews learn how to improve their two way games.
Danault is just not good enough on the side of the puck to be in a significant role.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Since Feb 4, 2021
Point %: .441

Good for the 24th position in the League
In the North Division, only Ottawa has been worse (.400).
But SN said we have a "tough division" and all the Toronto hype is legit :tvhappy:

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
This is BS. Why did Rad sign for significantly less than 8 years and Markov even said he tried to talk to bergie about negotiations but MB wouldn't even take his calls. Are you saying markov is a liar and you won't believe the evidence before your very eyes in the case of Radulov?
In Jan 2017 TSN690 reported Radulov’s side approached Habs about 8-year deal which was rejected by the org. Repeat in May. Reported in June Habs approached Radulov with 5-year deal, which Radulov’s side wouldn’t budge on 8 as reported by Marinaro. The 5-yr deal offered by Habs was shopped and signed by Stars. Recall, Radulov also skipped town on Preds after 2007 playoffs, and only Wings & Habs offered him contracts in summer of 2016, both 1-year deals w Habs offering significantly more.

Markov as reported by Pat Hickey and TSN690 wanted a multi year deal. Habs stood firm on 1-year deal. He went to market hoping another team would offer up which didn’t happen and signed with KHL. As reported by TSN Markov approached Habs in Oct looking to comeback on a 1-year deal, and was told it wasn’t possible.

Reactions: tazsub3

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Again, what success?
The Habs aren't built properly for success.
These days you want your top centers to be two way guys. Even guys like Matthews learn how to improve their two way games.
Danault is just not good enough on the side of the puck to be in a significant role.

Like I said, he's failed on almost every account this year. That's another topic though.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
In Jan 2017 TSN690 reported Radulov’s side approached Habs about 8-year deal which was rejected by the org. Repeat in May. Reported in June Habs approached Radulov with 5-year deal, which Radulov’s side wouldn’t budge on 8 as reported by Marinaro. The 5-yr deal offered by Habs was shopped and signed by Stars. Recall, Radulov also skipped town on Preds after 2007 playoffs, and only Wings & Habs offered him contracts in summer of 2016, both 1-year deals w Habs offering significantly more.

Markov as reported by Pat Hickey and TSN690 wanted a multi year deal. Habs stood firm on 1-year deal. He went to market hoping another team would offer up which didn’t happen and signed with KHL. As reported by TSN Markov approached Habs in Oct looking to comeback on a 1-year deal, and was told it wasn’t possible.

I remember hearing the flyers were interested in markov, but I don't know what they offered.

superstar436

Mar 4, 2004
As I said the day it happened.
Julien wasn't the problem and Ducharme won't change anything.

If you don't fix the real problem, things won't get any better .

The problem is Marc Bergevin.
Nope the problem is molson and you can't fire him so live with it.

If molson did not see MB performance since 2016, it indicates how good of a hockey man he is.

Also, and this is more important, when he hired MB, the mandate is to simply make the playoffs and some quick cash. TMB followed what was asked of him.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Nope the problem is molson and you can't fire him so live with it.

If molson did not see MB performance since 2016, it indicates how good of a hockey man he is.

Also, and this is more important, when he hired MB, the mandate is to simply make the playoffs and some quick cash. TMB followed what was asked of him.
I think molson issue are way worst the MB.
He has made himself a slave to the french language issue. Before him, the french coach/GM issue,was not as pronounced. He just got bullied and had no coglione to stand up for it.

Reactions: Varlan

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Only way the consortium bends is if people put pressure on it with public displays in front of the BC coupled with a successful boycott of Molson products.

However, who's going to go protest billionaire owners about underperforming millionaires, especially during Covid? Geoff and his Richie Rich pals are pretty much insulated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad