Post-Game Talk: Habs hold on to beat Flames, 3-2 -- Carey notches 2 milestones!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I loved seeing Kotkaniemi in the game with 3 minutes left to protect a one goal lead.

Kotkaniemi carried the puck deep into the offensive zone and only headed to the bench when he placed behind Calgary's D. He looked winded but he was on a mission and delivered.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
One guy who goes under the radar so far this season is Ouellet, I think he's playing well at both end of the ice so far this season and if I had to give Petry a partner, it would be him instead of Benn.

Reilly-Juulsen
Ouellet-Petry
Mete-Benn

He played very well tonight and his footspeed doesn't seem to be much of an issue. He was a nice pickup to be honest.

Reactions: Redux91

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
His lack of hockey sense was on full display late in the game, why he didn’t simply lift it high and send it out instead of passing in the middle of the ice is a head scratcher
It's Jordie benn!
Do you blame the fish for swimming and the birds for flying?

Bad choices ( with or without the puck) are his jam!

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
this team reeks of Julien. Sometimes it feels like I'm watching the bruins play. he has all his players committed to his structure, lines are clicking and things are going our way. i'm not sold yet, but the habs have exceeded my bottom 3 expectations going into the season. we need to keep drafting centers until we are forced to move centers to the wing.

games are fun to watch.

Poehling, Suzuki, Evans are coming soon (1-3 years). Hillis and Ollofson may be on their way too (McShane and Fonstad are probably gonna be wingers if they make it).

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I find it almost impossible to believe that Carey Price has as many wins in a Habs uniform as Patrick Roy. I guess because I watched Patrick win those cups and poor Carey hasn’t had much playoff success. But he deserves a ton of praise - Montreal isn’t a fun market to play in, especially for goalies, but he’s consistently been solid for the Habs. Almost feels like we wasted his best years though which is a damned shame.

Some random thoughts on players - Domi is a warrior. I wasn’t sold on this trade, and still think we should have got more for Galchenyuk, but Domi loves the crowd, the market, and he plays hard. He played solid again tonight and drives his line.

Jordie Benn - Awful. Awful. Awful.

Jeff Petry, Brendan Gallagher and Tatar were all horses for the Habs tonight.

Joel Armia couldn’t hit water if he fell out of a boat.

Habs dominated this game, for the majority of the time. Not often you can say that when they play the western conference teams.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Agree. Except on certain line up details. Id play:

Drouin-Domi-Byron
Tatar-Kotka-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Danault-Armia
Hudon-Peca-Shaw/Deslauriers

I think Byrons speed would match D&D much better. Lehkonen is great 2 ways and can form a great 3rd line with Danault and Armia.

Reilly-Petry
Mete-Juulsen
Benn-Ouellet

I dont like Mete with Petry. I think id rather see Reilly with Petry, taking the big minutes and Mete playing with Juulsen. Juulsen is very stable and compliments him better. Not a fan of Benn but i think the boys love him. Cant underestimate what effect that has in the room. On that note, cant wait for Weber to be back so we have a #1 D haha.

Byron would be a good experiment, but I would want Drouin on RW if that was the case. Agreed about Reilly, I think he should play with Petry until Weber is back.

Reactions: Price4Prez

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
One guy who goes under the radar so far this season is Ouellet, I think he's playing well at both end of the ice so far this season and if I had to give Petry a partner, it would be him instead of Benn.

Reilly-Juulsen
Ouellet-Petry
Mete-Benn

I gotta say, i was never really high on the guy, expectations super low

but he has easily been our 2nd best LD so far this year honestly

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I missed the game, our internet was down for 2 hours so I had to watch the nbc sports that had Sharks v Preds which was a really good game. When are they playing the Bruins?

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Right, he has not yet done enough to convince anyone but at least he’s flipped the switch that controls his brain to on. I know what you’re saying about another top player for the long run but as I’ve seen with successful junior clubs, good drafting and management can develop a team without it having to hit rock bottom. Long season, we may well get a pretty high pick. One thing though, the effort is immensely improved and the team is fun to watch. 360 change from last year.

Even though he's the one that put us in this horrible situation. I do agree he's turned his brain on, and is starting to slowly right the situation. Oh it's definitely possible, but it's been awhile since we've had a true super star forward. Kotka has the potential to be that player. But I'd like to add another. We're in total agreement about the effort. Most nights it seems like I'm watching a totally different team from the last few seasons.

Last edited:

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Drouin - Domi - Lehkonen.
Tatar - Kotkaniemi - Gallagher.
Hudon - Danault - Byron.
Scherbak - Peca - Armia.

I dunno...the lineup is working pretty well as-is IMO.

Hudon will get his chances as injuries inevitably occur.

Shaw has been playing well on the 4th line, not sure how slotting Scherbak in his place makes us any better. And I'm not sure that Scherbak is really a player worth investing in at this point.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
ByKegVC.gif

1460683566858.gif

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
It's Jordie benn!
Do you blame the fish for swimming and the birds for flying?

Bad choices ( with or without the puck) are his jam!
Great point but Clode has better options in the last minute protecting a one goal lead I would think

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Julien has made some bizarre decisions this season............and this is one for sure.............he is being used on the PP and the PK and of course 5 on 5 and no one is sure why?
Maybe it’s because he is a bigger player who is not worn down come the 3rd period, just a pure guess

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Great point but Clode has better options in the last minute protecting a one goal lead I would think

Does he?

His LD options consist of Mike Reilly, Victor Mete, Xavier Oulette, and Jordie Benn.

Take your pick.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I loved seeing Kotkaniemi in the game with 3 minutes left to protect a one goal lead.

Kotkaniemi carried the puck deep into the offensive zone and only headed to the bench when he placed behind Calgary's D. He looked winded but he was on a mission and delivered.

And then Jordie Benn stepped on the ice

Reactions: Halakitlikethat

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Thoughts:

I miss Galchenyuk but I like Domi. A lot. He is going to be an important player for us. Him, Gallagher, Kotkaniemi and Drouin are going to be the identity of this team for the next 5-10 years.

Domi and Drouin passing is so quick.

Petry deserves credit. He is filling in as a #1 and doing better than I expected. He looks great.

Drouin is frustrating but also amazing to watch. But what the hell is he doing at the point? He is always killing the play from back there.

Armia is the new Jan Bulis.

Kotkaniemi is very skilled and playing very calm for a rookie his age.

Where the hell has this Mike Rielly guy been? Carrying the puck into the zone, what confidence!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->