Rumor: Habs Have Shown Interest in Puljujarvi

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
If teams are offering up a mere 3rd round pick for JP, then the signing is good news for the Oilers.
A 3rd is bottom of the barrel value for a player who can play in the top 9, so a season in Finland offers more upside than downside.
They just have to be patient.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
That's a handful for me.
17+ games isn't really a handful but I guess it's a subjective term.
the kid was coming back from a serious injury and was not in game shape at all.
Who's fault is that? Why do we have strength and conditioning coaches and staff if the players can decide whether or not they're in game shape?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
If teams are offering up a mere 3rd round pick for JP, then the signing is good news for the Oilers.
A 3rd is bottom of the barrel value for a player who can play in the top 9, so a season in Finland offers more upside than downside.
They just have to be patient.

Pretty much my sentiment exactly. I posted it a day or two ago that this could benefit Edmonton because they hold his rights even if he's in Finland.

And this way, he develops against men. This could do two things:

1- he plays well and ups his value for a potential trade

2 - Edmonton management and Puljujarvi's camp mend fences and he returns to the Oilers.

And of course another outcome is he craps the bed and still wants out of Edmonton.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Pretty much my sentiment exactly. I posted it a day or two ago that this could benefit Edmonton because they hold his rights even if he's in Finland.

And this way, he develops against men. This could do two things:

1- he plays well and ups his value for a potential trade

2 - Edmonton management and Puljujarvi's camp mend fences and he returns to the Oilers.

And of course another outcome is he craps the bed and still wants out of Edmonton.

The opportunity lies in the pressure on Holland to get back to the playoffs asap... While ownership may be willing to embrace patience, he's got to make sure McD does as well.

Will be interesting to see how the Oilers season unfolds btw now & Xmas

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The opportunity lies in the pressure on Holland to get back to the playoffs asap... While ownership may be willing to embrace patience, he's got to make sure McD does as well.

Will be interesting to see how the Oilers season unfolds btw now & Xmas

Except that with the paltry return Puljujarvi was reported to be fetching, Holland would have to look elsewhere to be able to make any improvement of significance.

Puljujarvi staying in Finland is Holland’s best possible outcome. Let him prove himself there again and reassess next season.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Except that with the paltry return Puljujarvi was reported to be fetching, Holland would have to look elsewhere to be able to make any improvement of significance.

Puljujarvi staying in Finland is Holland’s best possible outcome. Let him prove himself there again and reassess next season.

Well, personally I'd send Byron in that trade... and he would help improve their top-9 immediately... I'm sure there are other teams that would also consider moving an established middle-6 NHLer.

Holland's best possible outcome is JP playing in Edmonton and being the impact top-6 contributor he was drafted to be... beyond that, all of the other outcomes are far from optimal. In their shoes, unless I believed strongly that JP will come around and want to play in Edm again, I'd be looking for the best "right now" talent i can get for him while the luster of the high draft slot and dominant Juniors performance is still there.

Playing in Finland is no guarantee that his value increases, and the Oilers have some broader "get competitive now" concerns that increase the risk of ending up with even less than they can get today for the asset.

Reactions: Tyson

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The cost doesn't seem prohibitive at all...

The Habs seemed to have an excess of what the Oilers are looking for.

Prospect(s) with top 9F potential? Check
Draft pick in mid rounds? Check
Player who can be traded 1 for 1 and who can play right away and has term left? Check

I know there are some red flags...but i'd take a flyer on him at that cost

Reactions: Redux91

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The cost doesn't seem prohibitive at all...

The Habs seemed to have an excess of what the Oilers are looking for.

Prospect(s) with top 9F potential? Check
Draft pick in mid rounds? Check
Player who can be traded 1 for 1 and who can play right away and has term left? Check

I know there are some red flags...but i'd take a flyer on him at that cost

Who is the prospects with Top-9 potential that could be part of such a deal? Suzuki? Poehling? Ylönen? Maybe Ikonen? I doubt Olofsson falls into that category. None of McShane, Fonstad, and Hillis belong in that category at the moment. For me, at least. All it really takes is for Edmonton to think so.

The pick is not the issue for me. It's what Top-9 prospect the Habs have that could be used in this deal?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Who is the prospects with Top-9 potential that could be part of such a deal? Suzuki? Poehling? Ylönen? Maybe Ikonen? I doubt Olofsson falls into that category. None of McShane, Fonstad, and Hillis belong in that category at the moment. For me, at least.

The pick is not the issue for me. It's what Top-9 prospect the Habs have that could be used in this deal?
Not Poehling or Suzuki...but the rest IMO are.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Who is the prospects with Top-9 potential that could be part of such a deal? Suzuki? Poehling? Ylönen? Maybe Ikonen? I doubt Olofsson falls into that category. None of McShane, Fonstad, and Hillis belong in that category at the moment. For me, at least. All it really takes is for Edmonton to think so.

I have no problem on giving Ikonen or Olofsson.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Well, personally I'd send Byron in that trade... and he would help improve their top-9 immediately... I'm sure there are other teams that would also consider moving an established middle-6 NHLer.

Holland's best possible outcome is JP playing in Edmonton and being the impact top-6 contributor he was drafted to be... beyond that, all of the other outcomes are far from optimal. In their shoes, unless I believed strongly that JP will come around and want to play in Edm again, I'd be looking for the best "right now" talent i can get for him while the luster of the high draft slot and dominant Juniors performance is still there.

Playing in Finland is no guarantee that his value increases, and the Oilers have some broader "get competitive now" concerns that increase the risk of ending up with even less than they can get today for the asset.

Puljujarvi’s ship in Edmonton has sailed so that can no longer be considered a possible outcome.

I think the return is so low for him right now that letting him spend the year in Finland is the next best option. If he really thinks he’s NHL ready, let him prove it there.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Puljujarvi’s ship in Edmonton has sailed so that can no longer be considered a possible outcome.

I think the return is so low for him right now that letting him spend the year in Finland is the next best option. If he really thinks he’s NHL ready, let him prove it there.

Not sure that EDM has anything reason to prioritize anything but their own needs right now... JP in Finland doesn't help them at all now, and looking at the relative value dominant performers in euro leagues have had in returning to the NHL, not sure that JP having a good season over there significantly ups his value in trade next summer...
Gusev, the MVP of the best league in Europe (& with 3 straight dominant regular & playoff seasons), was worth a 3rd this summer. How much can JP really up his trade value with 1 good season (assuming he avoids injury and plays an impact top-line level, neither of which are sure bets)?

For example, if the best pick offer they can get now is a 3rd+ (rumors were Holland wants at least a 2nd+), and that bumps up to a 2nd+ BC he has a good year, is that worth the opportunity-cost of getting a player that can help them now?

That's the question Holland has to answer, either way, not a great spot to be in...

Last edited:

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Trading Brook for him would be ludicrous... Not saying he wouldn’t fit in MTL, but he shouldn’t fetch more than a 3rd + grade b prospect. Not worth it otherwise imo.

I agree that 3rd + B prospect makes sense. But I'd say Juulsen and Fleury are B level prospects. Brook might not be but I don't see him as an A level prospect, maybe in between. But I'd like to see him play a full year as a pro. If it's between the 3, I'd certainly want to hold onto Brook if I could.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Not sure that EDM has anything reason to prioritize anything but their own needs right now... JP in Finland doesn't help them at all now, and looking at the relative value dominant performers in euro leagues have had in returning to the NHL, not sure that JP having a good season over there significantly ups his value in trade next summer...
Gusev, the MVP of the best league in Europe (& with 3 straight dominant regular & playoff seasons), was worth a 3rd this summer. How much can JP really up his trade value with 1 good season (assuming he avoids injury and plays an impact top-line level, neither of which are sure bets)?

For example, if the best pick offer they can get now is a 3rd+ (rumors were Holland wants at least a 2nd+), and that bumps up to a 2nd+ BC he has a good year, is that worth the opportunity-cost of getting a player that can help them now?

That's the question Holland has to answer, either way, not a great spot to be in...

Have to remember that the GM now in Edmonton is Ken Holland. And while I agree with you that the Oilers need results now, he is still the GM who instilled a culture in Detroit that preached patience with their prospects.

In Puljujarvi's case, his development has been so poorly managed by the organization that Holland is playing a bit of catch-up in his case. And playing in Finland is probably the best place for this kid to play in Holland's book. Because the AHL is out of the question. Puljujarvi said he doesn't want to go there. So if Edmonton is not an option and neither is Bakersfield, then Finland it is.

Not to say he won't be moved. But at the moment, as still a property of the Edmonton Oilers, the best course of action is Finland. And Holland may be fine with that unless he gets what he wants in a trade.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Have to remember that the GM now in Edmonton is Ken Holland. And while I agree with you that the Oilers need results now, he is still the GM who instilled a culture in Detroit that preached patience with their prospects.

In Puljujarvi's case, his development has been so poorly managed by the organization that Holland is playing a bit of catch-up in his case. And playing in Finland is probably the best place for this kid to play in Holland's book. Because the AHL is out of the question. Puljujarvi said he doesn't want to go there. So if Edmonton is not an option and neither is Bakersfield, then Finland it is.

Not to say he won't be moved. But at the moment, as still a property of the Edmonton Oilers, the best course of action is Finland. And Holland may be fine with that unless he gets what he wants in a trade.

I would disagree, and suggest that the best case at the moment for the Oilers is to get the best return possible now, and move on... For reasons previously stated.

Holland also has a history of valuing attitude very highly... Wouldn't be surprised in the least if he's already decided JP is not a fit for the culture he wants to build there... If so, again here, getting best return now makes the most sense...
- adds value he can use to improve his roster & chances of playoffs
- eliminates risk JP further decreases his value (via injury, attitude or poor play)
- sends clear & firm message to the solid amount of young talent, and to staff, about his priorities/direction of the team

We're all speculating, of course. Time will tell what Holland is thinking.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Hudon + a pick fits the description
Hudon is still young at 25, he has top 9 potential and has shown to be able to produce in his rookie season, and he can play right away next season for the oilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad