Speculation: Habs Interest in Konstantin Okulov

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Meet Konstantin Okulov, the KHL star the Canadiens are...

It's been talked about since last summer, but with almost no hockey to talk about I thought it wouldn't hurt to have it's own thread. The article is from M-A Godin yesterday, it's behind a paywall so please don't post anything that isn't listed for free.

For those that don't know him, he is a teammate of Romanov's and there has been talk since last year that the Habs are interested in bringing him over. He was free to come over after last season, he opted to return for 1 year so when this season is over he will be free to sign with any team. Currently CSKA is in the 2nd round of the playoffs but it has been pushed back to April 10th.

He's got decent size, not big but not small either, he is usually on the 2nd line center but he can play on the wing as well. He turned 25 last month. The leafs are said to be interested in him as well.

Konstantin Okulov at eliteprospects.com

Reactions: Edgy

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Believe they will want to have another Russian in the lineup to help smooth the transition for Romanov, whenever that is.

Last edited:

Jul 6, 2016
I think Habs gonna sign Marchenko instead of Okulov. They need a d-man to replace Folin, and marchenko has the size and enough NHL experience to play that role while making Romanov's transition to NA hockey smoother.

Reactions: DAChampion

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Another ploy to get Romanov over as quick as possible. Nothing to see.

I don't think it's a ploy as they knew he wasn't coming over last year and yet there were rumors they tried to sign him for this season.

I think Romanov to the Habs just more or less a done deal, baring a really high late stage offer by CSKA that is just too good for Romanov to turn down as his contract is up in less then 6 weeks.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
How important is it to have a fellow Russian in the room for a young guy learning the nhl ropes?

It might be something to ask Andrei Markov. In his early time, he had petrov here. I sort of remember petrov taking him under his wing, but I don't know exactly how impactful it was to his development early on.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
How important is it to have a fellow Russian in the room for a young guy learning the nhl ropes?

It might be something to ask Andrei Markov. In his early time, he had petrov here. I sort of remember petrov taking his under his wing, but I don't know exactly how impactful it was to his development early on.

I would think it helps especially for a 20 year old

Reactions: HBDay

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
think along the lines of Sekac, it would be a gamble that he can turn into something but it would be more of a long shot. I'd love it though if it meant they kept Kotka in Laval for the start of next year just to see how he does over the first few months. Keep him away from Julien until he gets his confidence going full unless of course he rips it up big time at camp/preseason.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
think along the lines of Sekac, it would be a gamble that he can turn into something but it would be more of a long shot. I'd love it though if it meant they kept Kotka in Laval for the start of next year just to see how he does over the first few months. Keep him away from Julien until he gets his confidence going full unless of course he rips it up big time at camp/preseason.

The thing is we've been down that path so many times and while we often screwed up, Sekac, Semin, Kassian, some other times it was well worth it Fleischmann and Weise, who we converted beautifully.
These moves do not move the needle however.

It's all good to go for those guys, but honestly I don't give two craps about it. We need power moves.
This is so frustrating as I had the same discussion with @417 when we signed Semin. I was through with Bergevin back then already, it was obvious back then this guy was freestyling.
Season is in limber now so I guess there's nothing to do with the NA market for now the pause.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
The Canadiens are like the Montreal roads, full of holes and stuck in eternal cheap shoddy patching.

We keep bringing these temporary hit-or-miss fixes that'll last you a year or so before it all goes to shit and they have to rip it up and patch it again.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The Canadiens are like the Montreal roads, full of holes and stuck in eternal cheap shoddy patching.

We keep bringing these temporary hit-or-miss fixes that'll last you a year or so before it all goes to shit and they have to rip it up and patch it again.
Da Bergevin way....8 yrs and counting....year 9 coming up, soon be using words, like woulda coulda shoulda, and hope.....not really the way to build a team, but Mol$on hasn't grown a set yet, so.............

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad