Speculation: Habs just gained $3.75 million in cap space. Trade incoming?

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
He's bit better than Edmundson, Chiarot or Romanov, so no he wouldn't play on the 2nd pair, sorry

He has the same amount of PTS then Edmundson while playing for the team with the most goals in the league and Edmundson is #1 in the league in +-

Very hard to provide good arguments why Graves would be better than Romanov and Chariot so Habs don't really have any reasons to acquire this guy.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
He has the same amount of PTS then Edmundson while playing for the team with the most goals in the league and Edmundson is #1 in the league in +-

Very hard to provide good arguments why Graves would be better than Romanov and Chariot so Habs don't really have any reasons to acquire this guy.

Typo, meant to write "NOT"

He's NOT better

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Younger /= better. Heading into a playoff race Montour > Mete at this point & he's on an expiring contract which eliminates the need to protect him from SEA.

Plus Mete's not seeing the ice & has already requested a trade...

He's a RFA, and no, Montour isn't better than the guy we have at LHD in Edmundson, CHiarot and Romanov. So again, why waste picks on a futur UFA that doesn't make us better? unless the d-man can step on the 1st pairing with Weber and fits the core (25ish), not worth it.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Honestly I'm kinda getting this feeling as well.

He has the talent to be a gamebreaker something the Habs are missing at the forward position.

Hall has been slowed with chronic knee issues the last few years. He drives the play with speed and skating. Might be a better option than another DMan. Depending on the BUF ask, they want a 1st which is too high.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Would the Canadiens have any interest in Ryan Murray?

The cap space frees up the ability to acquire him, Devils may be willing to retain a bit to make it work, but they still have Kulikov/Vatanen who they may plan to trade with retention

Devils would probably be just looking for a pick and maybe a warm body on defense to finish out the year.

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Would the Canadiens have any interest in Ryan Murray?

The cap space frees up the ability to acquire him, Devils may be willing to retain a bit to make it work, but they still have Kulikov/Vatanen who they may plan to trade with retention

Devils would probably be just looking for a pick and maybe a warm body on defense to finish out the year.

Hows Murray's Skating now a days? I know he has been injured a lot has it affected him in any ways?

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Forgot to add if he didn't get taken by Seattle. We wouldn't be making the trade until after the expansion draft, as we need Graves as expansion fodder. Seattle will be choosing between Donskoi, Graves, Compher, O'Connor, or MacDonald. Most likely it will end up Graves or Donskoi, but it wouldn't surprise me if they choose a cheaper option.
You assume EJ will waive his NMC. Why would he unless he is ok being possibly moved? This is a business and he wanted that clause but Avs fans just assume he will waive it so Sakic can protect Toews. Would you do that for a co-worker?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
You assume EJ will waive his NMC. Why would he unless he is ok being possibly moved? This is a business and he wanted that clause but Avs fans just assume he will waive it so Sakic can protect Toews. Would you do that for a co-worker?

I guess you didn't read the whole thread, but it's either EJ waives or he gets bought out. The Avs' ownership aren't going to balk at having to pay for EJ's buyout like Anaheim did.

Plus, it's a lot different situation, Sakic is a player's GM and there's been multiple quotes about how much they trust Joe and his leadership. There is zero reason for Seattle to select EJ who is overpaid, 32 yrs of age, and has played 4 games this season, especially in a flat cap world. EJ has played the majority of his career on the Avalanche and has been one of the leaders in the locker room and loves the team.

If he wants to stay on the Avs, he'll waive his NMC. If he doesn't he gets traded or bought out Sakic can also trade him to 19 teams in the league, EJ doesn't hold all the cards like many believe he does.

Reactions: Patagonia

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
I know Columbus needs a center, but if I'm Bergevin, i'm offering Caulfield for Laine as the center piece

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
I know Columbus needs a center, but if I'm Bergevin, i'm offering Caulfield for Laine as the center piece

Oh, Hell No!!...Habs have enough enigmas, don't need Laine to float alongside Johnny Drou Drou...it's LD help that the Habs need most, so I wouldn't be shocked to see Dunn (and probably a Hoffman or somesuch) for picks and Lehkonen (although I'd much rather see Byron's wasted contract go the other way)...

Reactions: Whalers Fan

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
habs aren't contenders, they're a playoff team but a major dark horse. Bergevin shouldn't be going crazy imo. Maybe a dman...
they have lots of picks and there have been rumours he may be dangling norlinder, but i just don't see it.
they need to wait for kotkaniemi, suzuki and caufield to mature

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
What is Getzlaf doing these days?
54wpk8.jpg

Steveshutt

Sep 22, 2007
Want no part of Laine. Semin is the right comparison. He'll have the same value as Galchenyuk does now within 4 years.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Devils have 3 ufa defenseman (Murray, Kulikov, Vatanen). Habs could be interested in acquiring one of them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad