News Article: Habs grinding it out in offseason

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Forum sounds like it's changed then, I've said so many over the top things on the main boards and the worst that's happened is my ability to like posts being taken away.

People rip on any and everything around here I stg.

Btw, Tyler The Creator's new album is actually good. Giving it a listen right now and I'm surprised. Usually don't listen to creatyler like this.

Reactions: BrendanGallagher11

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
i'm sorry but thats laughable, that should be standard. The average gym goer works as hard or harder than professional hockey player, they aren't gods, the difference is high end talent in their discipline.

that might sound pretentious but it's a pet peeves for me when people go nuts over off season videos of athletes "Working hard". They are paid millions to do so. It's like i was filming one of you guys going at work and saying damn, this guy wakes up at 6am and drives to work! what a beast!

The average gym goer doesn’t work even close to as hard as nhl players

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
I remember when the Habs said Latendresse was taking power skating lessons

lol
They misunderstood, he said he was taking power naps during skating lessons. Habs brass probably believed they misheard and told everyone he said he was taking power skating lessons.

Reactions: larrypacman8167

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
The average gym goer doesn’t work even close to as hard as nhl players
Whatever makes you sleep at night. i'm sorry but you are either easily impressed, never worked out or never stepped in the gym. i have never been impressed with ANY workout i've seen from a profesionnal hockey player, anyone with a decent will can do what they do in the gym and they are paid to do that. their talent and what they do in hockey is a complete different story tho.

Ps: My Definiton of a average gym goer is someone who has a decent amount of working out knowledge and can go at the gym on a regular 4-5 times a week.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Whatever makes you sleep at night. i'm sorry but you are either easily impressed, never worked out or never stepped in the gym. i have never been impressed with ANY workout i've seen from a profesionnal hockey player, anyone with a decent will can do what they do in the gym and they are paid to do that. their talent and what they do in hockey is a complete different story tho.

Ps: My Definiton of a average gym goer is someone who has a decent amount of working out knowledge and can go at the gym on a regular 4-5 times a week.

I’m glad you changed your definition of the average gym goer to someone who is clearly not close to an average gym goer. It helps your argument a bit.

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
Apparently he's working on it,time will tell if it pays off. The guy can skate like the wind and at least can move the puck that way and get back to defend.

I doubt it will work much but oh well. If he can improve it by atleast 5% and get just a few goals a year that would be better than 0's...

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
To add up to Mete I don't believe he will ever be a top pair D. A guy who obviously will never have the ability to score doesn't belong on top pair unless he can put up assists like a Jumbo Joe. Mete is/would be fine on a 2nd D pair.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
To add up to Mete I don't believe he will ever be a top pair D. A guy who obviously will never have the ability to score doesn't belong on top pair unless he can put up assists like a Jumbo Joe. Mete is/would be fine on a 2nd D pair.
Agreed... BUT the kid was not placed in that position and has done well IMO.

Reactions: Holystik

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Apparently he's working on it,time will tell if it pays off. The guy can skate like the wind and at least can move the puck that way and get back to defend.

His shot will get better when he gets physically stronger but I don't see his shot improving that much. But yes, I read the same article where he is spending time working on his shot.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Mete has proven me wrong as time moves forward. I think the biggest question is has he topped out or will he keep getting better in the next few seasons as he heads toward prime years.

But yes, if he is who he is today, I have him playing bottom pairing with Juulsen once we find two better options on the LD side. Romanov is a start and who knows what Kulak will do in his 3 year contract. Plus, we might be drafting another LD with our 15th pick.

Reactions: 26Mats

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Well yeah, I mean these guys need to put in the effort to perform for those 82 hours plus. So I do not get impressed that time and effort is put in.

With young guys though I am interested in what they are doing because there is always something in particular they need to work on, and when they do I get excited to see what will happen come training camp. So most every young guy needs to add weight/strength to their frame and when they do, it could make a real difference from one year to the next. So sure I want to hear Kotkaniemi is building up strength and working on his skating ( his skating was fine last year but better is better ) this summer.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Juulsen being healthy is actually pretty huge for us, if he can bounce back to where he was before the injury he's a good upgrade over Folin.

Seems like we have 5 of our top-6 defensemen figured out already, Weber, Petry, Juulsen, Mete, and Kulak. Still really lacking a good top-4 LHD.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
Even then, we should be looking to upgrade on Mete, great kid but.. I wouldn’t have him on my team by choice.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Even then, we should be looking to upgrade on Mete, great kid but.. I wouldn’t have him on my team by choice.

The hope is his play will make you come around. Kid skates the puck up the ice without fear and gets back into position faster than anyone. He just needs to learn the finer aspects of the game. But we'll resume this conversation when he's 25 at the latest and see where he's at.

Reactions: cphabs

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Mete has proven me wrong as time moves forward. I think the biggest question is has he topped out or will he keep getting better in the next few seasons as he heads toward prime years.

But yes, if he is who he is today, I have him playing bottom pairing with Juulsen once we find two better options on the LD side. Romanov is a start and who knows what Kulak will do in his 3 year contract. Plus, we might be drafting another LD with our 15th pick.

In my mind the probability that he's topped is low. But yes it is a possibility. I think he'll be at least a modern day Francis Bouillon type in his prime (less physicality, more speed). But he scored a lot more than Bouillon in Junior. I think the more offensive situations he's in the more he'll get comfortable and learn to finish instead of just being happy to have the puck in the o-zone. We saw it at the end of the year last year when he was calling for one-timers at the point and stepping up more to create and make passes in the o-zone.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
In my mind the probability that he's topped is low. But yes it is a possibility. I think he'll be at least a modern day Francis Bouillon type in his prime (less physicality, more speed). But he scored a lot more than Bouillon in Junior. I think the more offensive situations he's in the more he'll get comfortable and learn to finish instead of just being happy to have the puck in the o-zone. We saw it at the end of the year last year when he was calling for one-timers at the point and stepping up more to create and make passes in the o-zone.

I just am not sure. He does seem like the type who has that hunger to improve ingredient.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
The hope is his play will make you come around. Kid skates the puck up the ice without fear and gets back into position faster than anyone. He just needs to learn the finer aspects of the game. But we'll resume this conversation when he's 25 at the latest and see where he's at.
He won’t be with us at 25, if he is that means we still haven’t won a cup and probably still far away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad