News Article: Habs Let Go 4 Scouts (OHL, BCHL, USHS - Minn/New Eng)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Could have slept with Bergevin's wife, it's a possibility.

It doesn't need to be that graphic or far fetched but sure, if you like to dabble in HBO-type screenplays.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If they do bring in Hunter.....then it is set up to fire alot of people if necessary....if it goes tank again in 2018-19...they could let tons of long time people go ....Hunter could take over stuff like scouting etc..that's is Hunters thing scouting....

I'd love the Habs to get Hunter. He's ripe for a signing -- he's been scorched. He's looking for redemption and Montreal is not that far away from his base.

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
I'd love the Habs to get Hunter. He's ripe for a signing -- he's been scorched. He's looking for redemption and Montreal is not that far away from his base.

So would I and I wouldn't be surprised either if Molson was the one to bring him in next to Bergevin and not Bergevin. It would be a clear warning.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So would I and I wouldn't be surprised either if Molson was the one to bring him in next to Bergevin and not Bergevin. It would be a clear warning.

I like that he's no chump. Coming from a great braintrust in a high position of responsibility, there is a lot he could bring to the table, not just his scouting knowledge.

Reactions: Habsddicted

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
I like that he's no chump. Coming from a great braintrust in a high position of responsibility, there is a lot he could bring to the table, not just his scouting knowledge.

Him and his brother have done some pretty interesting things down in London and Montreal has always had a link with the Knights for some reason.

Quote me on this if it happens:laugh:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Him and his brother have done some pretty interesting things down in London and Montreal has always had a link with the Knights for some reason.

Quote me on this if it happens:laugh:

We have two of the sharpest hockey minds coming out of Quebec in Ducharme and Bouchard. We'd have the OHL covered with Hunter.

Hopefully we have a solid WHL guy.

Reactions: Habsddicted

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Don't knock HBO scripts. They pay well.

No one was knocking them. It was well within the context of what was brought up.

Jeez, maybe we should look into some writing opportunities. Hours spent here don't pay the bills.

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
We have two of the sharpest hockey minds coming out of Quebec in Ducharme and Bouchard. We'd have the OHL covered with Hunter.

Hopefully we have a solid WHL guy.
The WHL has always been a mistery to me, lots of pretty good players come from it but the coaching and management is where it lacks in distinguishment in my opinion.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
I mean he said he already handed in his list and input so they clearly wanted his input.

I just thinking he was hired by Dudley and Timmins wanted someone else. Steve tweeted about Dudley teaching him to scout when he left for the Canes.

Which brings me to another thing with this Mark Hunter thing. Hunter is a big name and wants promote him to ast GM.

If Hunter comes in, who makes the call. Bergevin seemed to have handled Dudley/ Timmins well enough so maybe it’s doable
The Dudley thing is very possible

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

It might be a coincidence Habs can the Ontario scout with Hunter being the best Ontario scout out there looking for work....

Dudley gone....Hunter in ...I would like that....and it would put heat on Trevor and the rest for sure....If Molson wanted to clean house, Hunter could take over and help rebuild the staff etc...and let's say another savy mind when it comes to prospects 'Julien Bresbois" is on the Molson phone speed dial as GM....

Bresbois /Hunter...be a good team there....I would be legit excited.

Hunter wants to be a GM ,not sure there's a job out there for him this year ...but while he waits Montreal vs Brooklyn /Long Island ?

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
Just saw his dad was friends of MB. I would love to see the twisted family tree that is the habs management.

They were former teammates, not friends. Not every former colleague is a friend. I don't know about you, but I've worked closely with hundreds of people in my career and only a handful of them are friends.

Anyway, Ludzik Jr. was probably a Rick Dudley hire, not a Bergevin hire. Ludzik Sr. was assistant coach under head coach Dudley with the IHL Vipers, before becoming head coach of the team when Dudley was promoted to GM. Ludzik Sr.'s next stop was as head coach of the Tampa Bay Lighting, hired by VP of Hockey Operations Rick Dudley.

Dudley's now gone from the Habs and Ludzik Jr. was let go after his work for the 2018 draft was complete. Probably not a coincidence.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
They were former teammates, not friends. Not every former colleague is a friend. I don't know about you, but I've worked closely with hundreds of people in my career and only a handful of them are friends.

Anyway, Ludzik Jr. was probably a Rick Dudley hire, not a Bergevin hire. Ludzik Sr. was assistant coach under head coach Dudley with the IHL Vipers, before becoming head coach of the team when Dudley was promoted to GM. Ludzik Sr.'s next stop was as head coach of the Tampa Bay Lighting, hired by VP of Hockey Operations Rick Dudley.

Dudley's now gone from the Habs and Ludzik Jr. was let go after his work for the 2018 draft was complete. Probably not a coincidence.

If Duds did hire him, will we see Ludzik Jr to Carolina?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
According to Martin Leclerc's article, the Habs didn't only advise Steve Ludzik that they would not renew his contract (which expires June 30th), but they've also given the notice to another three. Alvin Backus (who scouted the BCHL), Andy Bezeau (New England area), and Pat Westrum (West Canadian region and recently the Minnesota area) have all been told their contracts will not be renewed.

Bezeau and Ludzik were new to the organization, whereas Backus was there the past six years and Westrum, eleven. However, they were all working part-time.

After these guys' departure, the Habs amateur scouting department will have 11 scouts, as well as Churla and Timmins.

By comparison, Leclerc says that the Lightning have 14 scouts on top of having a head scout and a director of scouting. He adds the BriseBois also helps in that aspect. The Predators have 11 scouts plus a head scout. Also former Assistant GM Paul Fenton also took part in that process. Finally, he states the Ducks have 6 scouts plus two directors.

Le CH laisse partir 25 % de ses recruteurs amateurs | ICI.Radio-Canada.ca

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
According to Martin Leclerc's article, the Habs didn't only advise Steve Ludzik that they would not renew his contract (which expires June 30th), but they've also given the notice to another three. Alvin Backus (who scouted the BCHL), Andy Bezeau (New England area), and Pat Westrum (West Canadian region and recently the Minnesota area) have all been told their contracts will not be renewed.

Bezeau and Ludzik were new to the organization, whereas Backus was there the past six years and Westrum, eleven. However, they were all working part-time.

Does anyone know if this is a normal thing, to have so many scouts working part time?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't know. But I would think it is.

You kind of figure that a high revenue cap team would be spending its resources to hire full time scouts -- I'm sure they'd have enough work for them.

This whole idea of part timers doesn't sound very professional. I could see it in the 60s and 70s but now with so many teams fishing out of the same pool, you need an edge.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
You kind of figure that a high revenue cap team would be spending its resources to hire full time scouts -- I'm sure they'd have enough work for them.

This whole idea of part timers doesn't sound very professional. I could see it in the 60s and 70s but now with so many teams fishing out of the same pool, you need an edge.

So true. A team that is supposed to build through the draft. A team that has to know that UFA won't come here. That when your GM says deals are tough to make, that your ONLY way to really improve is through the draft. So when you are in a cap era, and have so much more money than a whole lot of teams, where should you spend it? Yeah....for the draft and development. And yet....team filled with part time? Just a joke.

By the way, not against having part timer. I have it against not having more full time scouts.

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

I asked Andrew Zadarnowski of EOTP on Twitter if it's common for teams to employ part time scouts. He said it's very common.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So true. A team that is supposed to build through the draft. A team that has to know that UFA won't come here. That when your GM says deals are tough to make, that your ONLY way to really improve is through the draft. So when you are in a cap era, and have so much more money than a whole lot of teams, where should you spend it? Yeah....for the draft and development. And yet....team filled with part time? Just a joke.

Reminds of the days when Habs players in the 60s and 70s had part time jobs delivering furniture and Molson beer during the summer.

I wonder what other jobs these scouts are doing. It would probably be funny if we found out.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I asked Andrew Zadarnowski of EOTP on Twitter if it's common for teams to employ part time scouts. He said it's very common.

Interesting. But why in this day and age? The whole idea of "professional" and "part time" doesn't jive.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Interesting. But why in this day and age? The whole idea of "professional" and "part time" doesn't jive.

I asked him a follow up question, asking what makes a scout a part timer. Because I envision them all as people who roam around the rinks, watching players, writing reports, and sending them to their superiors. I'm wondering what separates a full time scout from a part time one.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
So what we are left are.....
Trevor Timmins
Shane Churla
Serge Boisvert - Eastern Canada
Donald Audette - Québec
Elmer Benning - West
Bobby (if you build it, he will come) Kinsella - US
Michael Krupa - Czech and Slovakia
Hannu Laine - Finland
Matt Turek - Doesn't say in the Habs website, but the guy used to be a scout for the Hamilton Bulldogs of the OHL so he is surely our Ontario scout
Ken Morin - West
Christer Rockstrom - Europe
Artem Telepin - Russia
Vic Posa - US (located in Michigan)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->