Post-Game Talk: Habs grab another point. Lose 5-4 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
Connor McDAvid is the best player in the world yet Edmonton sucks.
Why bother having the best player in the world!!
Get rid of him.
Winning is never about one guy.
But i'll take a great leader. Or a great player and try t build a team around that.
It's not Weber's fault or McDAvid's fault. They've done their parts.

McDavid has done his part...not Weber.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Great job :laugh:

7 freaking years and nothing To show for it.

GREAT JOB :laugh:

This team isn't anything special either. Remember how last season started, we heard the EXACT same comments. There is no way in hell this team can play this type of game for very long so they should enjoy the excitement while it lasts.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Serious question.....so if the Habs would have two goal leads and kept blowing them, this is less of an issue then if we were behind two goals and battled back to tie.

who has the most momentum going into OT......the team that lost the lead or the team that comes back?

now after saying all this, of course I want us scoring 3-4 goals and beating down teams 6-2 but let’s remember that these are road games vs good teams where they have the last change.

it’s far from perfect but I’ll take the 4 road pts thank you :)

Well no, that's not what I said. Canes, Leafs, Sabres blew up their lead once so far, and this is not a big deal, the Habs will give away a few leads this year... The is bound to happen over the course of 82 games.

The hypothetical you presented was the reverse of the current situation, coming back 3 times versus blowing the lead 3 times in a row. And the later is a very different animal, because something is terribly wrong when you keep giving away 2 goals lead like candies on Halloween.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
What’s bad is those other teams folding to our comebacks

imagine if we had 2 goal leads and gave them away....I’m sure the discussion would be how bad it was for the other teams to let themselves fall back 2 goals lol
Like allowing our adversary on stretching the stick to get beaten with? Losing our momentums... Getting in trouble... Making our nights harder... We haven't to do comebacks for no valuable 1909% reasons... Especially on a totally domination mode.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
I couldn't agree more. Weber's best days are waaaay behind him. Nashville was smart and unloaded him at the perfect time. Like you said, how is it that we need someone to play with him when any other #1 d-man can play with anyone. It is a constant point of contention with commentators on radio and tv and people think this is normal? He is extremely slow, injury prone and, he is NOT a physical presence on the ice anymore.

What bothers me the most is when the Preds lost in game 7 to the Sharks the year we traded for him, that's all people were talking about after their playoff exit, how bad Weber looked. Yet, our clown of a gm was the only one who didn't see that. So , you can't even say "well hindsight is 20/20" because it was already known his decline had started at the time of the trade.

Anyways, the point of all this is that this defense is terrible and no, Mete will never be a top 4/5d and Weber is on his last legs. Thank God for Petry.....who, by the way, should be traded the minute the season starts to get away from us and we fire (finally) our gm, which won't be long...

Reactions: Habano

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I really wasn't impressed with Buffalo. They definitely got some skill but they seem all over the place defensively. I remember their 10 or 11 game unbeaten streak last season was a mirage and to me they look the same. They're still a fraud and probably won't make the playoffs.

Absolutely they did everything in their power to hand us that game. They will probably fizzle like last year until they can clean up the give aways.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
McDavid has done his part...not Weber.
so the difference last year +/- weber was a mirage ?
montreal was decidedly and demonstrably better with him in the lineup.
When people said that carey price flipped the switch from the new bad price to the old good price, that this switch coincided with weber's return must have been sheer coincidence.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
This team isn't anything special either. Remember how last season started, we heard the EXACT same comments. There is no way in hell this team can play this type of game for very long so they should enjoy the excitement while it lasts.
Every beginning has a short end with us :D

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Well no, that's not what I said. Canes, Leafs, Sabres blew up their lead once so far, and this is not a big deal, the Habs will give away a few leads this year... The is bound to happen over the course of 82 games.

The hypothetical you presented was the reverse of the current situation, coming back 3 times versus blowing the lead 3 times in a row. And the later is a very different animal, because something is terribly wrong when you keep giving away 2 goals lead like candies on Halloween.

something is also wrong when you can’t put away a team with a 2 goal lead or 3 goal lead heading into the 3rd on your home ice.

I believe it’s just the beginning of season stuff that teams need to adjust too, everyone is all over the place.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Yeah we could easily make a case for blowing our playoff when we handed the Rags a game we had in the bag last year. Thank You Domi. It happens.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Shea Weber signed a 14 year, $110,000,000 contract in 2012 with the Nashville Predators (by matching the Flyers' offer sheet), including a $68,000,000 signing bonus, $110,000,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $7,857,143. In 2019-20, Weber will earn a base salary of $6,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $7,857,143. His contract mercifully ends in the 2025-26 season when he will be 41 years old.

There is no doubt that father time has caught up with the burly defenseman whose skills will tail off each subsequent year.

Last edited:

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
No team plays 60 minutes, most particularly at the start of the season. Buffalo won the game, but they did not put in a 60-minute effort.
Just one team is having the totality of the points. It’s always about little specific details at the end of the day...

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
something is also wrong when you can’t put away a team with a 2 goal lead or 3 goal lead heading into the 3rd on your home ice.

I believe it’s just the beginning of season stuff that teams need to adjust too, everyone is all over the place.

It's not really wrong if you have a single occurrence of it tho. No team will finish the season with a 100% win ratio for the games they led after 2 period. Last year the best team in that regard was the Leafs (97%) and only 11 teams managed to keep a win% above 90%.

And as far as 3rd period come back are concerned, the best team and by far was below .500 at 43% and the Habs were 3rd with a mere 24% win ratio. So like I said, it's not a situation you want to be in often because the odds are stacked against you in the long run.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
so the difference last year +/- weber was a mirage ?
montreal was decidedly and demonstrably better with him in the lineup.
When people said that carey price flipped the switch from the new bad price to the old good price, that this switch coincided with weber's return must have been sheer coincidence.

They played just as good without Weber. The team's better defensive play (resulting in Price's better #'s) was a direct result of a change in coach from Bozovin's friend (JJ. Daigneault) to Richardson.

HabsEstrie

Sep 30, 2017
Shea Weber signed a 14 year, $110,000,000 contract in 2012 with the Nashville Predators (by matching the Flyer's offer sheet), including a $68,000,000 signing bonus, $110,000,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $7,857,143. In 2019-20, Weber will earn a base salary of $6,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $7,857,143. His contract mercifully ends in the 2025-26 season when he will be 41 years old.

There is no doubt that father time has caught up with the burly defenseman whose skills will tail off each subsequent year.

I bet the Jets would take him right about now lol

I love Shea Weber, our Captain

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
I bet the Jets would take him right about now lol

I love Shea Weber, our Captain
"In 2019-20, Weber will earn a base salary of $6,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $7,857,143". Weber's current cap hit is greater than the vacillating Big Buff's cap hit should he decides against retiring.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Let's not sugarcoat the fact that Shea Weber is no Mark Messier in terms of being an inspiring captain. Weber might be closer to a soft spoken Ron Francis but without a Stanley Cup to his name.

Privy to what goes on behind the scene? Prefer Weber over Patch any day. Gainey wasn't the most demonstrative or vocal publicly,but was a great captain.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Lol, Shea Weber is only playing for the Montreal Canadiens because he didn't have one of those fancy no-trade clauses like so many players have today. He will be remembered in the same way that Brian Gionta is as a captain of the habs. Some of you need to open your eyes, it would be refreshing.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Shea Weber signed a 14 year, $110,000,000 contract in 2012 with the Nashville Predators (by matching the Flyers' offer sheet), including a $68,000,000 signing bonus, $110,000,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $7,857,143. In 2019-20, Weber will earn a base salary of $6,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $7,857,143. His contract mercifully ends in the 2025-26 season when he will be 41 years old.

You have zero evidence his game is much different today than it was when he was 29 or 30. In fact, his age 30+ stats are on par or better than his career stats. But yeah, he has off games and faster players give him a hard time. In case you have not noticed, that has been the case his entire career.

Plus his contract is designed for him to retire after his age 37 season when his salary drops to $1M from age 38-40. Not sure where you got the 41 from and how you are ignoring that his contract is cap circumventing where it's designed for him to retire at 37.

Your post if full of propaganda and lacks evidence and context to support whatever you are trying to say

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
They played just as good without Weber. The team's better defensive play (resulting in Price's better #'s) was a direct result of a change in coach from Bozovin's friend (JJ. Daigneault) to Richardson.
that's rich

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
You have zero evidence his game is much different today than it was when he was 29 or 30. In fact, his age 30+ stats are on par or better than his career stats. But yeah, he has off games and faster players give him a hard time. In case you have not noticed, that has been the case his entire career.

Plus his contract is designed for him to retire after his age 37 season when his salary drops to $1M from age 38-40. Not sure where you got the 41 from and how you are ignoring that his contract is cap circumventing where it's designed for him to retire at 37.

Your post if full of propaganda and lacks evidence and context to support whatever you are trying to say

Propaganda is when one proclaim the paragon of leadership and character will quit because he's not getting paid enough... Time wise, this will probably coincide with the time the current youngsters hit their peaks and Weber's AAV vs quality of play become a burden... ain't that convenient for us...

Presumptions are not evidences. Your post is full of the former with none of the later.

Reactions: Habano
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad