News Article: Habs Let Go 4 Scouts (OHL, BCHL, USHS - Minn/New Eng)

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I wonder if they could forge some type of relationships with other teams in .the CHL. So say I partner with the Mooseheads, I give them X amount of dollars to spend on their scouting and they share their reporting database with me. Rather than poach their staff entirely. CHL prohibit this type of agreement?

Reactions: Chris Cutter

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
so they let 4 scouts go....then invited them all to Dallas??

Like what is up with that?? You just cut off there pay checks.....ya be great to hang around..lol

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
They worked on the draft they should be able to take part.

oh geez...yeah..i dunno...

If you're hired at job , and you done leg work on a major project,and then the company lays you off(fires you) ...do you comes back 2 months after to the watch the grand opening ???lol

Very weird deal inviting 4 fired employees to watch the draft....be like inviting back a coach you fired half way thru the year to the Stanley Cup celebration...

Reactions: Doc McKenna

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
They need to cut more then, Laine's been here since '01 draft although it says he was a Euro scout and for the past 2 years has Finland

Elite Prospects - Hannu Laine Team Staff Profile

So I'd be interested to know who he's been scouting cause outside of Lehkonen, DLR and maybe Ikonen/Vejdemo some day, we don't have much to show for out of Finland/Sweden for some time.

I know Telepin came over for the '13 draft after being with the Jackets since the '00 draft. I assume he had some say on Scherbak/Sergachev before they came over to the CHL.

Elite Prospects - Artyom Telepin Team Staff Profile

Really depends on their lists. At the end of the year they have a draft meeting and they put together a team list, and I imagine everyone gets a say. Laine could have been kicking and screaming for Sebastian Aho and been overruled. I wouldn't get rid of the guy just because I didn't listen to him.

Those minnesota and new england high school scouts were just f***ing useless though, mostly because of the area. The USNTDP has soaked up all the talent in the states, with a few playing in the USHL. There's like...2 or 3 guys of any interest at all in USHS this year. I would vastly prefer we fire them and hire more Swedish scouts.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Really depends on their lists. At the end of the year they have a draft meeting and they put together a team list, and I imagine everyone gets a say. Laine could have been kicking and screaming for Sebastian Aho and been overruled. I wouldn't get rid of the guy just because I didn't listen to him.

Those minnesota and new england high school scouts were just ****ing useless though, mostly because of the area. The USNTDP has soaked up all the talent in the states, with a few playing in the USHL. There's like...2 or 3 guys of any interest at all in USHS this year. I would vastly prefer we fire them and hire more Swedish scouts.

I bet they don't do any audits. They should be looking at lists and track records of their scouts across the years and wondering who's recommending garbage and who's recommending gold and start weighing their lists relative to that.

If one guy got Kucherov right and my other guys didn't, well I'm gonna dig in deeper and see if there's a tendency there.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
oh geez...yeah..i dunno...

If you're hired at job , and you done leg work on a major project,and then the company lays you off(fires you) ...do you comes back 2 months after to the grand opening ???lol

Very weird deal inviting 4 fired employees to watch the draft....be like inviting back a coach you fired half way thru the year to the Stanley Cup celebration...
I’d go for sure, mingle with other teams, hand out resumes, do a little self promo, make some contacts with other scouts in the league, see who’s hiring.....ya, I’m going, meanwhile the guy that stays at home will do just that, stay at home.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
so they let 4 scouts go....then invited them all to Dallas??

Like what is up with that?? You just cut off there pay checks.....ya be great to hang around..lol

Maybe their contract requires the Habs to pay them right up to the draft? I think they were told that their contracts would not be renewed.

Regardless, seems weird to re-haul a few scouts right before the draft. I guess they don't have inside information of who we are high on and didn't take part of the management meetings we been having about the draft? The only info they know is what they personally provided to the Habs?

Reactions: Michelb2018

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I’d go for sure, mingle with other teams, hand out resumes, do a little self promo, make some contacts with other scouts in the league, see who’s hiring.....ya, I’m going, meanwhile the guy that stays at home will do just that, stay at home.

Again..i bet that's not how they got hired...

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Maybe their contract requires the Habs to pay them right up to the draft? I think they were told that their contracts would not be renewed.

if ya don't renew ..your fired... plain and simple.,..

If you have ever been let go or fired...your feelings toward the employer most of the time isnt a great one...lol

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
why would you want to sit there infront or around the people who canned you .....anyways are the 4 scouts going anyone know???

It does seem weird. But I would only be worried if they had inside information and could possibly leak info to other teams. I doubt that is the case. The only insider information they likely know is their own information. Habs already have this report.

It's very interesting to see some of the moves we are making and how this is tied to the general comments on our boards over the last few months/years...

- Change in Laval. Ducharme and Bouchard talked about over and over again and boom. They are part of our team.

- Re-haul the scouting system. We just let go a few guys. They likely waited last moment and took whatever info we could from them while we were paying them. But the Habs were forced to notify them their contracts would not be renewed... might of been a contract stipulation where the renewed option kicked in at a certain date. Just speculating.

- Rebuild. Lets see if this is the direct we take this summer. The general consensus on our boards is we want a rebuild of some sort.

- More communication notice from Molson. He is very aware of the dislike towards Bergevin and his message to fans at the end of season press conference it tied to this. He knows something we don't and want's to bridge the gap a bit with communication. It's his attempt to tone down the hate IMO. Might work... might not work. We will see.

It does not take any genius to figure out what the die hard Habs fans are thinking. Join HF boards for a few days and you will find out very quick! We are the puppet masters of Bergevin through Molson! haha

Last edited:
Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Seems like they let scouts go in regions that haven't been great lately in the world.

Ludzig was Ontario scout, but he may have just been a scout for the OJHL and not so much OHL. It's where they drafted Evans from in 2015 (that was done before Ludzig). So maybe they felt that they should put some more attention in that league just in case they find someone else.

Much like one of them scouted the BCHL. Another was Minnesota region. Maybe he was scouting the High School league's and not exactly NCAA.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Those minnesota and new england high school scouts were just ****ing useless though, mostly because of the area. The USNTDP has soaked up all the talent in the states, with a few playing in the USHL. There's like...2 or 3 guys of any interest at all in USHS this year. I would vastly prefer we fire them and hire more Swedish scouts.

They should beef up the scouting department, since money shouldn't be an issue. The USA, Sweden, Finland are programs that have been on the rise so they should be scouting those countries heavily. Our track record from Sweden/Finland is so bad since Koivu, etc... that it wouldn't hurt to get new blood or a change of thinking if indeed they wanted certain players but were out voted.

Reactions: FireBurningBin

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I'd definitely go to the draft and do exactly as you suggest. Brown nose and if the Habs or any other team drafts anyone from the territory the scout was covering, blurt out "Hey, I saw and recommended that guy!!!" within earshot of as many teams that will pick it up.

Reactions: jaffy27

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Ludzig was Ontario scout, but he may have just been a scout for the OJHL and not so much OHL. It's where they drafted Evans from in 2015 (that was done before Ludzig). So maybe they felt that they should put some more attention in that league just in case they find someone else.

Much like one of them scouted the BCHL. Another was Minnesota region. Maybe he was scouting the High School league's and not exactly NCAA.

I don't like the timing of these announcements -- they could have just let the scouts have their day at the draft and then simply not renew their contracts after the draft is done. And then proceed to interview and name replacements. I don't know what it accomplishes to do this now unless their goal is to send a huge batsignal to the scouting community looking for jobs, that these positions are available for the taking.

Reactions: jaffy27

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't like the timing of these announcements -- they could have just let the scouts have their day at the draft and then simply not renew their contracts after the draft is done. And then proceed to interview and name replacements. I don't know what it accomplishes to do this now unless their goal is to send a huge batsignal to the scouting community looking for jobs, that these positions are available for the taking.

It gives the scouts time to look for new work which can take months. Their work with the Habs is done and they aren't bringing them back so they inform them they need to look for other opportunities.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I thought Boisvert was gone, isn't he the one that posted a pretty crazy top 10 or 15 or so? Or am I mixing him up with someone else?

Different guy. Simon Snake Boisvert is an ex-scout. Serge Boisvert who is our scout is an ex-Habs player.

Reactions: montreal

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

I understand what you mean about the timing. My belief is that these guys have given everything they had to give to the organization in terms of notes. And there is no risk of them going elsewhere because they're still under contract until June 30th.

Backus was scouting the BCHL. Westrum was scouting the Minnesota high schools. Ludzig and Bezeau were listed as Ontario and New England area scouts, respectively. I think it's logical to think that if they were part time scouts, they didn't cover meaningful leagues compared to OHL and NCAA. Or maybe they scouted those leagues partially and reported to a full-time scout who covers those areas.

Reactions: Runner77

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
The scouts are doing some data in the season and the habs kept them so they know what these guys saw and wrote. Don't need them at the draft anyway.

Anyway, I'm happy that Pat 'I want David Fischer please' Westrum is gone. The rest I don't care that much.

It seems to be like this right now:
Ken Morin/Elmer Benning (WHL)
Serge Boisvert/Donald Audette (QMJHL)
Bobby Kinsella (NCAA)

I don't know about the OHL..seems to be Matt Turek.

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The scouts are doing some data in the season and the habs kept them so they know what these guys saw and wrote. Don't need them at the draft anyway.

Anyway, I'm happy that Pat 'I want David Fischer please' Westrum is gone. The rest I don't care that much.

It seems to be like this right now:
Ken Morin/Elmer Benning (WHL)
Serge Boisvert/Donald Audette (QMJHL)
Bobby Kinsella (NCAA)

I don't know about the OHL..seems to be Matt Turek.

It's possible it's Turek. Though he's the only one listed as only "Amateur Scout" without any region. Let's not forget that Churla does his part, Timmins, as well. And some reports have Lapointe doing both amateur and pro scouting also.

Ken Morin and Elmer Benning probably had a lot to do with last year's draft as it was WHL heavy (Brook, Walford, Fleury, and Tyszka).

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
They should beef up the scouting department, since money shouldn't be an issue. The USA, Sweden, Finland are programs that have been on the rise so they should be scouting those countries heavily. Our track record from Sweden/Finland is so bad since Koivu, etc... that it wouldn't hurt to get new blood or a change of thinking if indeed they wanted certain players but were out voted.

I agree. I think it would be advantageous to get as many independent lists as possible. What they do with them is another issue, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->