News Article: Habs Let Go 4 Scouts (OHL, BCHL, USHS - Minn/New Eng)

OB5

May 2, 2015
Seriously, the pro scouting has been beyond awful.............let's move some of these guys out also!!

The biggest sign of change for me would a complete overhaul of the pro scouting department. Since Vaughn Karpan went to Vegas it has been abysmal.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
What would you have a full-time scout do in areas with limited potential for any finds?

Spend time in other areas as well.

But I think peoples point is that it doesn't really matter that the potential for finds is limited, it's not like the cost of a full time scout is going to be very much anyways. So spending say an extra 50K is worth it even if it only improves your odds of getting an NHL by half a percent.

That said, I don't think it's a bad idea to have lots of part-time scouts whose job is to essentially flag potential players. So the part-timer says player x is interesting and someone higher will come and scout them "properly".

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Our pro transactions ever since Crawford came here have been disgusting.

We've had coach firings both in the NHL/AHL, have cut back Carierre's responsibilities, fired some amateur scouts so hopefully we see a shake-up with our pro scouts next.

Reactions: Habs Icing

OB5

May 2, 2015
Isn't it a bit odd for all these firings to come a couple weeks before the draft?

The draft board and the research are done. the only thing that they could contribute is live opinions...which doesn't really matter much since the board is there. They have all been invited to the draft, whatever that's worth. I'm sure they'll all go.

hey

Mar 8, 2006
I would try to steal pro scouts from Vegas. Clearly they did a great job

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
How was this guy able to keep his job for so long?

yikes
Because until now there was no accountability. Until recently, the only thing that mattered is what an employee's relationship to Bergevin was. Job performance or competency never entered into it. As long as you were one of Bergevin's foxhole-dwelling, f-bomb hurling buddies you got to keep your job.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Because until now there was no accountability. Until recently, the only thing that mattered is what an employee's relationship to Bergevin was. Job performance or competency never entered into it. As long as you were one of Bergevin's foxhole-dwelling, f-bomb hurling buddies you got to keep your job.
He's been here for 11 years under 3 different regimes... let's slack a bit on the MB hate.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
He's been here for 11 years under 3 different regimes... let's slack a bit on the MB hate.
He obviously had the right "attitude".

The fact that he's been there under 3 different regimes only underscores what I've said in other threads for some time now: that this team doesn't hire individuals; they hire a certain type of individual. This is why the names change but the poor results have remained largely the same for 25 years. Bergevin isn't fundamentally different than any of his predecessors over the past quarter century. Neither is Julien (in fact, one of Julien's predecessors was Julien himself) This organization needs to change its culture. It needs to change the way it thinks about the game. As long as the Habs, as an organization, think that defense and goaltending win championships it won't matter who the coach or the GM or the scouts are. The end result will always be the same. The fact that a scout could be hired by one regime and remain in place through its lifespan plus two others tells you that nothing meaningful has ever really changed with this team since Savard and Demers were fired back in 94.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Isn't it a bit odd for all these firings to come a couple weeks before the draft?

I don't think so since their contracts were likely up in July so it's just giving them notice to look for other jobs. They can't join any team before July anyway and can still be at the draft meetings.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
The draft board and the research are done. the only thing that they could contribute is live opinions...which doesn't really matter much since the board is there. They have all been invited to the draft, whatever that's worth. I'm sure they'll all go.
According to Richard Labbé from La Presse, all 4 declined the invitations to attend.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Spend time in other areas as well.

But I think peoples point is that it doesn't really matter that the potential for finds is limited, it's not like the cost of a full time scout is going to be very much anyways. So spending say an extra 50K is worth it even if it only improves your odds of getting an NHL by half a percent.

That said, I don't think it's a bad idea to have lots of part-time scouts whose job is to essentially flag potential players. So the part-timer says player x is interesting and someone higher will come and scout them "properly".

I should think that's what they do. full-time guys can come in if part timers identify someone of interest.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So what we are left are.....
Trevor Timmins
Shane Churla
Serge Boisvert - Eastern Canada
Donald Audette - Québec
Elmer Benning - West
Bobby (if you build it, he will come) Kinsella - US
Michael Krupa - Czech and Slovakia
Hannu Laine - Finland
Matt Turek -
Ken Morin - West
Christer Rockstrom - Europe
Artem Telepin - Russia
Vic Posa - US (located in Michigan)

I thought Boisvert was gone, isn't he the one that posted a pretty crazy top 10 or 15 or so? Or am I mixing him up with someone else?

Looks like Benning was out on medical leave this year,

Veteran amateur scout Elmer Benning ready to get back in game

Seems like they let scouts go in regions that haven't been great lately in the world.

They need to cut more then, Laine's been here since '01 draft although it says he was a Euro scout and for the past 2 years has Finland

Elite Prospects - Hannu Laine Team Staff Profile

So I'd be interested to know who he's been scouting cause outside of Lehkonen, DLR and maybe Ikonen/Vejdemo some day, we don't have much to show for out of Finland/Sweden for some time.

I know Telepin came over for the '13 draft after being with the Jackets since the '00 draft. I assume he had some say on Scherbak/Sergachev before they came over to the CHL.

Elite Prospects - Artyom Telepin Team Staff Profile

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->