Post-Game Talk: Habs Got the Blues.... The No Point Blues.... Stl 4 Mtl 1

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I am all for moving him if the return is good. But define that for me?

Drouin is signed at 5.5 and on pace to be a 60ish point player. He is also still quite young. A comparable for points and cap hit would be Jordan Eberle.

I could see there being a bigger issue with him if it was because he was making 7M putting him on the same map as Huberdeau, Pastrnak, Gaudreau etc. Or if he was on pace for 46 points again like last season.

Again, if the return makes sense lets do it! But I'm not jumping on that bandwagon until I know what that could mean? Trading him for a reclamation project like Strome? NO WAY! A highly regarded prospect? Or another young forward?

Anyways let me know what you think

Again, you're choosing to go into wanton speculation into deficit territory (like your "reclamation project" example). I've never once alluded or suggested that we should be entertaining this.

I'm well aware that Drouin on his own won't fetch quite enough. All I'm suggesting is to add to Drouin to get that better player, regardless of position.

Obviously, if we can use him to get a top puck moving LHD in our best deal, in a package, then let's do that. We'd then both fill a glaring need and trade away someone who, after 5 years in the league, continues to make the same mistakes.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Arent u the guy who absolutely loves Weber and who keeps trying to bash on me for anything bad I say about Weber???
If not my bad.

Holy crap

I hate that trade and tge bonehead who made it down to the marrow of my bones.

I watched PK get drafted, dominate the WJC, AHL and then just couldnt wait to see him play with other Habs fav, Markov.

Clear enough

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
We need to hire the Flex Seal guy.

Have a leaky PP or D unit?

giphy.gif
:laugh:

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Toronto got lucky! Toronto did **** all apart from that.

I just don't see how some new management could've reinvented everything, it's wishful thinking imo.

Again, c'est pas comme ca que ca marche!

You would get what your top players need? How? With magic beans?

First, i'm not paid 5 millions to do this all day.
Second, is our 1st round pick this year is magic beans? His Suzuki at this point a magic beans? Let's talk about Tatar in a career year or Shaw that we don't really need or maybe even Drouin.......there's many ways to do this.

As for Toronto, they did trade a 1st and 2nd to get one of their core players and they would probably be middle of the pak without him.

It's very true that this team is build through trades more than it is with the Draft but some of the draft picks were swapped for other younger players. However, the last 7 years of drafting are not done yet. It's more than just Lehkonen, Mete, Kotkaniemi.

Look at the Bruins since 2012: Pastrnak, Debrusk, McAvoy. This trumps what the Habs have (Lehkonen, Mete, Kotkaniemi) but why can't we count the Sergachev/Drouin and Galchenyuk/Domi swaps? What about our picks from 2017 and 2018?

If we traded Sergachev and Galchenyuk for older players, then it's a problem. But we didn't. We acquired other younger assets that are under team control.

You forgot Carlo who is a top 4 D already not to mention that Donato and Heinen have good starts in the NHL....so they got more than the Habs without having any top 10 picks....Bergevin got 3 top 10 picks.

He traded Sergachev for an older player, not much, but still older. The things is the following, i'm pretty sure that if Bergevin would have trade his 3rd overall pick in 2012 or the following year, the value of that piece would have been a lot higher than it was the day he traded Galchenyuk.

Yes, it SEEMS we have good pieces coming but then again, will they worked out? At some point DLR, Galchenyuk, Collberg, Kristo, Thrower, McCarron, Beaulieu were supposed to also be good pieces for the future....will it be the same thing, will Bergevin wait long enough so they're value will drop to 0 like McCarron and Scherbak (Who were also supposed part of the "future" back then).

Imagine the pieces we could have added with those 2 first round picks that became McCarron and Scherbak.......when you realize that you're not that good at drafting and developping, that's what you do.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
First, i'm not paid 5 millions to do this all day.
Second, is our 1st round pick this year is magic beans? His Suzuki at this point a magic beans? Let's talk about Tatar in a career year or Shaw that we don't really need or maybe even Drouin.......there's many ways to do this.

As for Toronto, they did trade a 1st and 2nd to get one of their core players and they would probably be middle of the pak without him.

Again man! You're sitting there comfortably on your couch in front of your PC and you feel like you know everything... I'm sorry for saying it but get real FFS!

All your assumptions are only that, assumptions!

Your crazy trades remain crazy trades.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Still trying to figure out how a team can not be prepared when the puck drops.

Somebody needs to seriously have a talk with Drouin, Yzerman knew who to fleece.

Yanni Gourde, undrafted player from the Q is light years better than this primadona.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
Weber is not overly speedy and does not move around much on the pp and that does not help, our whole pp for that matter has most guys standing still and it is easy to defend. We lack a sniper that would give us another option instead of just us relying on Weber and his shot from the point.

I loved when PK and Markov would pass the puck to each other 2/3 times and one of then would smash it home. I mean, it wasn't the best PP we've had in the last 15 years but.

Nothing will beat having Markov and Kovalev on the PP. The sheer excitement of getting a PP and knowing it would end up in a goal or in a bunch of chances.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Move domi to the 4th line ;) and roll it on a consistent basis. Atleast 11 to 14 minutes with mixed pp time and different linemates.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Knowing his shortcomings, how much longer should management be putting up with Drouin? Last year's excuse had to do with him being forced to play a position he wasn't suited for. What's this year's excuse? Sometimes you have to cut your losses quickly or move pre-emptively, before his trade value is impacted.

And no one is saying to give him away. Do what they must to try to add to him and see if they can't get a better player in return.
Drouin could be a Kessel lite type of contributor on a team with a solid 1-2-3 first line if you get where I am going here? He could be an interchangeable part if you will, warts in his game yes but never havong to be placed in a position where he was completely depended on in a first line role. He got here too early and like some have mentioned which I initially objected to, a place like Colorado could be a prime place for him.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
It’s funny how when the team is hot some guys get excited. But when the team is in a mini slump some other guys get excited.

The worse this team plays the more come back out of the shadows and beat their chests.

It is a rebuilding group. Growing pains to be expected. Try to enjoy the process. I have low expectations of this group and thus I’ve enjoyed what I’ve seen so far.

I was saying this team isn't good at the beginning.

This team isn't good and needs better prospects. A top 10 pick would be great for this team and start trying for the playoffs next year.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Drouin could be a Kessel lite type of contributor on a team with a solid 1-2-3 first line if you get where I am going here? He could be an interchangeable part if you will, warts in his game yes but never havong to be placed in a position where he was completely depended on in a first line role. He got here too early and like some have mentioned which I initially objected to, a place like Colorado could be a prime place for him.

Reunite him with MacKinnon. What could we get from Colorado?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad